Please help

I am on the Cambridge/slim and save (I use the Cambridge drinks and the slim and save bars because I cannot choke down the CD bars lol) I am sick of water and have started drinking the occasional glass of coke zero. I will drink maybe a bottle in 7 days, so about a glass a day. I also decided to make some into a jelly using pork gelatine. I was under the impression that coke zero was okay, because it's zero carbs and doesn't contain citric acid, but now I'm reading that aspartame isn't allowed on low carb diets? Am I doing something I shouldn't? I drink coffee and that hasn't stalled me, so I'm not sensitive to that. If any CD councillors see this or someone who know's the answer, I'd be very grateful if you'd reply :) My CD councillor is on holiday, which is why I am not able to ask her.

Aspartame will not affect your weightloss negatively. Many vlcd foods use it. There have been concerns as to how healthy it is so it is a plus if you can manage to avoid it (some people report side affects and others say it is toxic - I don't think anyone is certain as to how serious the health concerns are, but it obviously has not been banned. The stuff I am on at the moment uses it and I am not planning to reorder when they are gone, but I will use them until then.

The Cambridge diet water flavourings have aspartame in so in small doses it must be ok.

Not only do the water flavourings contain aspartame, but the shakes do as well, only the bars, soup and tetras contain no aspartame. The only vlcd that I know of that doesn't contain aspartame is exante. But it tastes so bland that I used to add a sweetener (aspartame) to it, now I live off tetras and bars.

Please also bear in mind that Cambridge is low carb almost by accident. :) It isn't as low carb as say the induction level of Atkins, for example. The reason Cambridge works so well is because it's very low calorie, not because it's very low in carbs. Low carbers who aren't doing VLCDs may tell you that aspartame causes stalls - but generally low carbers are eating a heck of a lot more calories than we do on Cambridge. The calorie deficit created by doing Cambridge is a pretty big one - that's why it works so well. The low carb thing helps to keep hunger at bay - it isn't actually the reason that Cambridge works. :)

Please also bear in mind that Cambridge is low carb almost by accident. :) It isn't as low carb as say the induction level of Atkins, for example. The reason Cambridge works so well is because it's very low calorie, not because it's very low in carbs. Low carbers who aren't doing VLCDs may tell you that aspartame causes stalls - but generally low carbers are eating a heck of a lot more calories than we do on Cambridge. The calorie deficit created by doing Cambridge is a pretty big one - that's why it works so well. The low carb thing helps to keep hunger at bay - it isn't actually the reason that Cambridge works. :)

Good point

Back