please help!

jadexox

hiya everyone,

i'm jade and i'm a student at college. i guess i've always been curvy, but i knew i'd definately been putting on weight the last couple of years, especially in year 11 and college. i've had to start buying quite a lot bigger in my clothes, and just how i look and feel i guess. its never really bothered me that much because i'm pretty happy in general so i don't let it bother me.

i don't really weigh myself, but i was at a mate's house last night in the loo, and i saw her scales and decided to weigh myself out of curiosity. oh my day, was that a shock, 18st 10. i knew i'd put on weight but i didnt think i was as heavy as that!

would really appreciate any advice. is it really as bad as i think or am i just overreacting and being a drama queen? i know i probably need to lose a bit of weight, but ive never really been on a diet before, and i honestly dont know where to start.

hope all that makes sense, and looking forward to chatting to everyone :)

jade
x

Hi Jade,

Don't worry! If you want to start loosing weight there are so many different diets that may work for you.

Have you considered Sliming World? Do a little research, find your local class and join up! It's a community which supports each other reach their goal weight. I joined January 2018 and I am very close to my 4 stone target!

I don't starve myself (opposite in fact), i drink alcohol, eat take aways but count syns! I also exercise, it speeds up the weight loss and is so good for anxiety and mental health as well as physical health. I walk/jog/run for 30-45 minutes 3/4 times a week, and I dance. I either go to my local aerobic dance class or I watch fitness marshall on youtube.

If I can help with anything at all, I am happy to help!

Good Luck !! xx

I would begin by visiting your GP for a health check and some advice. Then maybe join with a friend or two so that you can support each other. There are lots of diet plans to be had and you will find one that will fit into your lifestyle and is within your budget. Good luck!

I would begin by visiting your GP for a health check and some advice. Then maybe join with a friend or two so that you can support each other. There are lots of diet plans to be had and you will find one that will fit into your lifestyle and is within your budget. Good luck!

aww thanks for replying :) really hate going to my GP tbh, always avoid it whenever i can! haha

You need to do your research, youtube is a fantastic resource. Also read The Obesity Code, its what finally woke me up and put me on the right path. I started in June last year snd hit target in December but key to me was giving up all sugar and carbs. If you can do low carb then its the healthiest and most effective weight loss and im much much older than you, im 64 and for the first time in my life im slim.

Hi Jadexoxo...it's very overwhelming isn't it?

You sound very sensible though. I'd say start slow. Do you know what height you are? I know there are some arguments about BMI but you could find out what weight you should be for you BMI and make that a long term goal.

Right now I'd say start with smaller goals. I'm finding slimming world great tbh. But you would need the support at home. Very difficult to do if you eat dinner with your family or you're not in charge of weekly shop. Maybe talk to whoever is and see if they on board to support you...ask your aunt to go through it with you and help you plan a weeks menu. There is so much choice you can actually eat the things you like and still loose weight (within reason lol!). Just Google recipies on line...I always put in the word 'easy' so I get simple recipies!!!

Get yourself a nice diary and write down everything you eat in one section. In another (like the back few pages) I drew a wall of blocks...each block representing a half lb that I wanted to loose to get to my next goal. I didn't do all the way to end goal as visually that would be too overwhelming for me and I'd just cry!

I also downloaded couch to 5k app. I had to really, really push myself out at first. I went late when I thought nobody I knew would see me (that's just me though, I'm very self conscious). By week 4 I was loving it! I couldn't believe it. It was the best exercise programme I ever started...then I injured my knee and I was devastated (I twisted it at an exercise class). But I'd definitely say give it a try and stick with it a few weeks. I think i did a few of the weeks twice iykwim. If the pace got too much for me, I didn't give up, I just went back a week or few days, just to motivate myself again.

Anyway, that's my advice. You've had a bit of shock & you're maybe not where you want to be. Don't let it take over but a few small changes will make a difference.

Very best of luck & I hope I haven't thrown too much at you. Xx

ok, so my aunt is currently doing slimming world and she really recommends it! i'm thinking about joining up - do you think it sounds like a good option for me?

I would say if you think you're too heavy and are questioning it then you probably are. I think it's a personal opinion and only you can decide.

As for Slimming World, I couldn't recommend it enough. I'm now 11st 9lbs down in 10 months. My diet has completely changed but it's not boring and I'm not limited too much to what I can eat.

Whilst I regret not going to a meeting, I know if you wanted to do Slimming World from home and for free you could easily do it. A lot who go to local meetings seem to end up making good friends and often finding classes or other groups to join outside of SW to keep them motivated.

I would also say, if you're not sure on starting Slimming World, maybe check out all the ones you're thinking of doing, look at what they would limit you to and what you would have to ditch from your current diet and think whether you would enjoy it or not. I think it's really important you find something you would enjoy sticking to to keep it up. I know people who are on and off diets regularly and when on it are always saying how much they hate it and it never lasts more than a few weeks and they're back to how they were, I'm sure it's due to them hating everything they're doing!

Good luck with what you choose to do.

Back