Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Weekly round up (covering a week and a half this time, as I'm shifting from Monday to Thursday)

Goals this week:

Drink 8 glasses of water each day. Done on all but 3 days.

Avoid having wheat more than once per day. Done on all but 3 days.

Have a cupboard clearout. Not done, not at all. I sort of lost steam on this one!

Weight loss this week: 1lb

I was under my calories 4 days this week and over them 5. One day was exactly bang on target and one day was completely uncalculated.

I want that pizza too, it sounds really good!

I think you could probably do this at home (in fact, I'm going to try at some point with a wholegrain pizza base) - just roll/stretch your base to normal size (it's a thin crust) and then cut around a small plate and remove the middle. Top and bake. (the one I had had passata sauce with Prosciutto cotto ham, light mozzarella, portobello mushrooms, yellow peppers and thyme on it - the ham and mozzarella were alternated going around the circle, not both all over the whole thing) Then put a nice rocket and cherry tomato salad in the middle. Job done! :D

Last edited:
Goals for the upcoming week:

Drink 8 glasses of water per day. (I'm going to keep listing this one for a few more weeks until the habit is really ingrained)

Have a cupboard clearout. (If at first you don't succeed...)

I can only think of two at the moment; I don't think I'm feeling very motivated.

(Actually, that's not quite true. I can think of a few more, but they're all things like "buy more squirty cream" and "eat at least 1 avocado a day" and "make chocolate-covered almonds" which I don't think will be very helpful to the overall cause.)

Cool idea with the pizza, I will need to try to make it one day:)

You're goals for the week sounds nice. Also the chocolate almonds sound mmmmmm!

Goals for the upcoming week:

I can only think of two at the moment; I don't think I'm feeling very motivated.

(Actually, that's not quite true. I can think of a few more, but they're all things like "buy more squirty cream" and "eat at least 1 avocado a day" and "make chocolate-covered almonds" which I don't think will be very helpful to the overall cause.)

I know the feeling:D

Today has been pretty quiet. It's been lovely and sunny so I got out to soak that up for a bit! Also good news, our cat had a checkup today and the vet says he can stop his medicine (which is already greatly reduced) in a week and that he looks like he'll recover 100% without complications. I'm so relieved!

Feeling good about today's food, it's been a tasty day.

Breakfast: flat mushrooms with baked beans and poached egg on top, and milk (this was simple but yummy, it's going onto my regular rotation!)

Lunch: soba (buckwheat) noodle salad with rocket pesto, tomato, avocado and ricotta - this was a small portion but quite rich, I didn't feel hungry for aaaages

Snack: herby oatcakes w/lowfat cheddar spread, blueberries

Dinner: chickpea and veg curry, leftover spiced runner beans and stirfried quorn

Snack: mini dark chocolate bar

Congratulations on kitty getting the ok from the vet :) Good to hear that kitty is better now :)

Ohh your food does sound yummy! Mmmmmm. I love soba, I was raised on them :)

I do like soba noodles although I find my cooking technique is a bit hit and miss, often they clump together or are under/overcooked. Any tips for getting them just right?

Boil them, and stir them so they don't clump. I cook them pretty much the same way I do spaghetti. Checking a piece of noodle to see how cooked they are, and stirring them while they cook. :)

Thanks Cali, that's what we do too but somehow it usually goes wrong! Ah well. Still tasty even if they aren't quite right! :D

Bit sore/tired today so it's been fairly unremarkable.

Breakfast: baked bean/mushroom/poached egg combo

Lunch: brocolli/salmon/Philly pasta

Snack: multi-grain crispbread with lowfat cheddar spread, pear

Dinner: blueberry beef burgers (from Rick Gallop) with rye bread, tomato/mozzarella salad, and steamed baby courgettes from the garden

Snack: tiny chocolate bar

In a way I'm looking forward to going back to work next week as I won't keep having breakfast so late!

Your food looks really good today. The blueberry beef burgers sound tastey. Is it actual blueberries in the burger?

Yes you blend the blueberries along with flavourings (mustard, worcestershire sauce etc) and mix it into the burgers along with ground flaxseeds and a few oats.

(my goodness, the trouble we are having trying to grind the stupid flaxseeds, who would have thought tiny seeds could cause so much strife?)

(if we ever manage to get the things ground and eat the burgers I'll put the recipe in the recipe thread if they're nice!)

I've tried grinding flaxseeds in the food processor and with my mortar when I was doing low carb. It was a lot of work that took a very long time. I wonder if there is ground flaxseeds?

The burger does sound very yummy :)

You can buy ground flaxseeds but they go rancid really quickly I think.

We do have a little mini mill that grinds them quite nicely, but see the chickpea thread for what happened before that....

Ok I will go look at the chickpea thread.

Well, today has been really surreal. After 2 hours sleep, the husband and I left home at 4:30 a.m. to go on a hot air balloon flight! We had some vouchers for a ride at a localish balloon festival and this morning was the only time that weather allowed. It was amazing! Really fantastic. Because it was part of a festival there were about 15 other balloons up at the same time, which was just beautiful. We took off in some fog/mist, sailed over Dartmoor for about an hour, and skidded on our backs to a halt in a field after bouncing vigorously along the ground for a bit. I want to be a hot weather balloon pilot when I grow up! :D

We had tried to have a healthy breakfast by packing porridge in a food Thermos, but it had solidified into a sort of rubberised putty by the time we returned to earth. We accepted that our destiny was to eat in a cafe for breakfast. And to have tea and cake on the way home at a National Trust property. And to have cheese on toast after we woke up from a nap. And to have Chinese takeaway for dinner because we were so tired! Takeout food is a real last-ditch option for us because we have to make a 30 minute round trip to collect it.

Needless to say I have NOT tracked my food today and I very much doubt that my blood sugar resembled the nice smooth graph in all the books. ;)

On the plus side, I had no desire whatsoever to weigh myself this morning, and I probably won't tomorrow either after what I ate today!

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, and a thick piece of granary toast (with jam :eek:) and a decaff latte

Snack: decaff tea, and one bite of apple cake (just too sweet!)

Snack: lowfat cheddar on rye bread toast

Dinner: chicken with cashews in yellow bean sauce, stir-fried mixed vegetables, a tiny bit of egg-fried rice and beef with mushrooms and bamboo shoots, and a chicken satay stick

Attachments

• up_in_the_sky.jpg
    up_in_the_sky.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 23
Wow beautiful picture! That's really cool that you went on a hot air ballon ride :)

That's major credit for packing breakfast with you:) Maybe the high altitude caused it to cool quickly.

Your food today doesn't sound bad at all for eating out. I think you did great on your choices :)

Wow Plum- I love your picture it looks amazing! A couple of years ago when we lived closer to the city, they used to have crack-of-dawn hot air balloon rides across the city at a weekend. I didn't have a car then so I'd be walking to the train station whilst the sun was just coming up with the silouettes of dozens of low flying hot air balloons - it was so beautiful :)

Back