Polenta...

Treats

Silver Member
Ok I give in... I remember seeing polenta in a recipe but can I find it and seeing as I have never used it before...

what can I make with it?

and

does it have syns if I do?

(like they say with the cous cous cake?)

Thanks all

Hmmmm the only thing i've ever made with polenta was a pie sortof thing... and it wasn't very nice at all :(

If you have the ready-made polenta then you could just cut it into slices and fry it in frylight.

Sorry I cant help on the syn-side of things...

Good luck!

OOOOOOOH!!! just found this online. just take the oil out of the recipe to make it free on green :D

Ingredients
For the base
140g/5oz polenta
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 egg yolk

For the topping
1 tbsp vegetable oil
¼ red onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 baby plum tomatoes, chopped
handful of spinach leaves
handful of basil leaves, chopped
tomato puree
splash of Tabasco
85g/3oz goats' cheese, cut into chunks
few artichoke hearts

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
2. To make the dough, place the polenta in a bowl and add enough boiling water to make a firm paste.
3. Season the mixture and stir in the egg yolk to combine.
4. Roll the mixture out on a floured surface to form a rough circle.
5. Place the pizza base on a greased baking sheet and bake in the oven for 3-4 minutes.
6. For the topping, heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic for two minutes to soften.
7. Add the tomatoes, spinach, basil, ketchup and Tabasco and simmer for one minute.
8. Scatter the topping over the pizza base and sprinkle with the cheese then the artichokes.
9. Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
10. Serve.

It can be used for all kinds of things... the west indians make a sort of "porridge" out of it. In America we make a bread from it. It is also fantastic for making cakes and stuff with (though I don't know of a SW cake recipe using Polenta). It's quite versatile. Though I haven't been able to find the syn value in my books (and can't access SW online from here at work).

Just try Googling polenta and you'll find all kinds of recipes. It's wonderful stuff!

It can be used for all kinds of things... the west indians make a sort of "porridge" out of it. In America we make a bread from it. It is also fantastic for making cakes and stuff with (though I don't know of a SW cake recipe using Polenta). It's quite versatile. Though I haven't been able to find the syn value in my books (and can't access SW online from here at work).

Just try Googling polenta and you'll find all kinds of recipes. It's wonderful stuff!

100g polenta free on green. 18syns on original.!!!

Oooo have you tried this before Karen? So it can be used as a pizza base ... interesting!

i haven't tried it yet, but will definately be giving it a go VERY SOOOOOOOOOON :D

Wow tina that is loads!!!!!!!

Let me know Karen... what you come up with... mine is on the bottom self of the bottom cupboards and back won't allow me to get down there at the moment.... so hurry up as I want to know haha :giggle:

I'm going to give this a go this week and let you know how it is. Instead of buttermilk I will try using skimmed milk (HEX) mixed with some vinegar (makes a great alternative for buttermilk) and will omit the shortening. That should hopefully make it syn free! (the cornmeal = polenta)

Cornbread I - Allrecipes

Chilli corn bread

Hi made this today & it was really tasty. Thought if it was made a bit thinner it would also make a really tasty pizza base too!!

Ingredients:

fry light
250g/9oz fine polenta
1 tsp baking powder
salt & pepper plenty of it!
4 large eggs lightly beaten
300g/11oz very low fat natural yogurt
275g/10oz canned sweetcorn kernals drained
2 mild green chilli's deseeded & finely chopped
200g/7oz bottled roasted red peppers in brine rinsed drained & finely chopped
6 spring onions finely sliced

METHOD:
preheat the oven to 170/gas 3 spray a 20cm/8in baking tin with fry light.
Mix together the polenta & baking powder & season well.
In a jug combine the beaten egg & yogurt & pour into the polenta mixture, add the sweetcorn, chillies, red pepper & spring onions & stir lightly to combine.
Pour the batter into the flan dish & bake in the oven for 35-40mins until firm & lightly browned on top, cut the warm bread into squares or slices & serve immediately.

Syns per serving
Green Free
Original 12 1/2

Hi made this today & it was really tasty. Thought if it was made a bit thinner it would also make a really tasty pizza base too!!

Ingredients:

fry light
250g/9oz fine polenta
1 tsp baking powder
salt & pepper plenty of it!
4 large eggs lightly beaten
300g/11oz very low fat natural yogurt
275g/10oz canned sweetcorn kernals drained
2 mild green chilli's deseeded & finely chopped
200g/7oz bottled roasted red peppers in brine rinsed drained & finely chopped
6 spring onions finely sliced

METHOD:
preheat the oven to 170/gas 3 spray a 20cm/8in baking tin with fry light.
Mix together the polenta & baking powder & season well.
In a jug combine the beaten egg & yogurt & pour into the polenta mixture, add the sweetcorn, chillies, red pepper & spring onions & stir lightly to combine.
Pour the batter into the flan dish & bake in the oven for 35-40mins until firm & lightly browned on top, cut the warm bread into squares or slices & serve immediately.

Syns per serving
Green Free
Original 12 1/2

So you have to cook the polenta first before adding to this one?

Also what sort of texture should you get... I mean I have never eaten polenta and have it still sat here... doh I should just use it shouldn't I....

Karen what did you have as in recipes?

Hi there

Not really sure how to reply to an individual post, so for the person who asked what the polenta bread was like:

It was a much heavier texture than bread, so I could only eat one piece with a meal, had a very Italian feel!!

Best eaten warm, so will just warm it up in microwave to go with some meals over next few days (loads left!!).

Really tasty, will deffo be making it again.

Although I may put it into a larger tin & cook it as a larger thinner bread, about the thickness of naan bread.

May also try a few different flavours with the basic recipe.

And YES YOU SHOULD USE YOUR POLENTA!!! LOL!! :D

Lisa x

Back