Popcorn Mystery...

Lozzy Gozzy

Silver Member
I keep reading that air popped popcorn is a low calorie snack, something like 30 calories per cup, but I don't know how you make it or if you can buy it...

Is it just an american thing??

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I wouldn't mind eating a cup of popcorn for 30 calories! lol

Thankyouuuuuuuuuuu! :)

You can buy it unpopped, (and pop it in the microwave, or a sealed fry pan, or there are special popping machines available) or buy it popped. (In the chips part of the supermarket) If you buy it in a microwave bag to pop at home, or already popped, be wary, 'cause most have higher cal contents.

You can buy it unpopped, (and pop it in the microwave, or a sealed fry pan, or there are special popping machines available) or buy it popped. (In the chips part of the supermarket) If you buy it in a microwave bag to pop at home, or already popped, be wary, 'cause most have higher cal contents.

Thankyou for the advice minusfour, that's been really helpful, much appreciated! :)

hi just wondering do u pop that in normal vegetable oil or does fry light work. thanks

I'm off to Sainsburys tonight to buy some popping kernals, I think it just tells you to pop it into a microwavable container with nothing added... I'll get back to you tonight! Fingers crossed it works eh and there no popcorn disaster in my house tonight! :p

Let us know how you get on with the microwave, it would be a handy snack. I don't think I've ever had unsalted popcorn- which I should, will you put salt on yours?

I put mine in a pre-heated heavy bottomed pan with lid. I dry pop it making sure I swirl the pan every so often to keep them moving as much as possible. Afterward it has stopped popping take off the lid (to stop it getting soggy in the steam)

I spray with butter flavoured fry light and sprinkle with a little salt and smoked paprika. To make sweet, try dusting with a little icing sugar while still hot

Dry popped isn't quite as nice as when you use oil, but much fewer calories. (and you just get adventurous with the toppings to make up for it)

xxxx

Heyy everyone!

Thankyou for all the replies, they've been a big help and I really appreciate it! :D

Well... I did it! I bought some popping corn from Sainsbury's, followed the instructions, did it in the microwave... sprayed with fry-light and sprinkled with cinnamon and sweetener (sweet) and mild curry powder (savoury) and... YUM!

Give it a try for a low-calorie snack peeps! :D x

I went through a faze of popping the kernals in a pan and was great, especially if you could get all the black marks off quickly. However my wife tried with some honey(!??) and ruined a pan and so has decided that popcorn making is not s good idea. (Shes the boss). I'm going to ask for popcorn maker at xmas as they were very filling.

Back