Porridge

Fruitybabe

Hi guys :) I was wondering how do you make porridge with water and still make it taste nice? I got some oats in
My shop and don't want to have use my A on milk so any thoughts would be appreciated :)
Oh an I also lost 3lb tonight so half of Christmas gain gone already yay :D

Well done on your 3 pound loss.i have porridge made with water i then add fat free yogurt to make it creamy its lovely.

I make porridge with water in the microwave and add a small pinch of salt, because I prefer it savoury. I sometimes add some sunflower seeds after the porridge has cooked, for added texture, although obviously I have to syn those.

By "make it taste nice" do you mean sweet? If so, you can add sweetener, or jam or syrup (syns, obviously). Or you could add fruit if you let it cool down a bit.

But I was taught by a Scot how to do it, and was told that the only way was with water and salt and that's how I got used to it! Oh, and you have to eat it standing up. No idea why!

Last edited:
I only put the smallest splash of low fat milk in my porridge. It's made with mostly water. I also put a sprinkle of cinnamon and a tablespoon of sweetener in, and a banana (chopped and frozen the night before so it goes more mushy and makes the porridge more creamy - I add the banana chunks at the end and brings it to a good eating temperature).

PS If you've got a load of over ripening banana you can chop a freeze the lot ready for porridge mornings as well. I keep my eye out for reduced overripe bananas at the supermarket now I've realised this works.

Thanks guys. How much water do you put with it? I have only ever made it with milk but want to start saving my A choice so was wondering what proportions you use for the water to the oats. All these ideas sound yummy will have to try them, need to master the water bit first though lol :)

Thanks happy :) I just don't know how much water to add do you add the same as you would for milk and is it cold or do you boil it first?
Sorry for all the questions just want to get it right :)

Same amount of water as the milk, pour it in cold & do exactly as you'd do when u make it with milk.

Congratulations on your 3lbs loss. :D

Back