Porridge

linski24

Gold Member
I like Quaker rolled oats for brekkie but whenever I do, within an hour I'm starving .. And I really mean starving ..!!!! I thought porridge oats are low GI and fab......
Any help re: this would be great
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

How do you prepare them, how much do you have, and what do you have with them?

plum x

Edit: ps are they instant or do they take some time to cook?

Plumfoodie said:
How do you prepare them, how much do you have, and what do you have with them?

plum x

Edit: ps are they instant or do they take some time to cook?

I have them half water half milk .. 40g oats so it's 150 skimmed milk abd 150 water
I cook them on the stove and it takes about 4 mins ... In a micro (at work) takes about 2 mins
On the box it says 100% wholegrain rolled oats ....

Have been doing a bit of research and maybe I should add almonds and fruit to it ...??

I always add nuts, seeds or ground flaxseed and also some fruit and it keeps me going til lunch. :) The bigger and less processed the grain (and the longer the suggested cooking time), the longer it will take to digest, I like the jumbo porridge oats the best. I'm not sure but I think the Quaker is more of a small/medium flake?

Plumfoodie said:
I always add nuts, seeds or ground flaxseed and also some fruit and it keeps me going til lunch. :) The bigger and less processed the grain (and the longer the suggested cooking time), the longer it will take to digest, I like the jumbo porridge oats the best. I'm not sure but I think the Quaker is more of a small/medium flake?

I have some ground flax seed .. I could add some of that ... Who makes jumbo oats ...??? I'm so used to buying Quaker .!! I'll gave to have a look in the super market x
But Thankyou for that x and thanks for replying x

:) according to their website Quaker do a jumbo oat, I usually buy supermarket brand. Just look out for the longest cooking time. :) Nuts or seeds will add fat and protein, both of which will help slow digestion. :)

Plumfoodie said:
:) according to their website Quaker do a jumbo oat, I usually buy supermarket brand. Just look out for the longest cooking time. :) Nuts or seeds will add fat and protein, both of which will help slow digestion. :)

Haha .. I'm on an early shift tomorrow .. No time for making a big brekkie have to Be in work at 7... So I'm going to shop abd get everything ready ...
You're an angel plum foodie ... Abd I live this site .. So many tips abd support xxx

Hope it helps, there's nothing worse than being starving mid-morning and having ages until lunch! :)

Missed the Sunday supermarket hours .... Damn ... But I have some oat bran abd that's meant to be good .. So I'll take that instead x

I am having the food doctor seeded porridge, has sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and a few others, no sugar added or any types of sugar in it, Also no fruit like rasins etc

I cook it with water and a dash milk, until fairly thick and then add bit more milk on top with a banana or some berries

The quaker porridge instant that my kids like has got a fair bit of sugar in it.. Could be that your hungry so soon after because your blood sugar is dropping/ crashing after having the sugary porridge

Maybe have a few almonds like 10-15 to snack on when you start to feel hungry again should then carry you to lunch :)

Tesco stocks food doctor porridge etc

Mis-behave said:
I am having the food doctor seeded porridge, has sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and a few others, no sugar added or any types of sugar in it, Also no fruit like rasins etc

I cook it with water and a dash milk, until fairly thick and then add bit more milk on top with a banana or some berries

The quaker porridge instant that my kids like has got a fair bit of sugar in it.. Could be that your hungry so soon after because your blood sugar is dropping/ crashing after having the sugary porridge

Maybe have a few almonds like 10-15 to snack on when you start to feel hungry again should then carry you to lunch :)

Hi mis-behave
The box's listed ingredients is just the rolled oats .. Nothing else added ....
I do like almonds and I have 20 grams when I work on a late shift .. We don't have breaks and I work 2-10 so it's important for me to have a a wee snack of almonds abd fruit mid shift ..!!!
Think I will start having them daily ..!!!
Thanks for the advice ... Better go sleep as up at 5.45 lol ..!!!!

Mis-behave said:

And I'll also look out for the food doctor seeded porridge .. Sounds lush x

I use the tinned slices peached in juice (I rinse the juice off and put them in my bowl and pour my cooked porridge oats (approx 40g uncooked weight) over the top and sprinkle a few flaked almonds on the top. Delicious. It never fails to cheer me up in the morning - even on a Monday!

Lucky7 said:
I use the tinned slices peached in juice (I rinse the juice off and put them in my bowl and pour my cooked porridge oats (approx 40g uncooked weight) over the top and sprinkle a few flaked almonds on the top. Delicious. It never fails to cheer me up in the morning - even on a Monday!

Coor... Sounds yummy :)))

Coor... Sounds yummy :)))

Forgot to say - I also put in a tablespoon of sweetener. I have a very sweet tooth!!

GI Database

Amazing to see the difference it makes when things get processed, or even milled. Glad I bought the jumbo oats now - got them from Asda.

Lucky7 said:
GI Database

Amazing to see the difference it makes when things get processed, or even milled. Glad I bought the jumbo oats now - got them from Asda.

Aha.... I bought jumbo oats from asda too .... Can't take them to work as take too long to cook lol x

Aha.... I bought jumbo oats from asda too .... Can't take them to work as take too long to cook lol x

Oh no!! I only do them for 4 mins in microwave and they're fine. Could you cook them first and take them in a tupperware pot just to warm through? I'm never 'right' til I've have my porridge! x

Lucky7 said:
Oh no!! I only do them for 4 mins in microwave and they're fine. Could you cook them first and take them in a tupperware pot just to warm through? I'm never 'right' til I've have my porridge! x

Yes I Spose I could actually ..!! I'd try then at home first tho lol

Back