Porridge?

Pollywotsit

Silver Member
Thought I'd start having a hot breakfast instead of fruit, and was looking at porridge. Instead of Scotts and Quaker there's umpteen different sorts now (haven't bought any since my children were little)..30 years! .so just wondered what's the lowest calorie or syn one out there, and how do you vary it?
I don't know if there's already a thread, I did a search and couldn't find one, so hopefully someone will answer. Thanks x

Thought I'd start having a hot breakfast instead of fruit, and was looking at porridge. Instead of Scotts and Quaker there's umpteen different sorts now (haven't bought any since my children were little)..30 years! .so just wondered what's the lowest calorie or syn one out there, and how do you vary it?
I don't know if there's already a thread, I did a search and couldn't find one, so hopefully someone will answer. Thanks x

35g porridge oats is a HEB

I soak mine in 2/3rds of a mug of water overnight, then add 1/2 mug of s s milk from my HEA in the morning and leave it simmering while I have my shower

I actually love it plain, so don't add anything else :)

I looked at some of the "instant" but think they are mostly syned. Thanks for this. x

I looked at some of the "instant" but think they are mostly syned. Thanks for this. x

Oh yes, some of the instant ones are horrendous for syns - especially when they're supposed to be healthy!

10.5 syns for a pot of Oats So Simple with Honey :eek:

5 for just a single sachet of plain

And sadly you can't use them as a HEB . . . which is why I stick to the raw porridge! :)

Only time I buy oats normally is when I make a "cake" for my bird table!! I shall be getting some this week, mornings are getting pretty chilly! Thanks girls x

I don't really eat porridge now I'm on SW (spend my HEXA and HEXB before I've even left the house? Nah...) but before I used to use spice blends to make them more interesting, so one day I'd have apple pie spice blend with it, another day just cinnamon or mixed spice, or pumpkin pie spice blend. Plus a bit of Splenda if it needed it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do you do it??
Hi, no probs. Peel the apple and banana and microwave for one minute to take the crunch off the apple, mash up a bit and add the 35g of oats. Add enough water just to wet the oats (saves using all milk) then add milk enough to cover and microwave for a further 2 mins, stirring half way. Sweetner to taste. :gimi: Gorgeous apple crumble.

Hi, no probs. Peel the apple and banana and microwave for one minute to take the crunch off the apple, mash up a bit and add the 35g of oats. Add enough water just to wet the oats (saves using all milk) then add milk enough to cover and microwave for a further 2 mins, stirring half way. Sweetner to taste. :gimi: Gorgeous apple crumble.

Thanks! Def going to give this a try :)

Hi PatchworkPuss, i understand about the cooked fruit rule, and if i were cooking a bag of apples and spooning it onto the porridge i would agree, but it is one small apple and one small banana which is warmed through rather eating raw. It's not hurt yet but should i start to struggle i will reassess. I don't drink smoothness, but it's the same for them, and if you know the quantity you are using and you would eat the same amount raw, it doesn't make sense. Thanks.

This morning I made my porridge with my hex a milk. I don't really like sweetener so I put one heaped teaspoon of cadburys highlights caramel in it tasted yum and it's only 2syns for three heaped teaspoons in a hot chocolate so will be really low syn :wow:Lindsay xx

I like to get my hex a and b out of the way so use whole milk with the porridge. Then I think of something indulgent to put on top - banana and nutella, maple syrup, jam... I'm a sugar addict and not afraid to admit it!

This morning I made my porridge with my hex a milk. I don't really like sweetener so I put one heaped teaspoon of cadburys highlights caramel in it tasted yum and it's only 2syns for three heaped teaspoons in a hot chocolate so will be really low syn :wow:Lindsay xx

Always make my porridge with water will try this for extra taste. Thanks

How many syns is there is 35g of porridge with SS milk rather than water, dont think i could eat it just with water? - id have to put sweetner and a banana on too - but not sure of the syn difference?

Back