porrige question

slushy

Silver Member
hi all

back for yet another new start at cd :sigh:

porrige is new since i last did cambridge - can you tell me if it has to be microwaved or if its possible to make it with just hot water and kettle?

thanks

I think Summerskye had a go at cooking it in a saucepan .. but don't think it was that successful. It needs to be cooked - so kettle on it's own would not work.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's microwave only. It does need cooking and cooking it over a direct heat (in a saucepan) destroys some of the vitamins and minerals :(

porridge mix in micowaveable bowl.
add 200ml boiling water from kettle
whisk or use hand blender
microwave for 50 secs
let stand for few secs

tried a few ways - but this is the one that makes the best, in my opinion

Why don't you try making it as directed at home and then taking it with you in one of those stainless steel thermal mugs to keep it warm - gotta be worth a try.

I love the porridge.

Why don't you try making it as directed at home and then taking it with you in one of those stainless steel thermal mugs to keep it warm - gotta be worth a try.

I love the porridge.

The 15 minute rule follows because it changes texture. I'm told that it will go hard. Guess you could always break off a bit for a snack though :D

Porridge poppadom - that's a new one for the recipe thread KD :9529: :D

LOL. Possibilities are endless
cooking.gif

Porridge shortbread
Porridge muffins
Soupy porridge (add 2 teaspoons of any flavour soup)
Porridge crisps
Porridge curry (add curry powder)
Porridge sandwich. M/wave, divide and spread out both parts on greaseproof paper until hard. Add a paste of chicken and mush soup on one half and top with the 2nd half

Yummy yum
yum.gif
:D

I may be missing my food but not that much...

Maybe not yet. You wait though. Soon there will be confessions of porridge sandwich binges, addictions to porridge curry, and people swearing they don't come out of ketosis if they add coke zero to their porridge.

You'll see ;) :D

I always have the porridge i love it i have bought 15 this week!. have tried both with just kettle and microwave and I have found both really nice

Slushy I add the hot water gradually until u get the thickness/sloppiness right (whatever floats ya boat) and stir really well. Give it a go u av nothin to lose (except 1 third of your daily intake) then again make sure you get it right the first time lol

Lol - I am now driven to go and try and make a porridge cake. I had been toying with the idea of trying to make a muffin with the porridge mix, but I'm thinking I might be able to achieve something like a sweet version of a tortilla wrap! Will let you know how I get on. =)

Hi,

I find if you add a little pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon to the porridge then it gives you a little bit of variety. Also if you leave it to stand for a few minutes after the microwave then it thicken lovely.

Back