Portion sizes - please advise!

Maximus

Gold Member
I know I've asked about spuds before. I just need to know about portion size/control.

I figure potatoes, be it roasted, mash, chipped, boiled, etc 225g-250g portion.

What about pasta? - dried pasta? what in grams is the "average" or "recommended" amount.

Rice too - from prev experience, everyone always makes far too much. Again, any guidelines?

The book and my consultant advise controlling your own prtion size, but I feel like i need some sort of guidelines to discipline my intake.

Please comment on what works for you!

Steve

I can understand wanting to keep a eye on your portions, but you also need to remember that one of the benefits of slimming world, is that you dont have to weigh out portions etc.

I think as long as you are using a standard size plate and sticking to your 1/3 superfree, then the other foods. i.e carbs and proteins will automatically be portion controlled.

It is far better if you don't worry too much about how much your pasta, potato etc portion should weigh and instead just fill yourself up on the free foods so that you don't have any temptation to snack on the none free stuff, if that makes sense.

If you do find you cook too much pasta or rice or whatever, then save it and use for lunch the next day, as a savoury rice dish or pasta salad etc, it will save a lot of time cooking too.

As I have no natural cut off point when it comes to portion sizes i.e. if it's cooked I'll it it all no ,matter how big the portion or how full I already am - When I'd lost a few stone I realised that I was still greedy so decided to try to have 'normal' portions.

I go by what's quoted as a portion on the packet so for pasta it's 75g dry pasta etc
With potatoes I go by the red day Heb amount so 198g new potatoes, 225g jacket potato.

i normally go with packet sizes on pasta and rice and have around 80g dried weight of each. i also fill up on free foods as i could easily eat loads of rice and pasta.

I think that even though they say it's unlimited with SW i still think that you need to be aware of portion sizes.
I find that if i am eating something that i find delicious, i will keep going no matter if i am full. thus ending up with a sore tummy from over indulging.

I've never been a fan of exercising portion control as this is a big part of SW, however, recently I've been quite conscious of the amount of pasta, rice, potatoes etc I've had.
From watching TV cookery shows the amount of pasta or potatoes they serve their food with is miniscule compared to what I have so I've been trying to cut down a little.
Last night I did potato wedges and instead of a huge potato's worth I did small potatoes. It made quite a difference to my feeling of fullness but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

If I'm trying to keep an eye on my carb-intake on G/EE, I do the same as Eternity and measure my portions, as if I were doing a Red day. I would have 100g rice/pasta/noodles or 198g new pots, 227g jacket potato. That way I fill my plate more with the superfree stuff.

I never measure.. I do 99% green days.
Whhen my losses start to slow down then I will start to measure but at the moment I love my big portions!

I never measure portions either. I do 100% green. I have just learnt how much to tip in for all 3 of us to give us an amount that just fills us up nicely.

All interesting stuff. I've "plumped" (pun intended) for 225-250g max potato and 75-100g max for dry pasta or rice.

I try all three plans at least twice per week and I just like to make sure I'm not over-indulging and getting the planning right. I need to have some sort of structure, and even if it means being a little obsessive, then so be it.

I'm never hungry, and never had such a varied diet. It's all good as they say:)

By the way, I don't always get to practice the 1/3 superfree every meal but endeavour to do it at least once per day. with plenty of fruit in work lunches etc.

I never measure, I always do tonnes of rice and pasta. I eat til I'm full and if I'm not actively hungry I'll stop and wait, if I get hungry again, more I eat! I don't wanna get in the habit of weighing stuff, because I don't believe that's what "normal" people do and in 10.5;bs I'll be trying to be as close to "normal" as I can...

So I don't do portion control. I eat til I'm fullish and then eat again later if I need to! :)

I hardly ever stray from red days and keep carbs to a minimum - I did atkins diet for a while a few years ago and the weight dropped off me - (regained it) but regained after SW and WW too - I really have to watch carb intake so green is no good for me at all.

Have also slowed now to a virtual stop - think I might have to mix up the mix a bit and try a couple of green days and then red days to see if it shocks my system again into losing weight again.

Oh and I too am a greedy guts and need to desperately look at my portion control - when Ihave bacon (which is often) all lean but I have LOADS !

Back