Possible Newbie-advice please!

shinymoon

Hi Everyone!

Like a lot of people i would like to start the new year a fresh and finally tackle my weight demons once and for all,I would like to try Slimming World as it seems to suit me the most.I cannot attend the classes,but I was thinking of joining bodyoptimise,but I don't really want to fork out all that money each month at the moment!I have the book for SW as i joined briefly late last year(stopped due to work commitments)....What I wanted to say is that do you think its possible to follow the diet with no'official support'?

Thanks in advance :D

Hi Everyone!

Like a lot of people i would like to start the new year a fresh and finally tackle my weight demons once and for all,I would like to try Slimming World as it seems to suit me the most.I cannot attend the classes,but I was thinking of joining bodyoptimise,but I don't really want to fork out all that money each month at the moment!I have the book for SW as i joined briefly late last year(stopped due to work commitments)....What I wanted to say is that do you think its possible to follow the diet with no'official support'?

Thanks in advance :D

I don't do it this way myself (I go to groups) but many on here 'go it alone' and manage (in fact many of them put me to shame lol).

If you use this forum for support/advice etc along with the books you'll be ok. Just make sure you set a WI day and time and stick to it (body weight fluctuates a lot in a few hours). If you don't have scales, maybe invest in some WW ones (they're great) or go to a Boots and use theirs.

My advice would be:

-read the books thoroughly
-understand Healthy Extras
-try to get a syn directory online somewhere (ebay etc?) as lifeline to have one handy
- plan ahead
- keep a food diary
- use your syns!!!
- drink water and lots of it
- don't assume things are free - check them! Including veg and fruits
- make a list of 'often eats' as I call them and keep in kitchen - i.e. the stuff you use or eat a lot that is SW friendly
- make shopping lists and don't shop without a plan/or when hungry ;)

Hope you join us - it's changed my life xxx

I do SW from home, I have the old books from 2005 so use these carefully as things have changed since then! There's a lot of information on here and people are always willing to advise and clarify things like syn values. Also parts of the SW website can be accessed without a password such as some of the recipes and 1 week menu plans which I find useful sometimes. For support I have my lovely OH and all the wonderful people on here!

I do SW from home and I bought my books from Ebay last year (and paid a lot of money too) but this forum is fantastic, everyone is willing to help and advise, so stick with us, and good luck with your weight loss.

WOW-tahnks so much to you all for your advice,its great that I will be able to get extra info and help-thanks again!

Like others have said, it's possible.......but I think many people find it harder to go it alone.

You will always get lots of positive responses to this question on here, because you are basically asking all of the people who have made successes of going it alone (because they still come on minimins!)......unfortunately I have seen a lot of people on here decide to stop classes who last a few weeks and are never heard of again!

I know you said you don't want to spend the money but why not see it as an investment in yourself that you deserve and incentive to stick to plan?

I am an online member and although I have paid a couple of hundred pounds over the last 20 months, it was money well spent - I would have paid that and lots more when I started to be 6 stone lighter.

Having said all that, if you feel you have the confidence, knowledge, will and absolute determination required to go it alone, fantastic.

Good luck with whatever you decide

xxxx

I agree with you.. forking out the money! I can't really afford it either so me and mum do it from home.. This site is a godsend and better than any group in my opinion! Me and mum went to a class last year and my mum said there were people that had been there for 10 years (she used to live on SW.. Got to target then went every week) So i dont think it s fair to say everyone does better at classes.. Mum did it twice from having babies, at home and succeded just the same :D:D

When i said been there ten years.. i mean same weight if not more lol!

Back