possible newbie for Howards way

bwfc69

Hi,

I am new to this so please be patient. I am interested in doing the Howards way diet, any info would be good please also is it the same as lighter life?

Hi newbie and welcome to the Howard's Way thread, lots of friendly people on here who have done or are doing HW at the mo.

Howard's Way have a very good website, so take a look at that, has lots of info on there to point you in the right direction.

Don't know too much about LL apart from what I have heard from those who have been to them previously and now attend Howard's Way instead. Know they are a bit dearer than HW (that's what I've been told anyway) but don't know a lot else about them, HW do a postal diet which LL don't, as far as I know. Also those in my group said HW's support was the best they had ever had on a diet (that has certainly always been my experience) but sure lots of others would say that about their own diets, too, it's down to personal choice at the end of the day.

Anyway, good luck to you and keep in touch.

All the best, Karen.

Hi Karen,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I had a look at the Howard's Way website as you suggested, felt quite inspired.

I also made some enquiries with regard to Lighter Life but I had to e-mail the counsellor 3 times before she would even discuss how much it was per week (£76), which does work out more expensive than Howard's Way.

I have read the Howard's Way threads and I was impressed how supportive you were of one another and how positive everyone is with this diet. I have tried and failed so may diets before, so I was pleased to hear of the many successes.

Decided that I will have a go at Howard's Way (want to loose 3 stone, more would be nice but 3 is my target).

Hope to start next week - cant wait!!

Claire

Taken the plunge !!!!!

Hi,
Just for info, I have just paid the deposit and waiting for a phone call now with the info I need to get started on Howard's Way.

Hopefully will start July 1st. For once I will be looking forward to getting on the scales.

Claire

Welcome Claire and well done for taking the plunge! I did HW a few years back and am now back to finish off what I started but following a very similar VLCD this time but much the same. I still hang around here with the lovely gals on here tho too.

Not long til 1st July. If you can try and increase your water intake before your start so you get used to drinking more water and start to cut back on any carbonated drinks you have. Other than that- enjoy your time before it starts and wishing you well. Keep us posted on how you get on xx

Hi again Claire, so glad to have been able to help and really good luck with starting your diet. I'm sure the lovely ladies in the office there will be in touch with you next week (as well as my Locum, they were also a great help when I started and are always there to chat to if I need anything my Locum can't help with).

And I'll be here too, to give you any support I can along the way.

Best wishes, Karen.

Hello everyone!
Welcome to you Claire.
If you are anything like I was, you are excited, nervous and just want to start yesterday.
This is a great site and just what you need. Everyone really helped me and made me that bit stronger.
I am still on the programme, I do it by post and to say my locum is my Angel sent from above (I know it sounds sad), that is exactly what she is to me and absolute angel. She gives me all the support, advise and help I need. She is very firm, but very good. She seems to know exactly what to say. Nothing is too much trouble, she encourages me, she congratulates me and makes me feel really special.
Anyway,you will find out soon, what a fantastic diet it really is. I have had stresses from work and lots of other things and I haven't cheated at all! I think it is because you are not allowed to and that keeps you focused, well it does with me, because I am usually the worst dieter in the whole wide world!
Anyway I won't bore you any more, but good luck and keep posting to let us know when you start and how you are doing.

Lady gaga and Karen, good to see you are still here. I haven't posted in a while as just been too busy and when I do get some time, I just want to relax. How have you both been getting on?
I must try and catch up with Holly. Anyone know exactly which thread she is on?

Well signing off now and going to see if I can see her.

Take care everyone,
Love Abbie.XX

Hi,

Thanks everyone for posting back, I honestly thought no - one would. I really do appreciate all your comments.

Abbie - your right I do feel excited but a bit apprehensive too!

Karen - thanks for your on going support.

Lady GaGa - thanks for your suggestion with regard to my water in take. I use to love diet coke not much of a water drinker but have now substituted it for water. Having a gin and tonic at the moment as i haven't long to go !!!

I am so glad I have this site tonight feel a bit mad/down need to vent off - hope you dont mind.

I have struggled with my weight for the last few years, had a really bad pregnancy a few years ago and never really recovered. I have tried all the other more popular diets (slimming world, weight watchers, ali, slim fast) but none have worked for me, lost a bit then ended up putting more back on. i pretend to be happy and my weight doesn't bother me but it does.

So I thought (stupidly it seems) that my friends/family would be supportive ha!

My husband loves me the way I am (bless him), mother thinks i'm going to die without food, my friends (who weigh less than me) think I'm mad. Just wanted one to be on my side - not a lot to ask is it?

Anyway I am quite stubborn so it's made me more determined than ever to suceed. I know I haven't known you long, but without reading your other threads I might have given up.

Thanks (sorry for the rant)

Claire xxx :mad:

Are you all set to start then Claire? Wishing you the best of luck with your howards way journey and remember to keep us posted xxx

Hi Claire,
How is it going?
I had a quick read, but I wasn't sure that was the time to write, so gave it a while for you to get going.
Don't be mad with your friends, they mean well but just don't understand.
Anyway, let us know how you are getting on.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Love Abbie.XXX

Hi
Am about to start my journey on Howard's way without attending group meeting, could anyone please advice me on the best approach to this diet.

Thanks

Hi there Fiona and welcome on board. I did HW via post a few years ago and am now following another VLCD but still hang around in here too. I think Abbie is doing it by post too and you can see her amazing results and Karen and Holly are inspirational maintainers.

My advice would be to keep yourself busy and focused on your goals. You need to drink plenty of water so if you can get used to that before you start then that is great. Also if you can start curbing down your carbs before you start as that I find helps too. How much you hoping to lose and when do you start? Hope all goes well xxxx

You'll soon shed that chick. A stone a month if you stick to it so by Christmas it will be the new you! Good luck x

Hi Fiona and welcome to the HW forum!

My advice would be to listen to your Locum and follow what she suggests, she is there to help you while you are dieting.

As Lady G says, Abbie is doing by post so sure she can help you more with the specifics of doing that way but would agree that water is the key, your Locum will tell you how much to start on depending on how much you drank pre diet (starting on 4 litres a day isn't for everyone if they weren't good with their water to start with)!

Anyway, good luck and you will find that if you follow the diet to the letter, the weight comes tumbling off (did with me, anyway!:)) and you'll get those good habits which will hopefully stay with you after you finish.

All the best,
Karen. xx

Karen67 said:
Hi Fiona and welcome to the HW forum!

My advice would be to listen to your Locum and follow what she suggests, she is there to help you while you are dieting.

As Lady G says, Abbie is doing by post so sure she can help you more with the specifics of doing that way but would agree that water is the key, your Locum will tell you how much to start on depending on how much you drank pre diet (starting on 4 litres a day isn't for everyone if they weren't good with their water to start with)!

Anyway, good luck and you will find that if you follow the diet to the letter, the weight comes tumbling off (did with me, anyway!:)) and you'll get those good habits which will hopefully stay with you after you finish.

All the best,
Karen. xx

Thanks so much for your advice will keep up all posted with my progress

How have a never heard of howard's way (other than then film!)... I thought i'd done every diet! I'm really excited about this now - people seem to have had real success on this diet. Although it might be quite hard to do before xmas - maybe i should wait until after?! Hmm - or is that just me putting it off as usual.

How have a never heard of howard's way (other than then film!)... I thought i'd done every diet! I'm really excited about this now - people seem to have had real success on this diet. Although it might be quite hard to do before xmas - maybe i should wait until after?! Hmm - or is that just me putting it off as usual.

Hi Bella and really sorry not replied sooner, Christmas and New year issues so taken my eye off the dieting ball for a while! Back to lose the pounds I've put on (glad it's pounds and not stones anyway, so can just do a couple of TFR's and a meal for a few weeks to put right).

Think Howard's Way not as big a company as some of the others out there, that might be why you've not heard of? Been around for a while though, when I joined was told they started in 1998, I think.

All I know is they give you really great support while you're dieting and you can either go to groups (aren't many of them and they're quite localised in the south east of England, I think) or do by post, which they seem to feature quite prominently on their website.

Anyway, hope that helps and if you're still looking to diet now it's January;), give them a try! All the best, Karen.

Back