potatoes

jaxmummy

Silver Member
dont know if this is in the right place but apart from sw chips/wedges and mash/jackets is there anything else u do with potatoes

Dry roast? - leave skins on so it counts as B, chop some new potatoes up, bit of fry lite and in the oven.

Spicy potatoes (great with curry and chilli) again leave skin on, chop in small pieces, fry lite then sprinkle some curry or chilli powder on then in the oven.

Cut a potato into bite sized cubes, and still leave the skin on. Then spray a baking tray with frylight. Put the potatoes in the tray and then add about 5 whole cloves of garlic, leave the skin on too. Then spray with frylight. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees until the potatoes are cooked.

Discard the garlic and serve the potatoes with anything you like. They are lovely. You can also sprinkle them with herbs or seasoning etc.

Last night I made some smash, added chopped spring oinions and made patties and fried them in Fry Light!!

They were lovely with a fried egg and some beans!

if i am roasting pork or something put potatoes around it without fry light (pork has no fat on it) but soakes up the sage and the juices lovelry

thanx guys my mouth is watering. I love sw chips but i dont want to get fed up of them

I use potatoes to make a very filling vegetarian curry, just with onions and some frozen peas added, lots of curry powder and a little water to cook it all. Yummy.

I do homemade potato salad with small potatoes like Charlottes, just steam them for 10 minutes in microwave, run under cold water to cool them down a bit, smother them in low fat creme fraiche and add chopped spring onions and chives. Very filling and scrumptious.

You can also make a rather delicious sort of potato pie by slicing them thinly, layering in a dish with onions and some healthy extra cheese, then pouring over a mixture of half quark and half natural yogurt. Cook at a moderate heat in the oven until cooked through and crispy on top. Lovely!

Oh, I forgot about my chunky potato and vegetable soup! Cut the potatoes into quite large chunks, place in a pot with a large chopped onion, 2 chopped carrots, and a diced yellow pepper. Cover with cold water and simmer, add two Knorr stock cubes when water is hot, and cook until the liquid is just at the same level as veg. Then turn the heat right down, add 250ml semi-skimmed milk (healthy extra A, I believe), heat gently until it's all thickened up and grate through a healthy extra portion of mature cheddar cheese. Oh my god. You'll eat the whole pan yourself! :D

This weekend, I mixed some smash with some left over free veg and made veggie croquettes, just add some seasoning, shape and put in a really hot oven sprayed with some frylight.....delicious!

I like my cajun roast potatoes. Make up a spice blend (I mix it and then keep it in a little jar in the cupboard) using:

1-3/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Parboil some quartered new potatoes with skins on for about 5 mins. Drain and put back in the pan. Sprinkle over some of the cajun seasoning and mix well so all the potatoes are covered. Spray a baking sheet with Butter Frylight and spread the potates on it. Spray potatoes with the Butter Frylight. Pop under a hot grill or hot oven for about 10-15 mins until golden and crispy! Very nice with eggs and beans!

SAUTE POTATOES
I take a few small spuds from the bag (the ones that are too small to make into chips, or jacket potatoes) and stick them in the microwave for 4-5 minutes til cooked (but not shrivelled). Let them cool a little bit then cut them into slices (leave the skins on), spray with fry light and sprinkle with garlic powder, maybe a bit of thyme, and salt/pepper. Then "saute" them with fry light in a non-stick pan. They're a lovely addition to a cooked breakfast or other meal.

Back