pregnant and have a question

mummytummy

Silver Member

hello all slimming worlders!

I'm coming over from the pregnancy part of minimins and have a question. I know that it is ok to follow slimming world whist pregnant and i have the books at from from a yr ago when i did it.
but if you follow when pregnant do you need extra a's, b's or syns?

I'm almost 5 months and just want to maintain and get a hold on what im eating because im starting to eat rubbish! And tbh i could have done with losing a pound or two before i fell pregnant.

Any advice will be much appreciated.:)
thanks.

Hi and welcome to SW - love your screen name!
SW is perfect for following during pregnancy and is actually the only weight loss programme approved by the College of Midwives.

Here's what it says on the SW website

I'm pregnant, can I still come to my group?
A: Yes, with the support of your midwife. Slimming World's Food Optimising system provides a healthy, well-balanced diet and an ideal way to prevent excess weight gain when pregnant. We have developed a policy with the support of the Royal College of Midwives in which we ask you to get your midwife's consent to continue attending your group. Your Consultant will give you a Weight Management form for your midwife to sign and you must bring this with you to your group and get it signed at each check-up throughout your pregnancy. This will ensure your Consultant can support you in managing your weight in the way that is totally safe for you and your baby

To answer your other question you don't get any extras during pregnancy only after the birth when you are breastfeeding. There's no need for them because the plan is nutritionally sound.

Good luck!

Just want to add, you only need an extra 200 calories (ish - I think, my memory isn't that great in the mornings!) during the last trimester - which you can get from the free foods :)

Just thought I'd add that I was a bit stressed about actually loosing weight whilst pregnant because everywhere you look always says don't diet while pregnant.. However, after talking to my midwife about if and her telling me a story about someone else eating a load of pies (literally lol) and putting on a load of weight that she would be unhealthy. She said as long as you're eating everything you and you're baby needs, protein, carbs, fruit, vege, calcium rich things etc that as long as you aren't depriving yourself you'll only be loosing weight that you don't need.
Don't know if that's of any use to you but I know it made me feel alot happier and alot less obsessed with oh no i've put on weight.. and oh no.. i've lost weight LOL.
However, I doubt the loosing weight thing applies to ppl who aren't overweight?!!?

Thank you, I now it can become a part of everything you do!

it's good to know tho that I will be losing fat off me! The thing with SW is you always have something to eat!!! that makes me HAP HAP HAPPY! haha

Oh, found this on the SW website... don't know if it'll copy right or not:
Did you know that as an expectant mum you can still come along to group and continue Food Optimising? Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet is an ideal way to prevent excess weight gain and help towards a healthy pregnancy. If you’re expecting a little bundle of joy, or thinking of becoming a mum, read on…
corner-yellow-tl.jpg

quote-marks-start.gif
I’m about to qualify as a midwife and I frequently see women with a BMI of over 30, suffering from serious health problems in pregnancy due to their weight. These problems range from gestational diabetes and high blood pressure to caesarean sections because babies have grown too large to be born naturally.

“It’s so refreshing to find a 'diet' that is so healthy and well-balanced that I can recommend it to pregnant women. I will certainly be endorsing it and hopefully will see these women benefit from much fewer health problems.
quote-marks-end.gif
Michelle Southam
corner-yellow-bl.jpg

healthy and safe for you and baby

We know that weight concerns don’t just disappear when a mum-to-be discovers the happy news. The thought of ‘normal’ weight gain during pregnancy can be quite harrowing, especially for someone wanting to lose weight.
Food Optimising is a healthy, nutritious eating plan, encouraging you to eat as much food as you like, rather than operating as a restrictive diet. Slimming World members can continue to Food Optimise to obtain a healthy, well-balanced diet throughout their pregnancy.*
corner-yellow-tl.jpg

New mum Claire Mascall from Lancashire lost an amazing 9st 1½lbs with Slimming World.

pregnancy-claire.jpg
quote-marks-start.gif
After I began to lose weight I was overjoyed to find that I was pregnant. I continued going to group with the consent of my midwife and it led to me having a very healthy pregnancy. The only weight I gained was baby weight and after I gave birth to Casey I was able to recover from my caesarean quickly because my body is so healthy. My midwife was so impressed that she's suggested Slimming World to several mums-to-be!
quote-marks-end.gif

corner-yellow-bl.jpg

Food Optimising recipes are based around filling and delicious Free Foods, that are ideal for enjoying a healthy balanced diet during your pregnancy. Choosing a wide variety of foods such as calcium-rich milk and cheese, whole grains, as well as plenty of fruit and vegetables will help towards a really balanced diet.
Although the general rule is to enjoy Food Optimising as normal, there are a few exceptions:
Folic Acid
Take folic acid supplements as well as increasing dietary intake, when planning and during pregnancy to reduce the risk of neural tube defects.
Liver & Vitamin AAvoid liver, liver products and supplements containing high levels of vitamin A, which can be toxic to the developing foetus.
AlcoholAvoid drinking alcohol. If you do choose to drink, to protect your baby you should not drink more than 1 or 2 units of alcohol once or twice a week and avoid heavy drinking sessions.
*1 unit of alcohol = ½ pint of lager or beer, 25ml of spirits or 100ml wine.
PeanutsConsider avoiding peanuts and peanut products if there is an immediate family history of nut or other allergies (such as asthma, eczema, hayfever or reactions to specific foods) to reduce the risk of the baby developing peanut allergy.
FishLimit the amount of oily fish you eat to no more than 2 portions per week, to prevent the build up of pollutants which can affect the development of an unborn baby. Avoid swordfish, shark and marlin and limit the amount of tuna you eat to no more than two tuna steaks (1 portion = 140g cooked) or 4 medium sized cans a week. This is to
prevent you having high levels of mercury, which can harm the baby’s developing nervous system.
CaffeineLimit your caffeine intake to no more than 300mg a day, because high levels can lead to low birth weight, or even miscarriage.
• 1 mug of coffee = 100mg
• 1 cup of tea = 50mg
• 1 can of cola = up to 40mg
Other risksAvoid soft ripened and blue veined cheeses, pâté (including vegetable), unpasteurised milk and its products, raw or partially cooked eggs and foods containing them, in order to reduce the risk of food-borne infections. Also ensure that cooked-chilled foods are thoroughly reheated, meat, poultry and shellfish are thoroughly cooked and food is eaten within its use by date.
Your midwife or doctor will be able to discuss the latest dietary recommendations regarding pregnancy and breast-feeding with you.

Baby Body Magic

pregnancy-aqua2.jpg
Pregnancy doesn’t have to mean inactivity and for most pregnant women, regular activity will be highly beneficial. Being fit is an advantage both in the pregnancy and recovery period.

Vigorous exercise, however, should be avoided. Gentle activity that doesn’t leave you short of breath, overheated or overly tired is generally recommended.
Walking is a great way to keep active during pregnancy and the support of the water makes swimming a good option too.
It’s important to consult your GP or midwife before starting any exercise, particularly if you haven’t been active prior to your pregnancy. Your GP or midwife should be able to advise on suitable activity or even recommend local classes such as ‘aqua-natal’ for mums-to-be. The benefits can include:
  • More chance of a healthy level of weight gain during pregnancy
  • More rapid weight loss after pregnancy
  • Improved mood and sleep patterns, leading to less tension during pregnancy
  • Shorter delivery time, and fewer complications during labour
Breastfeeding your baby

When breastfeeding, your body requires extra energy and calcium so we recommend you enjoy additional Healthy Extras on top of your usual 2a and 2b choices. We also recommend that you enjoy the full 15 Syns a day.
Baby’s age
No. of extra
Healthy Extras​
Up to 2 months
2 to 3 months
4 to 6 months
if starting to wean​
4 to 6 months
if breast milk is the only source of nutrient for your baby​
Over 6 months when weaning​
We recommend that one, or preferably two, of your additional Healthy Extra choices are made from the milk and cheese section.
The recommended daily intake of calcium for breastfeeding mums increases from 700mg to 1,250mg per day. The following table lists good dietary sources of calcium, providing you with plenty of healthy ways in which to increase your calcium intake:
Calcium rich food
Milk and cheese selections in the Healthy Extras section of your Food Optimising book all contain high levels of calcium. The exact amounts are as follows:
There are also a number of Free Foods that contain calcium, these include:
350ml skimmed milk
420mg
100g very low fat natural/flavoured yogurt
160mg
250ml semi-skimmed milk
300mg
100g very low fat natural/ flavoured fromage frais
130mg
175ml whole milk
200mg
100g quark
120mg
200ml whole goat’s milk
240mg
100g very low fat cottage cheese
120mg
250ml sweetened calcium enriched soya milk
315mg
100g Tofu (plain or naturally smoked)
510mg
350ml unsweetened calcium enriched soya milk
420mg
100g sardines, canned in tomato sauce
430mg
28g Cheddar
200mg
100g pilchards, canned in tomato sauce
250mg
28g Edam
220mg
100g spinach
170mg
28g Emmental
270mg
100g curly kale
130mg
28g Gouda
210mg
100g okra
160mg
28g Gruyere
270mg
100g amaranth leaves
270mg
28g Parmesan
290mg

42g Mozzarella
150mg

42g reduced fat Cheddar
350mg

42g reduced fat Cheshire
270mg

Please note – whilst you are breastfeeding and require extra Healthy Extras you will be able to add additional ‘a’ and ‘b’ choices to the online food diary. Let us know that you are breastfeeding by checking the box on your update details page. Don’t forget to uncheck the box when you’re no longer breastfeeding and are back to the regular amount of Healthy Extras.
Your Consultant will be more than happy to help and advise you throughout your pregnancy. You’ll also receive a handy pregnancy booklet from group, as another useful reference.
We wish you a very happy and healthy pregnancy.
*Because weight loss during pregnancy needs careful monitoring, we require you to obtain the consent of your midwife to continue attending group.

How are you doing with SW assuming you've started?
I did it before I got pregnant but I'm still struggling with the idea of 'dieting' during pregnancy even though it's not really and the midwife said it's fine. Lol, that and whenever I fancy any goodies I havn't really been taking it seriously!! Decided to start again properly today...

I started last monday and When I weighed this monday I had lost 6.5lbs so i am extremely happy!
I have only gained 6.5lbs since i found out i was pregnant and I do feel very happy with myself because I just can not afford to gain three or so stone this time! I'm hoping to lose more but i will be happy for the weeks to go by and sts!
I have been doing the plan exactly and I have actually been really enjoying it and more than anything I feel at least i'm doing something about my weight even during pregnancy!

WOW!!!! 6.5lbs and 20 weeks pregnant... that is amazing!!
I need to try and look to you for inspiration!
Congratulations :0)

Hi jooloo,

god i'm the last person you should look to for inspiration!
It's comes down this time for me, that I want a vbac, and the less weight i put on hopefully the more energy i'll have for the big day! and the lower the risk for a c-section although thats not the reason i had a c-section with my daughter.

How's it going for you?

Back