Prescribed orlistat scared to take it now

Dalaney

Hi everyone. I was prescribed with orlistat on friday but I have not yet taken it I am so nervous of the side effects eg oily stool disharge etc I also have a friend who took it years ago and keeps telling me horror stories about how you have no control over what comes out of you !!! I work in a huge office and I am terrified I will have an accident of the worst kind. I also attend a fair few meetings and I am worried I will be in and out all the time. I dont seem to have got a lto of information with the tablets just a normal sheet no diet ideas etc checking online some people say 15gramms of fat some say 5gramms per 100gramms and my friend assures me it is 0.5 gramms per 100gramms!! I am so confused I really was excited about my doctor giving me these tablets like a lot of people I am desperate to lose the weight I have started a low fat diet ths week and plan to start them next friday night so I have the weekend for any side effects Any advice please about diet, side effects anything would be so very much appreciated

What a lovely friend you have :rolleyes:

If she had such awful side effects then clearly she didnt follow the instructions and eat sensibly. If you read around the forum very few people have had really bad side effects and I dont remember hearing of anyone having an accident.

For many people who take Xenical there are no side effects what so ever. If youre on a low far diet you might not actually see any effects, or indeed benefits of Xenical. Its not a fast fix, its a great deterrent to keep you on track though ;)

Ignore your friend - sounds like shes just a scaremongerer!

Hi Delaney,

Sorry I don't know too much about Orilstat but I am sure others will be along shortly who can help answer some of your questions.

I just wanted to welcome you to MiniMins and I hope you will make yourself at home and if you need any help please ask.

Love Mini xxx

Please don't worry. You would only be like that if you had loads of fat. I know from experience. Worth giving it a try.

Irene xx

Hi everyone. I was prescribed with orlistat on friday but I have not yet taken it I am so nervous of the side effects eg oily stool disharge etc I also have a friend who took it years ago and keeps telling me horror stories about how you have no control over what comes out of you !!! I work in a huge office and I am terrified I will have an accident of the worst kind. I also attend a fair few meetings and I am worried I will be in and out all the time. I dont seem to have got a lto of information with the tablets just a normal sheet no diet ideas etc checking online some people say 15gramms of fat some say 5gramms per 100gramms and my friend assures me it is 0.5 gramms per 100gramms!! I am so confused I really was excited about my doctor giving me these tablets like a lot of people I am desperate to lose the weight I have started a low fat diet ths week and plan to start them next friday night so I have the weekend for any side effects Any advice please about diet, side effects anything would be so very much appreciated

Hi i was given Xenical 3 weeks ago by the gp, what ur friend is saying is pure rubbish, it is def 5grms of fat per 100 grms of food and u should not have more than 15 grms of fat per meal but i always stuck to bout 7/8 grms of fat per meal.
I also stuck to a low cal low fat diet not sure if it has helped me as i was losing good b4 i started the tabs, but i never had more than 18/20 grms of fat per day split over 3 meals.
With that level of fat you should not have any bad side effects.
I did have some side effects, wind, constipation in the first 3/4 days then it cleared up and although i always i stuck to the rules 100% i did notice some of the notorious orange oil but only a little bit and also not uncontrollable and it never gave me a bad belly/the runs.

If you decide to give it a go just stick to the rules and if u look through the Xenical forum here on MM u will see some ideas to help you food wise till you get to grips with the tabs.
There are some peeps on here who are doing wonderful with the tabs and they are def boosting their weight losses.
Good luck and take care xxx

Hi Dalaney

I was prescribed Xenical nearly 4 weeks ago. I was SOOO gutted when the doctor wouldn't prescribe me Reductil (which is what I asked for) and persuaded me to try Xenical. Why was I gutted - because of other people telling me about the side effects of it.

I am so glad that I started taking Xenical - and I really, really mean it. I was terrified about all these side effects for the first week or so but I haven't had one single side effect because I eat a very low fat diet now.

The sticky at the top of the page that Pinkii has written is amazing - it basically lets you know what to do. You need to check both per 100g of fat AND per meal - so no more than 5g of fat per 100g and no more than 15g per meal. Everyone needs a bit of fat in there meal to be healthy however stick to as low fat as you can and YOU WON'T get side effects.

I work in a massive office and I too have lots of meetings to go to, but because I stick to low fat, I haven't had any disruption to my working day.

Keep to a low fat diet, exercise as much as you can and enjoy it - you are on your way to a new you!

If you need any more help and advice, holler out.

Oh, and I don't know your friend but she doesn't sound like she is being very supportive. Try and not listen to any negativity - since I have started to loose weight, I have found that sometimes, people find it far easier to say something to hinder your weight loss than to be positive and encourage you... this board however is really great at keeping you motivated and encouraging you on your way!

Goodluck! xxx

Thank you all I feel so much better now I will continue with my low fat diet and start taking the tablets as planned. This is a really great forum I am sure I will be on here looking for support and ideas all the time. what a great find. I am going to africa next year which is a dream come true for me and I hope to be a decent size by then so not trying to rush things but I do ave about 8 stone to lose so its the start of a long journey but so good to know tehre are otehrs out there on the same trip. x x x

Thank you all I feel so much better now I will continue with my low fat diet and start taking the tablets as planned. This is a really great forum I am sure I will be on here looking for support and ideas all the time. what a great find. I am going to africa next year which is a dream come true for me and I hope to be a decent size by then so not trying to rush things but I do ave about 8 stone to lose so its the start of a long journey but so good to know tehre are otehrs out there on the same trip. x x x

Hi Dalaney just wanted to say to ya that i 2 have a very long journey ahead of me.
6 weeks ago i had 17 stone to loose :eek: now i have lost 2 stone in 6 weeks :D:D:D
Maybe set urself lots of small goals and tick them off along the way once u reach them that way it does not seem so daunting and it makes u feel really good when u see each mini goal you have acheived.
If you look at my signature at the bottom of my post u can see all the mini goals i have set up. Also here is a link to a guided tour of the site.

http://www.minimins.com/forum-technical-support/23916-minis-guided-tour-minimins-website.html

Take care and i look forward to reading bout ur weight loss journey, luv Roch xxx

Thank you Roch I feel so much better having found this site. Support is so important when trying to lose weight and thank you for that link I am going to explore and add a bit to my profile now x

Good good there is so much info on here its fab and we r all here to help each other through the good times and the hard ones.
Take care and have a good weekend xxx

YAAAAYYY! Welcome aboard the Xenical journey! Glad to have you on board. I have a long journey ahead of me too... When I started taking Xenical I had 10 stone to loose, 3 weeks later (next WI tomorrow) and I have 9 stone to loose!

Xenical is a good aid to keep you on the straight and narrow.

I look forward to hearing about how you are getting on! x

Thank you Roch I feel so much better having found this site. Support is so important when trying to lose weight and thank you for that link I am going to explore and add a bit to my profile now x

hello glad your giving it a go i have been on it for 2 weeks and i have had no problems, stick to low fat and you'll be fine.:D

been on just over 3 wks now and i have lost 6.6lbs...ive not had any side effects but the thought of it keeps you on the straight and narrow lol

welcome to minimins!

I have been on Xenical since Saturday and had no side effects so far.
I was just wondering how much weight is possible to lose on these tablets and how quickly do you notice?

Thanks x

Back