Problem with LL :(

RainbowCookie

Well after a lot of research over the last few days I had got my heart set on doing LL. I rang my local LLC again tonight and asked a few more questions but ive hit a big problem.

My husband works shifts so would only be only able to give me a lift to meetings (20miles away) when not at work. He works 7am-4pm one week, 4pm-12am the next. We also have a 18month old that someone has to be at home with.

The LL meetings are apparently one evening per week (undecided which one as yet) at 7 for 2 hours.

I asked about the issue of not being able to attend 1 out of every 2 evenings and asked if there was an alternative that we could come up with.

Ive been told no, if I dont attend every week I am not allowed to participate in LL with her. :(

So now im in a muddle.. the whole reason I looked into this in the first place was because I have big emotional issues with food and the idea of having some time away from it while also figuring out my issues through counselling really appealed to me.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative. Im looking into CD and W8, but they dont seem to have the counselling aspect. Is this something I could be reffered to by my GP for? Or are there any books which deal with these sorts of issues.

Im really down in the dumps.. I had my plan all figured out and its all turned to dust now. :banghead:

sorry i cant really help, just wondering is there any one else who could drive u to ll? or is there another councellor near u?
although u need ur gp to sign the form, if ur llc isnt able to accomodate the missing every sec meeting then he couldnt persuad her to.
i do know there are books wandering out there...go to ur nearest library and u should find a load!!

hope u find a solution xxx

The meeting that I attend is 15 miles away and my hubby has to get home from work early so that I can take the car.
One of the girls in our group works shifts and can't always attend the group sessions so she goes in on another day to get weighed and have a chat, she does miss out on some of the counselling but you have a book to read from and it's easy to catch up, so I don't see why your llc has a problem.

Hey rainbow cookie! how about the lipotrim diet? Im on that and u get support from ur pharmacy. Just look at their website and u can find 1 nearest 2 u. They do a medical form with u and check blood pressure, height, weight and can be quite helpful. Welcome to the Lipotrim Website

It was very similar to LL but the packs were very limited in flavours.
Strawberry, Chocolate and Vanilla shakes and chicken soup. I did very well on it but if I had to do it for a length of time , I could see myself getting bored with the flavours. Also the counselling that LL offers appealed to me. Need to sort the food issues out.

Try finding another counsellor, maybe you can alternate between the two? My counsellor had several groups going during the week, and was willing to let me join in another group if I had a problem attending.

I'm sorry that things haven't come to fruition as you'd wished.

The LL sessions can get quite intense and you do build up a rapport with the people in your group, especially when talking about such sensitive and personal things. Maybe your LLC thinks that only attending half the meetings would be unsettling for both you and the group.

I hope you can work it out though.

If not there are loads of books available. I'll attach links to a few but can't give a personal recommendation because I'm still fighting my demons. The first one however I have just read the acknowledgements and I'll let you know if it seems any good once I start reading it properly.

Good luck to you xxx

Breaking Free from Emotional Eating: Geneen Roth: Amazon.co.uk: Books

When You Eat at the Refrigerator: Geneen Roth: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Feeding the Hungry Heart: Geneen Roth: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Started following these 2 and thought they were good, but started LL so no food involved:

Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession with Food Forever: Jane R. Hirschmann, Carol H. Munter: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating: Gillian Riley: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Overcoming Binge Eating: Christopher G. Fairburn: Amazon.co.uk: Books

There are loads more - just have a look through the links on Amazon!

Hiya, thanks all.

The big problem is me not being able to drive myself. It makes day to day life pretty difficult lol.
The next closest LLC is about 45 miles away.. not really something we can manage as hubby would always have to drive me and wee man would have to come along for the ride too.
The closer LLC.. the one I spoke to is just starting out by the sounds of it, she said she isnt running any groups at the mo, and will need to wait for 7 people to want to start one, which might be a couple of months away anyway... I dont think she is very busy at all.

I looked into LT, but nearest participating pharmacy is again, about 45 miles away.

I wonder about doing something like w8 or CD - there is a consultant about 6 miles away , and trying to figure out my own counselling method, whether that be books or whatever.
I dont know whether the NHS offer counselling?

What format does the LL counselling take? I understand there to be a DVD and group discussion but dont really know much more than that. xx

Hi RainbowCookie!

This forum has helped me just as much as the councelling I have gotten from LL! Honest to god, being able to say what issues your having and getting advice from people who have gone through what you are going through, or who are going through it with you is priceless.

If you did decide to do CD, there may not be any proper councelling included with the diet, but there are plenty of people on the mm forums who will help you through the hard times and celebrate the good times with you!

And so many who offer a great source of inspiration!! Don't give up. There is always a way!

B x

Hiya, thank you very much for your message. I have spent a massive amount of time researching, and am going to start w8 after xmas I think. Depending on how it goes, I might look at switching to CD further down the line though as its £15 cheaper a week.

Im just trying to get my head in the right place now, keep having little binges cos im getting in the midset of my time with nice food is limited now lol. Must try not to do this.

xx

Hi Rainbow - good for you. I am glad you found an alternative that will work for you!!! And its time spent wisely getting your head ready. And don;t feel to bad about giving up the "nice food". Remember, in reality - it's not "nice" food, as it's the food that got us here in the first place. The NICE food awaits you when you begin living as a slim person choosing healthy food! ;)

Well done and all the best luck on your journey!!!

I know you are right about the food lol. I have some big issues somewhere along the line and hopefully some time away from food will give me chance to figure those out.
I wish the house wasnt full of yummy things though, we did a lot of our xmas food shopping before I decided I was doing this so I figure its better that I eat it now and get it out of the way than have it left over to torment me once I actually start. I have no willpower at the best of times, lol. xx

Hi Rainbow

It might be worth you contacting your nearest Cambridge CDC - if you have a good one near you then you may find that your one-to-one sessions with them do the trick.

By the way my doctor referred me for counselling a couple of years ago (after my failed attempts at xenical, reductil and a "healthy low fat diet" :rolleyes:), the counselling was free, just wasn't for me. But have a word with your doctor as they may run a similar thing in your area. Good luck xx

I had to goto the doctor for my depo injection today anyway so asked about counselling and he made me feel like such an idiot.. ive spent the rest of the day pretty down about it.
I explained that I would emotionally overeat, binge, diet then sabotage myself, that the whole cycle is really getting my down and seems really destructive. He then said.. so you want me to refer you because you cant stick to a diet? they will just laugh at you and tell you to eat less and exercise more. :cry:
He was a locum doctor, quite young and just didnt seem to understand that I have issues that I need help unravelling. Kept asking me what I thought a counsellor would be able to help me with and what I thought they would say.
Erm.. I dont know.. otherwise I wouldnt have asked to see one.
Then he went through some kind of check list thing which seemed standard for if you want counselling but completely irrelevant..
- do you have trouble sleeping
- are you suicidal
- are you tearful
- do you have trouble eating (obviously f*ing not!)
etc etc

He then said that maybe I should try reductil which would supress my appetite.. I then explained slowly that as I already told him.. its emotional eating I have a problem with.. if I am not phsyically hungry then there is nothing to supress.

I left in a complete fuddle, feeling really crappy and like I wished I hadnt bothered asking.

Does anyone know if there is any other avenues of face to face counselling I could persue myself?

xx

Oh I'm so sorry your doctor was an arse xx I didn't get any of that when I was referred. I suppose it's like the same way in which Doctors' attitudes can vary so much when getting the vlcd consent form signed off.

Sending hugs and I hope you can find something else :hug99:

When you got referred where did they send you to? Was it just a general all purpose counsellor who talked to you or was it a specific weight loss one? xx

Just a general all-purpose one - the idea being that if I could sort myself out and start liking myself etc I wouldn't feel the need to eat myself into oblivion. Unfortunately the counsellor was more interested in telling me all about herself than listening to me so I only lasted for a couple of sessions :-(

Hope this link helps a little - it looks like only half of NHS trusts offer a service:

Counselling - Overview - Policy guidelines

Be careful of finding a counsellor yourself as when I worked in the registrations department of my local college there were lots of people who signed up for counselling courses and although they emerged with a qualification they weren't what you would call trained professionals. Try the Yellow Pages and make sure you ask how long they've been practising and for testimonials from previous clients. It alos might be worth Googling your local health authority website and doing a search on there.

Good luck xx

Back