Pros & Cons Ebook Reader

I love my Kindle. It's great being able to carry so many books in it, and I like being able to bookmark and make notes. I have ME so also really like being able to read long books without having to hold or lug around a brick. ;-)

That said, I still like paper books. I'm not brave enough to read the Kindle in the bath! Still suckered in by special offers at the supermarket, too. And if I know people will want to borrow something, I'll get a hard copy.

I think if they ever sort out being able to lend Kindle books (personally or from a library) that would be a great step forward.

I received a Kindle as a birthday present last year and I have never been without it in my purse ever since. A lot of the classics are free from Amazon which is a plus and often times a month Amazon will sell certain books at deep discounts.

As much as I love books, I adore my Kindle. :)

Nothing beats being able to take hundreds and hundreds of books with you, wherever you go. And many places such as Amazon offer free books - from the classics to current authors.

I like books with real pages and bookish smells, i like to hold a book and have them all lined up on my shelves... the way i feel about e readers is Maggie Smith's reaction to electricity in Downton Abbey... "ghastly"

however...something is making me want to get one for the sheer hell of it.. just to see of course... i think i may have one by the of the year... ;)

bunny_hops said:
I like books with real pages and bookish smells, i like to hold a book and have them all lined up on my shelves... the way i feel about e readers is Maggie Smith's reaction to electricity in Downton Abbey... "ghastly"

however...something is making me want to get one for the sheer hell of it.. just to see of course... i think i may have one by the of the year... ;)

I was totally same as you in every way but now I have my kindle - I wouldn't be without it AND it's saving me a fortune

I was totally same as you in every way but now I have my kindle - I wouldn't be without it AND it's saving me a fortune

My biggest concern is the look of it, will it irritate my eyes, looking at a screen for hours? And the text, will it look like i'm reading from a book :rolleyes:

I could do with testing one out..

bunny_hops said:
My biggest concern is the look of it, will it irritate my eyes, looking at a screen for hours? And the text, will it look like i'm reading from a book :rolleyes:

The s reenact is specially made so the print looks like paper ink..

I read for hours and my eyes don't hurt on the kindle. I read for half an hour on the kindle app on my iPad and it starts hurting.

The screen is the most amazing part of the kindle. You should definately check it out.

bunny_hops said:

That's one of the selling points of the kindle it's the closest to real ink as you'll get. It's not back lit so no glare. You can comfortably read from a kindle the same length of time you'd read a book

Less housework gives you more time reading books or exercising/walking.

doing housework as a steady pace can be exercise in itself :)

That's one of the selling points of the kindle it's the closest to real ink as you'll get. It's not back lit so no glare. You can comfortably read from a kindle the same length of time you'd read a book

You're really selling it to me... If i reach my targets by christmas, i'll treat myself :D I'd like one now, but i feel i should earn it...it'll make me feel better for going over to the dark side ;)

The s reenact is specially made so the print looks like paper ink..

I read for hours and my eyes don't hurt on the kindle. I read for half an hour on the kindle app on my iPad and it starts hurting.

The screen is the most amazing part of the kindle. You should definately check it out.

I was going to download the kindle app to my laptop and try it out, but i think that would put me off even more!

Is the kindle better than the sony ones?

I love my Kindle - never thought I would say that but like some of you, I love it for holidays. However I do miss being able to put a book in someone's hand and say "I loved this, you should read it". Can I also recommend greenmetropolis.com for 2nd hand books.

I was going to download the kindle app to my laptop and try it out, but i think that would put me off even more!

Is the kindle better than the sony ones?

The app is totally different to the kindle so dont base your decision on it if you do.

The kindle seems to get better reviews than the sony one, the kindle is the closest youll get to a real book, without being one. Not sure if the sony one is backlit etc

I love my Kindle. It's great being able to carry so many books in it, and I like being able to bookmark and make notes. I have ME so also really like being able to read long books without having to hold or lug around a brick. ;-)

That said, I still like paper books. I'm not brave enough to read the Kindle in the bath! Still suckered in by special offers at the supermarket, too. And if I know people will want to borrow something, I'll get a hard copy.

I think if they ever sort out being able to lend Kindle books (personally or from a library) that would be a great step forward.

I understand you can now 'lend' your kindle books to other kindle users, not entirely sure how it works, but i read something briefly about it yesterday. It gets automatically transferred back to you after 15 days.

Lynn_ said:
I understand you can now 'lend' your kindle books to other kindle users, not entirely sure how it works, but i read something briefly about it yesterday. It gets automatically transferred back to you after 15 days.

Oh excellent, thanks for sharing that. I'll check it out! :D

Back