protien fat and carbs

charlottegrace1

Gold Member
Have any of you looked to see if your plan comes close to the government daily recommended intake of protien fat and carbs. I have today and guess what..... its no where near lol.

recommended protien 45gms mine 108grms
recommended fat 90gms mine 45gms
recommended carbs 230gms mine 508gms

Do I care....nope!

Things I do when I'm bored:sigh:

I do nothing according to the government :p

recommended protien 45gms mine 108grms
recommended fat 90gms mine 45gms
recommended carbs 230gms mine 508gms

Umm, that can't be right, surely :confused: because it depends on your size. The bigger you are, the more protein/carbs/fat you need. Percentage wise it should be something like 55/15/30 (55% cals from carbs, 15% cals from protein, 30% cals from fat).

I'm about that, though sometimes closer to 50/20/30. Not that I count :D Just did at the beginning of maintenance.

I'm not SW though...so ignore me :D

Things I do when I'm bored:sigh:

I'm likewise :D

How very random! Is that the values for a healthy diet or a weight loss diet though?

Umm, it depends. Obviously you can lose weight by just reducing calories, regardless of what the ratios are.

Some diets suggest that you keep roughly to those ratios and then increase the portion sizes to maintain.

In the UK, many of the diets go for much lower fat. That's still the trend here. I'm not sure what they suggest for maintenance, but I should imagine, to continue with a lower level of fat.

I would say, in an ideal world the people who make these ratios (which are similar in other parts of the world), are thinking for healthy eating and weightloss. Since most go for the eat healthily but less calories and move more stance.

We know that it isn't always as easy as that, so there's plans out there like SW who find way to reduce calories even if it means changing the ratios to make it feel easier and so more sustainable. Absolutely fine in the short term IMO, as long as the fats and protein don't go too low as both are essential for health (especially protein when you are dieting)

I should add that Cambridge also 'tweak' the ratios but again, it's just short term....to make the diet more sustainable.

How very random! Is that the values for a healthy diet or a weight loss diet though?

Thats for an average women who is not on a diet on the 2000 cals a day recommended for maintenance. So I guess doing the percentages would be a more accurate way when dieting. I still aint bovered though.

I totally agree KD.

With SW they make it clear that you must have the HEx's everyday (the combination of which depends on the plan), which are foods rich in protein, carbodyrates, fats, sugars and calcium and all the other nutrients we need but excess amounts of these foods lead to weigh gain, which is why SW HEx's are a set weight/volume. (sorry don't mean to go into the inner workings of SW! Old habbits die hard! :p)

I think, as a generalisation, that people don't know or even care what amounts or indeed ratios of food groups and nutrients they are taking in. Too much emphisis is on numbers. As I've said before whats the point in being a size 8 and extremely unhealthy? I'd much rather be a size 14/16 and healthy :D

I guess you can get to a healthy weight and body, as long as you took a healthy route there :)

Thats for an average women who is not on a diet on the 2000 cals a day recommended for maintenance. So I guess doing the percentages would be a more accurate way when dieting. I still aint bovered though.

I see! Well CG, as long as you are healthy, I don't see the point in getting all your food wrappers and a calculator out everyday!

I've never worked that out! I don't think about that side of things too much - I kinda trust that by eating healthily (like I usually do, not this week though! Oops) I am giving my body pretty much what it needs.

I have, however, worked out how many calories my SW day works out at, occasionally. Surprisingly low! This was when I was new and keen though. I bet if I do it now, it's crept up...which might explain why I've stopped losing recently... (nothing to do with wine and pizza at all!!!!)

Slimming World is clever Hellie! We think we're eating loads, which in volume we probably are, but in calories we are not :) That's why people say "how can you lose weight, you never stop eating!?" Think about how many calories are in a bar of chocolate, its about 2.5 inches and the same calories as a bag of pasta! Fabulous!

Back