Pumpkin recipes?

Mummy_Helen

Silver Member
We just bought a pumpkin for the kids to carve for halloween, obviously we want to let it dry thoroughly for the day so bought it early.

What can I make with the flesh? I love pumpkin pie, so a SW version would be great, but any ideas are welcome :)

Pumpkin soup is lovely.
Also pumpkin added to a casserole, or roasted in chunks in the oven and added to salad, pasta etc.

I've got a gorgeous pumpkin soup recipe in one of my Jamie Oliver cookbooks - it might be adaptable but won't be syn free as it's got coconut milk in it. I can post it when I get home if you like?

Here's a Valentine Warner recipe which is easily adaptable for SW if you replace the butter with frylight and omit the sherry
I made this last week using a squash, but I did add some chilli to give it a bit of a kick!

BBC - Food - Recipes : Pumpkin soup

Is it the great big orange pumpins they have in the shops at the moment? I've been led to believe that the flesh of these ones is quite tasteless as they are primarily grown to be used as lanterns rather than as food.

I like the little baby pumpkins roasted with veg and herbs with a bit of goats cheese on top.

I intended to cook the lantern one last year, but after it had been sitting with a candle in it for a while, it smelled funny.

The one we had was quite small from Asda. I ended up making the soup and it was lovely, I left the sherry in though. Now I have to get another 2 because the kids want a pumpkin each for halloween..lol

Back