Extra Easy Pureed fruit!!!!

xxrebeccaxx

Silver Member
I'm totally baffled!!! I eat alot if fruit like strawberries raspberries pineapple so I thought to mix things up I'd make a smoothie out of it! I used the above fruit a dash of orange juice and 100% fat free Greek yogurt and ice and blended it all together!! Was so yummy! But then someone has told me you have to sin pureed fruit!
Surely it's exactly the same as if I ate it whole??? I can't see the problem if everything is syn free??? Just because I've mashed it how can I then be syned?

Thanx in advance x

I think it has to do with a few things. Firstly, the amount of time and energy taken to consume and digest a whole piece of fruit (like a handful of strawberries) would be more than if you puree it and drink it as you would need to chew the fruit and eat it a piece at a time, rather than swallowing it all at once. Also, by pureeing fruit it increases the likelihood that you'll eat more of it as a handful of strawberries would make only a small amount of puree but would be quite a lot of fruit to eat in its normal form. If you have a mixed fruit smoothie, it could have a large amount of fruit in it that you may not normally eat all in one go. That would mean you'd be consuming more calories than if you had the fruit a piece at a time.

Liquids also aren't as filling as whole fruits either as most of the hard work of chewing it, breaking it down and digesting it (for the most part) has already been done for you. Also, I think that by pureeing fruit it releases more of its natural sugars than eating it normally would, which means your body doesn't have to work as hard to break the fruit down.

I just gleamed this from various other threads and websites but I think it's pretty much the reason for it :)

^^Exactly what Anti222 said

I know it seems strange but the reason for this rule is the time it takes to eat an individual piece of fruit, for example it would take you much longer to eat all the fruit you put in your smoothie but when it's all blended together you can just gulp it down in no time at all. Also chewing sends signals to your brain that you have eaten food therefore you will feel more full up. It's also to do with how the fibre / sugars are broken down although that's where it gets a bit scientific lol.

We have all been caught out by this!

So annoying isn't it! I love homemade smoothies =( I think it's also something to do with the sugars that are released when its puréed xx

It's to do with satiety. You don't feel as full or satisfied from drinking a smoothie or juice as you do when you eat it.

It isn't to do with sugar release, breakdown or digestion. It's all to do with satisfaction.

Its in the book and I always mention it in the new member talk.

Just to add - you can have a smoothie, but just have to syn it - dont feel deprived on SW - xxx

Ive read a few food diaries where u use a mullerlight a scoop of light icecream and berries think its aout 5 syns all in all which is fab really for a nice gooey smoothie bulked out with ice toox

Back