Putting on weight - no calorie defecit?

MinxyKitten73

Hi all. Am hoping someone can help me as I'm at my wits end.

I've put on 6lbs in the last 3-4 weeks. I haven't been eating any more than usual, but it's piling on.

I've been calorie counting for two weeks and still putting weight on.

My trouble is that I don't have a big appetite. When not dieting, I am lucky if I hit 1200 a day. My loss cals always work out between 1200 and 1300. By following this, I am not creating a calorie defecit from my usual way of eating.

I don't know what to do. Am desperate to lose the extra weight I've put on, then some more. Am currently waiting for a Docs appt at 11 so will also mention to him, as I'm peri-menopausal too 😢😢

Can anyone help with the amount of cals I should be eating please? Am currently 10st 9lb and 5'2". Sedentary job. Thanks.

Hey hun,
I do calorie counting. What kind of things are you eating?
My typical day is as follows:
1 Slim Fast Shake 200 calories
2-3 100 calorie snacks (crisps, fruit, cup a soup, pop corn etc)
600 calorie dinner
I'm sticking to around 1000 - 1100 calories a day and it seems to be working really well.
It's worth speaking to you dr as you shouldn't be gaining on a low calorie diet.

Hey hun,
I do calorie counting. What kind of things are you eating?
My typical day is as follows:
1 Slim Fast Shake 200 calories
2-3 100 calorie snacks (crisps, fruit, cup a soup, pop corn etc)
600 calorie dinner
I'm sticking to around 1000 - 1100 calories a day and it seems to be working really well.
It's worth speaking to you dr as you shouldn't be gaining on a low calorie diet.

It's a mystery isn't it? Typical day is porridge and skimmed milk for breakfast. Boiled egg snack. Chicken salad for lunch. Low fat yogurt. Homemade chilli/ bolognaise with wm rice/pasta or chicken, veg, small amount of potatoes. All within cals and clean food.

In the past I'd lose easily if sticking to around 1000 but the warnings not to go below 1200 are everywhere. I'm eating a lot of food for me and wondering if I should go back to around 1000 like you...

I had particularly weird weight gain once, and I went to the doctor. It can be a thyroid problem (mine was at the lower end of normal, but nothing they could do anything about). But it's worth asking.
On a positive note, the doctor said to me that gaining weight for no good reason is usually not a very bad sign (I believe there are things they can do about thyroid) - it's losing weight that tends to be more of a worrying trend. My point being - there's nothing to be worried about in just going and asking.
People's metabolisms do vary enormously. I have to eat very little or I gain weight all the time. My husband once said that, if he didn't see me all the time - including 24 hours per day on holidays - he'd swear I'd have to be bingeing in private, as I just don't eat that much!

On the other hand, I know at Slimming World they used to say that sometimes you have to eat more to lose or your metabolism slows down.

It's so confusing - honestly, if anyone says that 'weight loss is simple - it's calories in and calories out and that's it', I think I'll bomp them on the head!

It's a mystery isn't it? Typical day is porridge and skimmed milk for breakfast. Boiled egg snack. Chicken salad for lunch. Low fat yogurt. Homemade chilli/ bolognaise with wm rice/pasta or chicken, veg, small amount of potatoes. All within cals and clean food.

In the past I'd lose easily if sticking to around 1000 but the warnings not to go below 1200 are everywhere. I'm eating a lot of food for me and wondering if I should go back to around 1000 like you...

That could be it. If you're used to eating less than calories and now you're eating more. Have you thought about lowering your calories back down to 1000 a day? That might work.

I do 16/8 Intermittent fasting. The only diet i have had success with and i still count cals. Just be sure you are ok to do it . Av lost inches and a pound week X

Back