Quark

mumto4

Not something i have ever tried but since reading on a few threads different things people use quark for or add to it i'd love some suggestions. Also is it syn free? Quark i mean. :)

Thanks

yep, quark is syn free!

i used to use it in savoury dishes, but didn't really like it much :( but i've now discovered adding options hot chocolate to it, and it's like a really creamy chocolate mousse... yum! :D

i've heard that other people add a teaspoon of jam or lemon curd to it too :)

its nice mixed with tuna and sweetcorn for jacket filling or blended with tuna to make a syn free pate

I get it from Morrisons or Tesco and i use it in mashed potato instead of milk.

I used it tonight mixed with chopped garlic and basil as the filling for my home-made chicken kievs - my partner loved them.....

Quark is a bit like Marmite I think, you either love it or hate it, I love both, I like just sccoping quark out of the tub wth carrots and celery batons - it's SF food and a good snack when the 'munchies' start, (takes ages to eat too) try it, it's 58p a tub at Tesco..

Oh we love the fluffy stuff in our house. Everyone eats it, and it's a dead generous portion for 1/2 syn. Best use of quark!

If you mash up 56g danish blue (2x HeA) add this to it and leave overnight it becomes the nicest blue cheese spread. I had it over 2 days on scan bran and dipped carrot sticks in it.....lovely

Yes I was going to ask that!

Here you go. I expect it's in the recipe section somewhere but:
1 sachet sugar free jelly
zest of citrus fruit (orange, lemon or lime to go with jelly flavour)
4 tsp gelatine (or agar agar if vege)
2x200g vanilla mullerlight
198g quark
sweetner to taste
large egg white

make up the jelly with 1/4 pint boiling water and stir geletine in. When it cools put it in food processor with zest yogurt, quark and sweetner and blend it rtill smooth. whisk the egg white till stiff and slowly fold in the jelly mixture. Stick it in a non stick dish (i use a plastic jelly mould , works a treat) then chill till set. usually takes a couple of hours in my fridge, but can take longer! Some people add chopped fresh fruit pieces, like mango, orange etc Suppose you could use the mullerlight with choc sprinkles for a change - might try that this week!

Just seen a recipe totally different to mine (quark, choc options and milky way) in the recipe section under Mc Fluffy (Significantly more syns, up to 11 i think). Interesting how different people have the same name for totally different puds!

I use quark to make my syn free quiches, add to mashed potato or for Tuna and Mayo... :)

I use it to make SW quiches, dips, dressings, or sweeten with splenda and spoon over fruit. Last night I stirred it through my mushroom risotto for added creaminess.
It took me a while to warm up to quark, I got a bit stuck on how to use it. Now I get through a couple of tubs a week!

Whenever I use cheese triangles, I add some quark to them and mix it all together ..... the cheesiness goes much further that way.

Hhhhmm I wonder if we could add it to cheese triangles made into a cheese sauce (just add some water, and heat either in micro or over a pan of boiling water) to make it go a bit further, or whether it would split!? Might have to give that a go!

Jx

I've posted my recipe for fluffy stuff on page 1 of this thread, or go to recipes for the alternative (it's quark plus options choc sachets essentially)

Whenever I use cheese triangles, I add some quark to them and mix it all together ..... the cheesiness goes much further that way.

Hhhhmm I wonder if we could add it to cheese triangles made into a cheese sauce (just add some water, and heat either in micro or over a pan of boiling water) to make it go a bit further, or whether it would split!? Might have to give that a go!

Jx
Let us know how that goes! I'd love a nice cheesy sauce with pasta!

Quark ideas

I like it mixed in the food processor with smoked salmon and lemon juice to make a pate / dip which is free on red days. I've even given this to non dieters who have said its really good.

It also makes a pretty good alternative to cream and butter in scrambled eggs. :)

Back