query about goal weight

rachaelh

hi all, just a bit of a quick question about settng goal weights on behalf of hubby, so far he's lost 63lbs at ww and decided to talk to leader who for weeks has been telling him to set his goal as he's near target, so last night he did and he's been crushed, he was told he has to lose another 4 stone so he is in the healthy BMI range, with a max weight of 12 stone 1lb for his 5ft9 frame, now he has broad shoulders and other than a little bit of a belly is very muscular else where (as he now majorly hits the cardio exercise) he feels that surely this is too low as thats also the same weight i should technically be and he can't understand why it would need to be so low for a man, especially with his mentality of muscle weighing more than fat... point being is there any way to contest ww goal weight? he still feels he could lose 2 stone, but no way 4, and as a result of this he's now ready to quit

grrrrr!!!

Hiya and super well done to hubs and you for your support ........
We spoke about thus on here before, your totally right everyone is different, I used to be a size 16 at 12.5 stone, I have just got into a size 16 and I'm 14st 2 this us due to exercise but I've set my goal at 24.9 as it's what the medical profession say we should be.
I don't think anyone has to be 24.9 for ww goal but I haven't been to a meeting for over a year so I'm not sure now
Did they say he had to be at least 24.9?
TBH I thunk it's worth going slightly under a goal we set ourselves to allow for a small gain on maintance when we are adjusting points.
My mum lost 4 stone a few years back and was 58 she looked great at 9.7 but had to be 8.10 and she then looked washed out. We are all different and to me hubs sounds healthy and really I think should go for the goal he wants. Sometimes though when we lose alot of weight it's hard for people to see a new slim us and think we shouldn't lose anymore so maybe if he dud get to 24.9 bmi you will adjust to it, but it's not wort. Him hacking it in if he fills pushed into a weight he finds too low.
I'm doing it alone and am setting my 1st goal 1stone heavier to see how I feel at 10.10
xx

The problem with BMI is that it doesn't take into consideration body muscle. Many top athletes would probably register as "overweight" if they put their weight etc into a BMI counter. It should be about where he feels comfortable not what other people think is the correct weight for him. My ideal weight according to my BMI is around 9 stone something but even at 10 1/2 people thought I looked too skinny and I was in a size 10.

it all depends like people have said tbh hun, not everyone suits losing weight... and when they do suit it... it's only at a certain weight, if they go too low they start to feel older and look washed out like others have said above, tbh who has the right to tell you YOUR goal? no one has, whatever you hubby is happy with, then that's his goal! don't worry about what others think you should be, go by what yourself want to be xx

It's really important to choose a goal that you (or he, in this case) feel good at. Bmi is ok as a rough guide but it's of limited use. All rugby players for example are overweight by bmi, and linford Christie at the peak of his career was morbidly obese! X

ooh,it makes me mad to hear about people who are supposed to be helping you to achieve your own goals and dreams,putting pressure on you to make you hit someone elses goals,and so making people feel like failiures,when they have plainly been acheiving!
i agree with whats been said already,everyone is different,body shape and type,muscle mass etc.
you and your oh seem to have both been doing a brilliant job!you tell him to keep at what he's doing untill he feels healthy and happy,and stuff what anyone else thinks.group leaders included.
having done so well,i'd rather find a different class,with a better attitude than give up the healthy lifestyle.
good luck to you both.:)

Ahhh this is what does my head in about WW. Your husband has done really well and should be getting the support he deserves from the leader. I think that some of the "goals" are a bit OTT. I mean when I was in WW back in 2002 I got down to just over 11 stone from 16 stone and was told that to get my "gold" membership I had to get to the healthy bmi for my height and the leader told me that I needed to get to between 9 stone 7lbs and 10stone 11lbs. Now at that weight I was a Size 14 and happy with my weight - I am broad shouldered with an ample bosom and any more weight off would have made me look sick. (Well my family agreed with me on it - told me I looked older). So it's a personal decision - if your hubby wants to lose another 2 stone then so be it....he is healthier now and BMI is but a number which gets used way to much. :rolleyes:

hi there I completely agree with the posts above. When I lost weight the last time with WW I was told my goal weight was somewhere between 9 stone 7lbs and 11st 7lbs. I got down to 12 stone - I was a size 14 and perfectly happy with my body, anymore and I would have looked gaunt. I would say to your hubby to set his own goal weight and ignore the one that WW sets for him. I completely ignore BMI charts for reasons also mentioned in previous posts

Sharkbait1983 x

Back