Question about cervical cancer O/T

Seaneen

Short and pink
Okay, this might seem a bit off topic but hey.

I'm 22, never had a smear test. Recently, though I've been bleeding in between periods and getting pain down there. I know these are symptoms of cervical cancer but I wondered if the bleeding part might be down to weight loss or something?

hey hun, i get bleeding now and then all the time and so does many other people.. its all down to cd :)

as for cervical cancer you would be bad, you would have more symptoms than that.. i actually got graded for that and had to have cells burnt away etc wont go into it ..

i would make an appointment to have a smeal done anyway, you should have 1 done atleast every 1-2 years.. i have to have one done every 6 months... you see a nurse... its ok they seen it all before :)

put your mind at rest hun :)

Thank you, just a bit worried cos I don't have a GP right now (long story) and my mum had cervical cancer so I get scared.

its ok hun... i think i know what your going through... ring nhs direct explain it to them your worrys etc and they can help you get to see a nurse for a test... you can also request one in a&e :)

Hi Hun,

Just wanted to say that at 22, if you've been sexually active you should have a smear test, just to eliminate any worries you might have, especially with your family history.

There could be lots of reasons why you are having pain/interval bleeding. CD being one of them. Additionally you could easily have a pelvic inflammatory infection or it could equally be nothing! :) Always best to have these things checked out and put your mind at ease if nothing else.

You can pop into your local family planning clinic or GU clinic and have this done. Not very many GPs do smears nowadays.

Amethyst, sorry to contradict you, but a very close friend of mine has just had a radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer and she had NO symptoms whatsoever. She was very lucky in that she had a "borderline" smear test and her concerned consultant wanted to do a further biopsy under general anaestetic as she had a rather strange shaped cervix. Luckily (thankfully) they found the cancer hiding at a bit of her cervix they would never have gotten too with a general colposcopy. She's doing well and has recovered fantastically, well certainly physically, but is now dealing with the mental effects of only being 36 and having no children :-(

I'm sure you can understand why this is a subject I feel quite passionately about having had someone so close to me suffer from this dreadful awful disease. Now I just have to work on my sister who is 27, been sexually active for 11 years and has STILL never had a smear, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I would urge all women to have their regular smears. Its free, doesn't hurt and could very well save your life.

C xxx

It's not mandatory until 25 or so, I think. 20 in Northern Ireland. Should have stayed there!

I will get a smear I think. I'm pretty worried. Could be nothing but I'm paranoid. I'm sorry about your friend, Scottishmum. x

Thanks hun. I know its not compulsory but you can get one if you're worried. Best to be in the know than paranoid eh!?

Let us know how you get on!

C xxx

I think the most sensible thing to do is get a smear test done asap. If it really worries you, speak to your GP. I used to have the same problem, I bled very easily and was told I had a cervix that was prone to injury and bleeding. It could be nothing, but to be on the safe side, I really urge you to get tested.

Apart from anything else, cervical cancer is one of the easiest cancers to treat and cure, too many women don't have smear tests because they're embarrassed. But personally, I would rather face a little embarrassment, than the prospect of cancer.

Mid cycle bleeding can also be due to ovulation or other changes in hormones during the cycle and can be completely normal

However if you are concerned I would agree with those who posted previously, even if you are not sexually active, if you are concerned at all, it is best to have a smear test done to put your mind at ease.

Hi Hun,

Just wanted to say that at 22, if you've been sexually active you should have a smear test, just to eliminate any worries you might have, especially with your family history.

There could be lots of reasons why you are having pain/interval bleeding. CD being one of them. Additionally you could easily have a pelvic inflammatory infection or it could equally be nothing! :) Always best to have these things checked out and put your mind at ease if nothing else.

You can pop into your local family planning clinic or GU clinic and have this done. Not very many GPs do smears nowadays.

Amethyst, sorry to contradict you, but a very close friend of mine has just had a radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer and she had NO symptoms whatsoever. She was very lucky in that she had a "borderline" smear test and her concerned consultant wanted to do a further biopsy under general anaestetic as she had a rather strange shaped cervix. Luckily (thankfully) they found the cancer hiding at a bit of her cervix they would never have gotten too with a general colposcopy. She's doing well and has recovered fantastically, well certainly physically, but is now dealing with the mental effects of only being 36 and having no children :-(

I'm sure you can understand why this is a subject I feel quite passionately about having had someone so close to me suffer from this dreadful awful disease. Now I just have to work on my sister who is 27, been sexually active for 11 years and has STILL never had a smear, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I would urge all women to have their regular smears. Its free, doesn't hurt and could very well save your life.

C xxx

Good post - well said.

Yes go and get a smear test done. Not sure if family planning clinics can do them?? Or GUM clinics at hospitals??

dont they call cervical cancer the silent killer, because generally there are so few if any symptoms, I'd again urge you to get a smear done

I'd go to your nearest GUM ( Genito Urinary Medicine ) clinic.

It's completely confidential - they won't even inform your GP if you don't want

They will give you a full check up and go through everything with you

Good luck

x

I had the same thing going on for a while. It turned out that I was on the wrong pill....there wasnt enough hormones in the pill to regulate me. Also in Ireland we have to go for a smear every year otherwise the doctors wont renew your prescription for your pill.

Best to get it check out though like the girls said!

Back