Question about ketosis

MysticMagic

Is ketosis the same regardless of how you get there?

IE if one gets into ketosis by following a vlcd, can one then switch to eg atkins (also a ketosis diet) without coming out of ketosis?

Anyone know?

Yes, you can do that. Once you're in ketosis it's all about keeping carbs low enough to stay there.

How does that affect weight loss though? For example, if I was having a "hungry" day, would eating more than 100g of meat do little to no damage? Why does this diet insist on only 100g if it doesn't make a difference?

It does make a difference as it's more calories on Atkins. A VLCD is designed for rapid losses because calories and carbs are kept low. Atkins is based around fat burning and ketosis too but the losses will be slower because you will consume more calories than on a VLCD. You can only have 100g of protein on S&S because that's the amount that has been calculated as being required to make up for only having 3 packs instead of 4, and you need a certain amount of protein every day to retain health.

However atkins claims the same kind of losses?

Sorry, just trying to understand....

I think if people really did lose as much weight on Atkins or SW or whatever other diets there are we'd all be losing weight just fine. It's because none of those diets consistently lose you a stone a month that people come here to do a VLCD.

Thank you all. I really appreciate all your answers x

Back