quick question..fruit smoothies

pmsl - of course you can chop and slice fruit and it stays free - that was just one of my crazy moments - sorry ladies!

I can just imagine an unchopped fruit salad - whole apple, whole banana, whole orange etc hahahahaha :D

You gave me a fright there young lady! Lol :giggle:
1st of all you bear the bad news of the smoothies, now about chopping... get a grip woman! Heehee ha ha ha :giggle:

HAHA whole fruit in a bowl just tickled me !!! it's like the whole frozen fruit saga all over again remember to syn fruit if it comes from a bag in the freezer because obviously whoever puts them in the bag does evil things to them which make them fruit with syns

Fruit is always synned when pureed or cooked.

Reason is.... you can consume so much more fruit in a smoothie than if you ate it!

I don't understand this logic at all ... the fruit I use in my smoothies is exactly the same amount I would eat if I were having it whole. A small banana is still a small banana whether you eat it as is or put in in a blender! It's exactly the same amount of fruit.

In addition, there are many, many fruits I just wouldn't eat whole, but am quite happy to drink in a smoothie - berries are a good example, very good for you, but I was missing out on them when I first started SW because I just don't like them whole.

Anyway, I decided this synning-fruit-when-you-put-it-in-a-blender thing is illogical and silly and damaging in the sense that I was getting less fruit after starting SW than before. So I've gone back to having my fruit smoothie every day, which I count as Free Foods, and it hasn't affected my weight loss at all.

I'M WITH ELIZABETH ON THIS ONE KIDS IT IS ILLOGICAL !!! i'm sure i remember it being more about the chemical composition of the fruit or is that me mixing work with my diet i don't remember

I trust SW on most things, but as I say, it hasn't affected my weight loss in any way so I'm just going to keep on having my smoothie. I figure it's better to get the fruit in that way than not get it at all.

Heres a post I made some time ago to someone else who posted a similar thing.....I hope it straightens things out a bit regarding smoothies/juicing.

Ok, let me see if I can explain!!!
The SW plan is all about foods which satisfy us and so we are suppose to eat less in the long run....some days we may eat more and some days we may eat less.

Right, some days for my lunch, I make a big fresh fruit salad to take to work with me and when I've eaten that I feel satisfied! (its huge, trust me and I eat it with a fork!!) I actually feel like I've eaten something!!!
Now, if I made the same amount of fruit into a smoothie and guzzled that down me, I would probably (knowing me!!) be looking for something else to eat as I wouldn't actually have felt that I had eaten anything......am I making sense!! lol Therefore, in the long run, I will be eating more food, right?
So say, you had 2 oranges for a snack, the fact that you had eaten them would probably satisfy for a while....now if you had the juice of 2 oranges for your snack....would that satisfy you....or would you be looking for something else to eat? I know I would!!!! lol

This is the thing though, I find a smoothie fills me up so much that I'm not hungry for ages! I'm one of those people who finds it hard to face food in the mornings, I don't really want to eat until lunchtime. A smoothie is the perfect thing for me as a breakfast, it keeps me going until early afternoon.

I've settled into a pattern of having two meals a day plus a smoothie, and feel well satisfied on that. It seems to suit me and the weight loss is still going strong, so I'm gonna stick with it. :)

but syn's are worked out due to nutrition value not psychosymatic value ??? so that would go against slimming world. oh bugger it anyways at the end of the day it's fruit and it's hardly gonna put you a stone on is it , it's not like were saying it's ok i'm gonna blend an eclair and throw it in with some raspberries and it's free it's just fruit and milk and that is better than a big mac or a sandwich anyday

it's not like were saying it's ok i'm gonna blend an eclair and throw it in with some raspberries and it's free it's just fruit and milk and that is better than a big mac or a sandwich anyday

Exactly, and I think for those like me who are a bit weird and don't like actually eating fruit in the whole state, it's better than not getting any fruit at all, which is what was happening to me when I first started SW.

Fruit is always synned when pureed or cooked.

Reason is.... you can consume so much more fruit in a smoothie than if you ate it!

I don't have smoothies, I do stick to the rules on this but it grates me a little because an ideal smoothie for me would be 1 banana, ice cubes, some milk from my allowance, couple of tablespoons of low fat yoghurt (plain) and a handful of chopped strawberries, blueberries or raspberries - now thats the amount of fruit I would have on top of my branflakes, so I wouldn't be eating any more by having the smoothie! So I don't see why I can't have one!! "stamping my feet in frustration". But still I don't , i stick to the rules :confused: but I could kill a smoothie right now with 1 slice of toast and a bit of marmite yum yum.!!

heh well if you lot are going to have them, then, damn it!! So will I - i do love being rebellious!!

What difference does it make if you mash it before you eat it or you chew it and mash it in your mouth!! A banana is a banana aa long as its only 1!

Hi Lydia good luck with the Moonwalk, I have done four upto date, 1 London and 3 Edinburgh es. Very hard work but worth it, dont forget to vaseline your feet well, Oh and dont bank on the food in the tent being nice!! It repeats on you all night LOL. Im not doing one this year as the London one was full and the edinburgh one is near to my 40th birthday and dont plan to be in any fit state to walk 26.2 miles.

Yep. It's exactly the same amount of energy (ie calories) you would be taking in if you ate the fruit whole, so I don't see a problem. I mean I can understand why fruit juice is synned, because you're losing most of the actual pulp and therefore getting less fibre. If I add juice to my smoothie I always syn it, and I'm fine with that. But more often than not my smoothie is just whatever fresh fruit I want, plus a free yogurt like Activia (I drink tea during the day and prefer to keep my HexA milk allowance for that), thinned out to the consistency I want with a bit of mineral water.

Hi Lydia good luck with the Moonwalk, I have done four upto date, 1 London and 3 Edinburgh es. Very hard work but worth it, dont forget to vaseline your feet well, Oh and dont bank on the food in the tent being nice!! It repeats on you all night LOL. Im not doing one this year as the London one was full and the edinburgh one is near to my 40th birthday and dont plan to be in any fit state to walk 26.2 miles.

Thanks Sara, this is actually my second one, did it last year. Funny enough, I really liked the food in the tent last year, had the quorn pasta bake! Thoroughly enjoyed the free massages though! I didn't vaseline my feet last year I invested in some Twin Skin socks and I didn't get any blisters at all, so going with that again. Looking forward to it being over LOL!!!!

i agree totally!!i mean fruit is fruit and whether u blend it or not it ends up the same once its in ur stomach lol!! i use mullerlight with a banana and a few strawberries and as far as im concerned its free!!!!!:D

i agree totally!!i mean fruit is fruit and whether u blend it or not it ends up the same once its in ur stomach lol!! i use mullerlight with a banana and a few strawberries and as far as im concerned its free!!!!!:D

Do you think its affecting your weightloss?

Do you think its affecting your weightloss?

I've been having my smoothies again for the past couple of months and it doesn't seem to have affected my losses at all. I've now lost 4st in five months, so if free fruit suddenly gains syns by being put in a blender, nobody's told my metabolism! :D

I've been having my smoothies again for the past couple of months and it doesn't seem to have affected my losses at all. I've now lost 4st in five months, so if free fruit suddenly gains syns by being put in a blender, nobody's told my metabolism! :D

Cool!!! Thats settled it, I'm having a banana and blueberry smoothie and 1 slice of toast and marmite for my breakfast tomorrow, can't wait!!!

Back