Quick/ready meals

xnatx

Hi all, i have been on sw since beginning of November, not lost much really considering how much i have to loose.

Not down to sw but down to me i have been cheating and ruining it for myself.

I am totally fed up with being overweight it holds me back from everything so i am determind to get on with it 100 percent.

My problem is there are some times i just dont have time or energy to cook so wondered what there is to just grab and eat or quick ready meals etc preferably free or low syn

I no of the pasta and sauces and savoury rices but not sure about anything else really, i do prefer red days but not found any really quick easy dinners for them.

Why not do a yummy stirfry? One pack of stir fry veg, some beef strips (low fat / healthy variety), and some fine egg noodles. I usually add a beef oxo cube, some cajun spice, and a good shake of soya sauce to mine to make it spicy and full of flavour. I often have left-overs from this meal the next day, and it's still delicious then.

Ommlettes are quick and easy, and can be made with lots of different fillings. Served with a big healthy salad or side vegetables of course to get your veg!!

Or, what about investing in a slow cooker so that it's done for you when you get back. Or, just accepting that you will cook every other day, and have one half on the day you cook it and the other half the next day.

I do think that while you rely on ready meals, you aren't as likely to be eating the amount of veg that will give a good weight loss, and aren't really changing your eating habits (which for most of us is half the problem). Also, most ready meals have syns, which you can avoid by cooking yourself.

You could get things like Tescos stewing steak (in red tin) and add fresh veg to go with it. Asda/ Sainsbury lamb shanks are free too.

Thanks for your suggestions, i do have a slow cooker which i use but was after quick easy things for lunch more than anything. I dont want to eat bread so quite often have ryvita with various toppings on but wouldnt mind something hot sometimes particually in this cold.
Omelette is a good idea i always forget about them! In fact i had one for lunch today with mixed peppers ham and onion was lovely!

I would like some suggestions for ready meals too. I don't usually have them, but I have been quite ill recently and I am just getting my appetite back, but I have no energy at all for cooking. So a little stock of tasty things I can just put in the oven or microwave would be handy, until I get back on my feet again. Nothing with lots of tomato, though.

Okay, so this isn't an option for everyday, but I really like the Tesco Light Choices Lamb Moussaka

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tesco Light Choices, Lamb Moussaka, chilled 350g pack[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
3 Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 3 Syns
green.gif
Green 6½ Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

For an EE day, you really need to put some veg/salad with it. I sometimes grab one for after WI - if I'm going to the cinema - and just put some green beans/mangetout with it.

P.S. Sorry that you've been feeling poorly, and hope that you'll be soon feeling back to normal.

Last edited:
As a standby I usually keep in my locker at work some tins of Sainsbury Vegetable Ravioli (syn free and only about 60p a tin)or normal ravioli from there which is 1.5 syns on green or EE.
The Stagg Low Fat chilli is pretty delicious and only 4.5 syns for whole can on green or EE, but I still think that's fairly steep on syns for lunch!
My fave lunch this week (but I've been at home!) was small jacket potato topped with asda sweet chilli and pepper cottage cheese, with a big salad and a sainsburys be good to yourself chargrilled quarter pounder beef burger (2.5 syns on red or EE). Obviously, the potato was in the oven a while, but didn't require attention. Won't be able to have that when I'm back to school next week though. :eek:(

Back