Quitting smoking on SW

saraphoenix

Hey everyone,

I've made the rather brave (or perhaps crazy?!) decision to quit smoking on Monday; this in itself is hard, but to combine it with dieting as well is going to really test me. Can anyone recommend low syn sweets or anything like that? Is chewing gum synned?

It'll be a miracle if I lose next weigh in (Thursday), but am going to try so hard not to eat my bodyweight in chocolate! (It's also star week so isn't going to help matters!!). Have I set myself the biggest challenge or what?! lol.

Thanks everyone

If you search for syn free jelly sweets you'll find the recipe that's on the recipe thread - sorry, am hopeless at posting links!

Best of luck with quitting smoking, hate to say it but I've been off them two years now and still miss them lol :(

Lol thanks :)

I've tried quitting so many times, but now I'm having chest problems I really need to. Am just hoping it doesn't impact on my weightloss too much!!

When I quit I was trying to do WeightWatchers. I think that was way way way more difficult, as if I'd been doing Slimming World there would have been all the free foods I could still eat without "running out" of nice foods, if you see what I mean! As it was, I was hungry and nicotine-starved and couldn't really do much about it! Somehow fruit doesn't work when all you want is a smoke. By the way, have you thought of trying the e-cigs? I still use mine sometimes and you can also buy different flavours which means if you're craving chocolate for example you can have a chocolate flavoured smoke with no nicotine and no tar - win win, I say!!! Lots of other nice flavours out there to choose from too...

It's many years now since I gave up smoking (40 a day) and have never regretted it.
There's no greater investment for your health. So well done in making this decision - and good luck for your journey x

Hi,

I'm just about to do the same thing myself, was also wondering if giving up at the same time as dieting and trying to get some form of exercise routine started would be to much all at once, my OH has already measured up the shed just in case I turn into some kind of monster so he's somewhere to escape to. Good luck x

Thanks everyone :) I'm feeling okay about it at the moment, although that may change a few hours in tomorrow haha. I'm going cold turkey, not using any patches or anything. I must be mad!!!!

Hi,

I'm just about to do the same thing myself, was also wondering if giving up at the same time as dieting and trying to get some form of exercise routine started would be to much all at once, my OH has already measured up the shed just in case I turn into some kind of monster so he's somewhere to escape to. Good luck x

Wanna buddy up to support each other?

I did this, and I tried to take lots of nibbly things to work with me to keep my hands busy... carrot sticks, grapes, etc. but I also tried to fill up on pasta's and 'stodgy' foods so I didn't end up hungry. I will admit I used an e-cig when I first decided to give up, and now I only really use it when I have a night out, which isn't very often at all!!
As for the chewing gum - you can have 5 pieces of Wrigleys's Extra for 1/2 a syn! I keep packets handy all the time and as long as I don't have over 5, count any of them as 1/2 syn :)

Good luck, I know it's not the easiest thing to do when you are trying to lose weight at the same time, but you will get there! :D

Well I've failed already. Only made it to 10.30am this morning before I was climbing the walls! This is going to prove a lot harder than I'd hoped. I'd even read Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking book last night, and felt really confident when I went to bed. But as time went on this morning I just crumbled into a weepy mess and ended up smoking. I'll try again another day, but today is obviously not my day!

You haven't failed - you just haven't succeeded THIS TIME, ok? You only fail when you stop trying! Maybe you could make it easier by cutting down to start with? I mean, if you knew you had to wait until 10.30am for your first cig (but you could "legally" have one then), then you could have another at 3pm then 6pm then bedtime or something, would that make it any easier do you think? Then you could stretch the times so you could do 11am, 4pm and bedtime or whatever - and so on until you're down to none. Just a thought. You can do this! Hugs...

You haven't failed - you just haven't succeeded THIS TIME, ok? You only fail when you stop trying! Maybe you could make it easier by cutting down to start with? I mean, if you knew you had to wait until 10.30am for your first cig (but you could "legally" have one then), then you could have another at 3pm then 6pm then bedtime or something, would that make it any easier do you think? Then you could stretch the times so you could do 11am, 4pm and bedtime or whatever - and so on until you're down to none. Just a thought. You can do this! Hugs...

Thank you; I am always really hard on myself when I can't do something. It sounds like a plan to cut down gradually to be honest. Will give that a go and see how it works out. Thanks for the support, means a lot

You're more than welcome - I know it's not easy, but eventually you'll find a strategy that works for you. Best of luck!

I "quit" last year - managed 5 months with lozenges, (free on all plans) before I had the odd one with a drink down the pub. Before I knew it I was smoking, but only when I was drinking, which somehow seemed ok, and continued for 7 months. Since 1st January I've been going cold turkey, plus doing dry January, plus being strict on SW after a disastrous Christmas. (Can you see my halo? :D) To be honest I find it easier having all or nothing, and as I'm really missing pizza and beer, I'm not that bothered about nicotine. But it's different things for different people.
If you work, try going for the whole work day without smoking, or as Swansong said, set times that get further apart. It really helped that I work 13 hour shifts, and I figured if I could make it through those 13 hours without smoking, then I might as well do the other 11.
You just need to find what works for you, and go easy on yourself. Nothing worth doing is easy!

I "quit" last year - managed 5 months with lozenges, (free on all plans) before I had the odd one with a drink down the pub. Before I knew it I was smoking, but only when I was drinking, which somehow seemed ok, and continued for 7 months. Since 1st January I've been going cold turkey, plus doing dry January, plus being strict on SW after a disastrous Christmas. (Can you see my halo? :D) To be honest I find it easier having all or nothing, and as I'm really missing pizza and beer, I'm not that bothered about nicotine. But it's different things for different people.
If you work, try going for the whole work day without smoking, or as Swansong said, set times that get further apart. It really helped that I work 13 hour shifts, and I figured if I could make it through those 13 hours without smoking, then I might as well do the other 11.
You just need to find what works for you, and go easy on yourself. Nothing worth doing is easy!

Loving that halo shining bright! Well done you!

I'm going to attempt it again soon, just not sure when... feeling rather delicate at the moment, mental health wise, so I'm trying not to add extra pressure to myself. I know I'll give up eventually, but it's just got to be when my head has caught up with my heart and is ready for it I guess. I'm disappointed that I've not been able to do it so far, but onwards and upwards and I'll get there!

Thanks for all the tips lovelies, I'll definitely use them!

Hey just wondered how you were getting on and if you had tried stopping again? Me and a friend decided today that we'll both stop on the Monday 2nd feb and put the money away that we would have spend on cigs for that month. If we make it smoke free for that month then we're going on a shopping trip :).

Will see how this goes especially with doing slimming world at the same time!

Hey just wondered how you were getting on and if you had tried stopping again? Me and a friend decided today that we'll both stop on the Monday 2nd feb and put the money away that we would have spend on cigs for that month. If we make it smoke free for that month then we're going on a shopping trip :).

Will see how this goes especially with doing slimming world at the same time!

Sorry only just seen this! I've not managed to quit just yet, but in time I will try again. I'm just not in the right frame of mind to do it right now :( good luck with your quit journey, how's it going?

Sorry only just seen this! I've not managed to quit just yet, but in time I will try again. I'm just not in the right frame of mind to do it right now :( good luck with your quit journey, how's it going?

It starts on Monday....FML lol. I know what you mean about being in the right frame of mind for quitting....here's hoping I will be!

We were discussing this on Monday in group. I quit smoking 2 years ago, and it was so difficult, especially being on SW at the time and wanting to keep losing the weight! I was almost at target so still had a little more to lose. Me and my friend quit at the same time, and we'd both been wanting to quit for a while, but decided we couldn't do both SW and stop smoking at the same point, so we left it a while before we decided to quit smoking.
When I did stop, all I wanted to do was eat, so I tried to fill up on pasta and stodgy foods and tried to avoid reaching for the choclate and crisps... it took a while, but I eventually stopped wanting to eat everything in sight!

Back