Quorn mince

eejayess

Can I ask you good people your opinions on Quorn mince ? I had it a few years ago and didn't like the texture, but it was on the tv last night saying it had improved over the years and now it is hard to tell the difference from real meat when used in something like a chilli. Tesco have it on offer at the moment and wondered if it's worth a punt? Thanks.

I love quorn mince, I've tried Asda/morrisons etc own brand & IMO it's not as nice, if you're going to give it a go it's worth spending the extra pennies & buying Quorn's own mince. Another thing quorn do which is nice is the quorn bites, forget the exact name, but they look like chicken nuggets, very yummy.

It's not as rubbery or artificial tasting as it used to be. You can still tell IMO but it's not a bad difference. Much like quorn sausages, they don't taste like "normal" sausages but in a good way. We actually prefer them despite being meat eaters!

In the past i haven't been crazy about it to be honest as I reckon you can definitely tell the difference even in chilli or curry, but I have to use it because I have a vegetarian daughter.
That said, I made a lasagne the other day with a Schwartz lasagne packet mix for a change. It had been recommended to me, and it was delicious! ... So maybe I'm coming round to liking it more. The mix was 5 syns for the whole pkt.
Quorn is definitely better to digest & feels lighter on your stomach.

I bought some of the frozen stuff on offer last month and have used it once, in a spag bol. It looks very nice but the texture is very soft and mushy, not inedible but not that nice either. As it was my first go at using it I decided to use it as a direct mince replacement so therefore probably cooked it for far too long. I was expecting it to have the same texture of that mince stuff you get in pot noodles with a bit of bite to it. Next time I'll do the sauce first and add it near the end to see if it makes much difference.

Anyone else know how to cook with it texture-wise?

I bought some of the frozen stuff on offer last month and have used it once, in a spag bol. It looks very nice but the texture is very soft and mushy, not inedible but not that nice either. As it was my first go at using it I decided to use it as a direct mince replacement so therefore probably cooked it for far too long. I was expecting it to have the same texture of that mince stuff you get in pot noodles with a bit of bite to it. Next time I'll do the sauce first and add it near the end to see if it makes much difference.

Anyone else know how to cook with it texture-wise?

Yes I always add it at the end or almost at the end because there's no need to cook it as long as meat. It needs to absorb the sauce & flavours of the meal because its tasteless otherwise, but that's all it needs to do (after thawing out of course)

I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago and really liked it, the only difference I noticed was that the texture was softer than normal mince.

Back