Quorn pieces - a word of warning

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by HellieCopter, 16 February 2009.

1. HellieCopter

HellieCopter Me vs Cake

Don't over-zap them in the microwave! The microwave at work is more powerful than I am used to and I have now got quorn pebbles instead of nice, soft pieces!

2. Mrs V

Mrs V Loves Life!

Doh! Oh dear! You wont be doing that again will you?!!!! Lol
    Mine sometimes explode in the microwave!! Lol
  3. HellieCopter

HellieCopter Me vs Cake

No I won't!

LOL...I might see if I can make mine explode, that could be amusing (if somewhat dangerous!!)
  4. mrsbroadside

mrsbroadside Well-Known Member

Apparentely the only way to cook them is to put them in sauce a few mins before you serve and then they are soft. I've microwaved them before too, awful!!
  5. Irene

Irene Well-Known Member

I microwave mine to defrost them if I am in a hurry.
  6. natalieh88

natalieh88 Well-Known Member

Haha! I've overcooked them in the microwave before - was not pleasant! lol I just heat them through in the frying pan now, then add sauce :)
  7. Polyanna

Polyanna Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what is quorn? Is it meat or a meat substitute, if so what is it made of.
  8. Humph

Humph Well-Known Member

It's made from mycoproteins, which is fungus. It comes in various meat-substitute like forms like 'chicken' strips or mince. I really like it, but my OH can always tell when I've used it instead of the real thing so there is a difference in taste, but I think it's quite bland at times so it's up to you how well you flavour it. I find, unlike tofu, it has a lot nicer texture.