Race for life - opinions please

pesty

Fighting the bulge
Hello,

As many of you will know i've had many run ins with cancer recently.

My mum had cancer of the womb, my dad has throat cancer, but has had surgery and is thankfully on the mend and i found out saturday that my grandma (who suffered from skin cancer just over a year ago) has cancer of the eye which has been diaognosed inoperable as it is heading to her brain.

There are also my grandad and great aunt who have died of cancer.

I have many reasons for taking part in the race for life in the hope that i can make a difference to my future family so that they dont have to circum to the same fate.

The trouble is that the event is taking place on the 4th July which is 1 week and 5 days away. I will have to do it alone as no one wants to do it with me. Im wondering if it's too late. I know it is possible to sign up still but not sure if theres enough time to get into shape or do some fund raising.

What do you all think?? xx

Hi hun, in my opinion whether you come in first or last this is a great event to raise much needed funds for such an evil disease - I'm so sorry that the people closest to you have been struck with it - if there are still palces sign up for it and get fundraising, Facebook is a great way to get to lots of peeps you know! If you do decide to go for it this year don't worry about how long it takes you and doing it on your own is not a problem, there are so many fabulous peeps doing it and supporting it the atmosphere is fab! Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Thanks for your opinion Devon Dumpling, i have just investigated a bit more and realised i will have to wait until friday to enter as theres a fee.

I dont really know whats holding me back, i guess because i feel so unfit - but you are right even if i come last the difference i could make would be worth a small bit of embarresment. I know my grandma will be really proud if i do it xx

hi sorry to hear about ur losses ,ive also had a recent loss my 19 year old son passed away 6 months ago form ewings sarcoma ( bone cancer) ,so i decided to do the shine which was in manchester ,i really didnt do any exercise but i managed to do the 13 mile half marathon ,it was hard work but i did it .

so really do ur best !! and dont worry !!

jet xx

Go for it! You don't even have to run it. Loads of people just walk the route and I'm sure you could manage that. Think how proud you're family would be as you cross the finishing line and get your medal!

I decided to enter the Race for Life at Basildon on 6th June, my first ever, paid the fee, then found a free place on the first event at the o2 on 1st may (1 week beforehand) so entered that instead. I was the same as you, a bit apprehensive and nobody to go with me, but i bit the bullet and im so glad i did! The atmosphere was amazing, and i even found someone to buddy up with as i walked the course in under an hour. I enjoyed myself so much, Ive entered the addidas 5k in september and i definately intend to do race for life again next year. And dont worry whether you will get lots of sponsorship, I only managed £20(!) but every little helps as they say.

Go for it, you wont regret it! (Well, apart from the aching legs!)

Sue xx

I do mine on Sunday - i cant wait as its my first one and everyone has been really generous with donations! Go for it Pesty, i am sure you wont be the only one who is doing it on your own - and you can get sponsors online AFTER the date you run too - so im sure you can get a few on your form!

Good luck xxx

hi sorry to hear about ur losses ,ive also had a recent loss my 19 year old son passed away 6 months ago form ewings sarcoma ( bone cancer) ,so i decided to do the shine which was in manchester ,i really didnt do any exercise but i managed to do the 13 mile half marathon ,it was hard work but i did it .

so really do ur best !! and dont worry !!
jet xx

So sorry to hear about your loss hun. Cancer is pure EVIL my friend suffered from throat cancer at the age of 13 and my other friend when we were in college. Its horrible how it effects people of all ages, especially when there is nothing you can do.

Thank you all so much for your support, im definitly going to enter. Even if i do it alone and even with no training the thought of what my family has gone through and all of you supporting me on
here will be like me fighting back.

If anyone else reads this and has taken part in race for life or similar then please post, its nice to hear all your experiences

xx

If you can walk it then I would say do it.

Several of my family members have been seriously affected by cancer, and my best mate has had leukemia twice (after five years without you are classed as clean).
It is a great cause especially in this time that nobody has any money (or so it seems), as most research nowadays requires sponsors to pay the majority of costs, and in this time of cost cutting this is more difficult to come by.

I'm sponsoring my brother and sister for a "dry" July (no alcohol) to raise money for cancer charities.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your loss hun. Cancer is pure EVIL my friend suffered from throat cancer at the age of 13 and my other friend when we were in college. Its horrible how it effects people of all ages, especially when there is nothing you can do.

xx

Cancer know no respect. Not for age, sex or race. It is totally undiscriminating. I myself have had it. I run a support web site for ladies with breast cancer and the loss of each member who has lost the battle hurts. The youngsters are the ones that hurt the most.

Jet 1968, my heart is with you. To lose a child is just so wrong.

Any way back on topic.

Be proud of yourself for entering something so worthwhile. You know your limits, act accordingly. If you need to walk, walk. You might start the race on your own but I am sure you will not finish it on your own. The people taking part in the race must be o.k. people or they would not be there and there are bound to be others like yourself who are not ready to "race".

You go.......enjoy it. Do it for all those special people you have lost and the special people everyone else is supporting.

You can do it !!!

I do mine on Sunday - i cant wait as its my first one and everyone has been really generous with donations! Go for it Pesty, i am sure you wont be the only one who is doing it on your own - and you can get sponsors online AFTER the date you run too - so im sure you can get a few on your form!

Good luck xxx

Thanks Elle I didnt know that! I have text my friend this morning and asked if she would like to do it with me as she is a very close family friend and all of this has effected her so much too so i may not be doing it alone after all. Even if i raise £10 its better than nothing and better than me doing nothing about it.

Thanks again for all your comments, im really feeling like its the right thing to do now xx

It's never too late to do it, and your joining fee also goes to Cancer Research. This is my second year doing it, and I'll be walking it again. Our little trio has now grown to 5. Don't worry about doing it on your own, people do, and everyone is so so friendly. As somone has pointed out, FB is very good for getting sponsors. Put it in your status (if you are on FB) every day till you do it and after too, cos you can still collect sponsors after as well.

Last year, I "raced" in memory of my granddad, who died of lung cancer almost 10 years ago, to celebrate friends who have had it and beaten it and for mine and my kids futures. This year, I'm doing it for my Auntie. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and cancer of the lymph noids in January. The breast was removed and she is now successfully having treatment. She is the bravest woman I know and only 7 years older than me, so it scares the life out of me! It is a very emotional day, but the feeling of having achieved something after is amazing! And every little bit raised helps!

It's never too late to do it, and your joining fee also goes to Cancer Research. This is my second year doing it, and I'll be walking it again. Our little trio has now grown to 5. Don't worry about doing it on your own, people do, and everyone is so so friendly. As somone has pointed out, FB is very good for getting sponsors. Put it in your status (if you are on FB) every day till you do it and after too, cos you can still collect sponsors after as well.

Last year, I "raced" in memory of my granddad, who died of lung cancer almost 10 years ago, to celebrate friends who have had it and beaten it and for mine and my kids futures. This year, I'm doing it for my Auntie. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and cancer of the lymph noids in January. The breast was removed and she is now successfully having treatment. She is the bravest woman I know and only 7 years older than me, so it scares the life out of me! It is a very emotional day, but the feeling of having achieved something after is amazing! And every little bit raised helps!

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunatly i dont have facebook - but my sister does. I have asked her to do it with my but im awaiting a response from her. If she doesnt join in i will definitly get her to put it on hers so that i can get some sponsers - she's friends with most of my friends so they can get a pester too!!

Really glad that your aunt is on the mend, its such a relief when you hear that the treatment was successful, i cried when my dad told me he was going to be okay. It was like someone had just take 50 bricks off my shoulders! xx

If your sister does it with you, you could do a combined online sponsor form too? It's very easy to set up, and secure for those who are sponsoring you.

I can totally imagine how you felt when your dad told you. I think my Auntie has her last lot of chemo on Friday, and then starts radiotherapy.

I didnt know that either!! That would make my sister feel better as she is on maternity leave (had my nephew in Nov last year) and now lives 90 miles away so i can do Chelmsford and she can do face book and we'll make something good!! xx

sorry for not replying sooner !!

pesty do ur best hunny and again dont worry !

but thank you all for ur words of condolences !!

i know im not the only one who has suffered a loss r has suffered fron cancer !!

my heart goes out to everbody !

thanks girls (((((HUGS))))) xx

Sorry for the delay i have been setting up my page. My sister isnt doing it so im going it alone, i have added it below if anyone would like to sponser me, but please dont feel like you need to, i just wanted to see what you all think of the page. I need to add a picture really but i dont have one yet!

My sister lives in Kent and im in chelmsford so about 90 miles away!!! She's coming over this weekend though so i'll get to see them all

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/jessicabelfieldwaters

Back