Rant: British Gas(h) - Now updated

Sarah-Jayne

Gold Member
Rar! I am so annoyed with British Gas! I got my monthly statement through showing that I was in just over £180 of credit. So I called them and asked for it to be credited into my bank account. But oh no, they wont do it! Not unless I cancell my current DD and re-open another DD but paying an extra £10 a month that what I was before! Thats outragous in my opinion!! They won't give me my money back!! How can that be fair, after all, i'm the one over paying them!

Just written an email of complaint. Not impressed!!

Anyone else had issues like this? And does anyone know any other good electric suppliers!?

Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent!

x

Argh utility companies SUCK!

I worked for a company that was called TXU Energi when I was in my summer hols at uni and unless laws have changed - they CANNOT refuse to give you money back. They don't like to as it sits in their accounts creaming interest. I cannot remember the regulation number or name, but if you look on the OFFGEM website you should find a list of your rights.

We went nuts at E-On recently because they wanted to up our monthly DD from a fiver (we own a second property that's empty so minimal usage) to a whopping £80!!! We asked why and they said it's based on usage 2 years ago (before I bought it). This is ludicrous! They people before me worked from home!!! We had no choice apparently, so we had to go from DD to bills. I was going to push harder but it's sold and hopefully off hands soon.

Argh indeed! xxx

P.S We have Scottish Power at the house and so far so good...fast to answer...UK based call centre and never been anything but useful. Now I said that they'll become monsters! LOL

Hey Sticky Wicky,

Seriously, these type of companies are a nightmare!! Im pulling my hair out thinking about it! Either way, they have 24 hours to get back to me before I unleash the rage on them! :D

When I got my British Gas bill last month I was £350 in credit by the time I rang up requesting the amount back into my account I had had another DD payment out so my credit balanve was £420, I said I only wanted to have the £350 back , so they had to stop my DD and restart it BUT they said because I didn't want the full amount back I would have to have the £350 back in a cheque that was over 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting gor the cheque!!!
I would have been better having all the money back and then pay an extra payment , so I agree British Gas suck !!! I am going to change my sister last year changed to E-on and so far no problems so I think I will give them my business!
Alison x

From what I understand they cannot keep hold of your money against your will, although the incentive for them doing so is very clear.

If I recall correctly, there is some cracking advice and a sample letter to use/send on Martin Lewis's site www.moneysavingexpert.com.

I don't remember who our gas and electricity are with, but every year or so I check on www.uswitch.com to see who is cheapest, and go to them!

Good luck :)

YAY! I win!

BG called me just now, they agreed to pay the full amount of credit back into my account directly AND lower my monthly DD payments as I was paying too much! Great start to a Saturday morning!

Have a lovely day everyone xx

That's good news Sarah! It'll certainly help with Xmas!

YAY! I win!

BG called me just now, they agreed to pay the full amount of credit back into my account directly AND lower my monthly DD payments as I was paying too much! Great start to a Saturday morning!

Have a lovely day everyone xx

Well done hun! xxx

Back