Reactions from others about your weight loss...

Rachella

Silver Member
I am nearly at target (when I say nearly I think I'm jinxing it somehow but touch wood I will get there and maintain!) and comments from friends have been mostly positive.

However as my journey has gone on I've noticed a few people saying mildly negative things like 'please dont lose anymore' or 'you look fine now, what's the point in plodding on to lose 2 more pounds?' which some may think are nice comments in a certain way but I think they're meaning something else by their comments if you see what I mean?

Also - this may sound odd - I am finding people at group arent so friendly towards me compared to when I was bigger, granted a lot of people are new but they seem a bit 'off' at times, nevertheless I just dont feel that welcome! Even had a lady ask me last week why I come because I look slim!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Apologies if there's been a similar thread like this before, tried to have a search through to see if there was anything recent about this.

Last edited:
Hi Hun, Yep I have experienced these things so you are not alone. I've had new members tell me I don't need to be there, I tell them that I really do and as they get to know me they see that I do struggle week in week out to maintain! However, now we have little "target member" badges in class it's a bit better as I don't get the "why are you here" comments!
I've had people tell me I don't need to lose any more and that I look gaunt at times (rubbish!)

With regards to plodding on for an extra 2lbs, here's a thought - at 10stone (my target) I feel fabulous. At 9.12 1/2 (my lowest ever) I feel on top of the world but at 10.3 I feel like an elephant - all bloated and flabby. Three pounds makes a massive difference to me. It never did when I was bigger but it sure as heck does now.

Only you know deep down hun but just wanted to say that I know how you feel!

First of all congratulations on your fantastic weight loss.
I also experienced negative comments when I lost weight before. I overheard a couple of new members asking each other 'what is she doing here?' And kept staring at me which I thought was very rude. They had egg on their faces when they went round the class and the consultant congratulated me on staying at target after losing 5 stone. I think some people are jealous of our successes and it makes them feel better to be negative.

I suppose that unless you have a target members badge, or that people understand about target members, it can seem a little strange.

After all, you go to group, with quite often a lot of weight to lose. You're nervous enough at just going to group and are scared that you are going to be the biggest one there. Then you see someone who looks fabulous and you think 'Great. A diet that only works if you've only got a little to lose! I must be the biggest one here! It'll never work for me!! Where's the door??!??'

By the way....CONGRATULATIONS to all those who are either ON or NEARLY at target!!!!!!!

Back