Really need help and good ideas

Alia

Silver Member
I want to get my whole family involved in the SW plan, my daughter is doing it too, she's 17 and needs to lose about 3 stone but really not having any success, she does n't count everything and then think she's had nothing - she had a sausage casserole at her boyfriends house and came home and was eating a meringue and I asked her how many syns she had had and she said none :S My second youngest son could really do with dropping a stone or so but the rest are all ok except my eldest son who due to a 'condition' is about 3 stone underweight. He's nearly 15 and only weighs 6 stone. Problem I have is I want to cook one meal for everyone, something free for me or very low in syns but that the kids will eat cause they are very fussy but also need ideas to add extra things to the main meal in an attempt to 'fatten' my son up.

So I'm asking for help here with people to give me meal ideas that I can cook to try to fit it into what every body needs, not an easy task with 6 children but I'm struggling so badly with meals and tired of having to cook things left right and centre to fit things in for everyone.

Oh and just one more thing, my kids are really fussy :jelous:

I would say carry on cooking SW friendly meals, so that covers the most of you. Things like chilli, spag bol, shepherds pie, curry etc and add additional things for you sons portion, like extra cheese etc. You could also perhaps try and get him to have extra snacks throughout meals, so it isnt impacting the rest of the family if he is having extra at meal times, if that makes sense.

Is a really hard one. I hope you find a solution.

I cooked some curry yesterday and when I made it for myself I didn't put any oil in and just separated a bit for me, and then put some oil in for the rest of the family to have. You may consider doing something similar?

I was hoping for some recipes, need to have a good think about how to include us all but my mind is showing a total blank right now :sigh:

Have you looked under the recipe section? You could do a search, for eg if you all eat chicken search for chicken receipes.

If you are going to class you could search the SW receipe section or buy the SW mag, there are always lots of ideas in there.

Or search www.bbc.co.uk/food again using foods you would all eat & make them SW friendly.

Or take a look at peoples food diaries.

It's hard to give receipes without knowing what you all 'like' to eat.

What about SW chips with homemade burgers & beans/veggies. Or SW chips with eggs, SW sausages & beans. Or if your daughter had sausage casserole at her boyfriends you could make a SW friendly one.

Well that's all my brainstorming for now.

Good luck:D

This sounds like my world! My hubby is tall & slim & can eat anything. No. 1 son is about half a stone overweight so nothing to worry about, no. 2 son is around 3 stone overweight & doing SW with me. Two daughters are tall & thin.

Sausage & mash - low fat sausages for those on SW, normal sausages for the rest.

Fish & chips - fish baked or fried, SW chips for the SWers, proper or oven chips for the others

Quiche

To be honest I try to do the same meal for all of us but at times I feel like I'm running a cafe - hubby doesn't like pasta or jacket potatoes, ds2 & dd1 don't like fish, dd1 & hubby don't like spag bol. Nightmare trying to feed them the same meals!

I think the best thing you can do Alia, is to cook SW friendly stuff, for everyone, and bulk your sons out. What is best for you right now, is not necessarily going to be well recieved by anyone else, and I know at that age when my mum made comments about my weight it only served to make me eat MORE out of spite.

You have chosen to follow SW, and there is no reason that the family cant either, but if they dont want to and feel like you are enforcing it, then it is likely they will eat when out of your sight.

Unless your daughter has said "I love what SW is doing for you Mum and I want you to help me follow it", I wouldnt be hassling her about how many syns she has had, just ensure that what is available to her is SW friendly and the rest will either follow, or it wont, but you cant MAKE it, and you could potentially make things worse, by being on her back about food.

Some good meal ideas up there Alia. My hubby and I both follow SW and my daughter, although not at all overweight, knows the benefits of healthy eating and restricts her own cheese/treat/fat intake well.

We eat pretty much the same thing - a big fave in our house is jacket potatoes with cottage cheese, cheese, corned beef (synned), beans and salad and everyone helps themselves. Your son could have extra cheese and corned beef maybe and perhaps a bigger potato?
Pasta with home made tomato sauce is great - I do onion, pepper, carrot, garlic and basil with tinned toms and whizz it for my daughter (she then gets veg!), served with a ton of pasta. Again your son could have more cheese on top than a HEX serving.
Roast dinners are great! Or like last night, I had a salmon fillet, hubby and daughter had a chicken breast, we had carrots and broccoli, she had carrots and we all had new potaotes. Different meals but easy to do.

Eggs chips and beans or mushy peas is fab. Son could have bread and butter to make a butty?

Other than that, home made burgers, sausage casserole (not low fat for son), chicken casserole, risotto - the list is endless. I would recommend the Family Feasts for a fiver book from class. It's great and you could double the quantities.

As for you daughter, does she want to lose weight? I would have thought at 17 she would be quite figure conscious, at 12 my daughter is already! Does she go to group with you? Perhaps it's a suggestion if she doesn't, it may make her more aware of what she is eating.

The best you can do is control the main meals and not have the snacks in the house, she can't eat them then!

Good luck Alia. x

What are the family favourites your lot enjoys - making SW versions of those foods could be a good way of getting your kids to understand they can still have what they want, just through making healthy choices.

The good thing with SW is that it really is just a healthy balanced diet, so should be equally good for your underweight son as for those that need to shed a few pounds - In theory, everyone should stabilise at a normal weight!

Some good meal ideas up there Alia. My hubby and I both follow SW and my daughter, although not at all overweight, knows the benefits of healthy eating and restricts her own cheese/treat/fat intake well.

We eat pretty much the same thing - a big fave in our house is jacket potatoes with cottage cheese, cheese, corned beef (synned), beans and salad and everyone helps themselves. Your son could have extra cheese and corned beef maybe and perhaps a bigger potato?
Pasta with home made tomato sauce is great - I do onion, pepper, carrot, garlic and basil with tinned toms and whizz it for my daughter (she then gets veg!), served with a ton of pasta. Again your son could have more cheese on top than a HEX serving.
Roast dinners are great! Or like last night, I had a salmon fillet, hubby and daughter had a chicken breast, we had carrots and broccoli, she had carrots and we all had new potaotes. Different meals but easy to do.

Eggs chips and beans or mushy peas is fab. Son could have bread and butter to make a butty?

Other than that, home made burgers, sausage casserole (not low fat for son), chicken casserole, risotto - the list is endless. I would recommend the Family Feasts for a fiver book from class. It's great and you could double the quantities.

As for you daughter, does she want to lose weight? I would have thought at 17 she would be quite figure conscious, at 12 my daughter is already! Does she go to group with you? Perhaps it's a suggestion if she doesn't, it may make her more aware of what she is eating.

The best you can do is control the main meals and not have the snacks in the house, she can't eat them then!

Good luck Alia. x

My daughter attend the same SW group as I do, I think in about 6 weeks she's 2lb down - She's desperate to lose weight but its just not clicking with her which is a bit frustrating.

Thanks every one for the ideas, think I've got a few things there that we can try, I'll let you all know how we get on, think it will be Jacket Potatos on the menu for tonight xxx

I'm going to start making smash pizza's with my boys, if I make the bases before they won't know it's not normal. My eldest wouldn't eat it if he knew. Sneaky.;) They can then pile it with whatever they want while I'll stick to just veg and a little cheese. It's only 4 of us though so easy in the oven. Not sure about the 8 you'd need but perhaps you could make a couple of big ones, extra cheese on one with meat etc for those who don't need to lose weight and your daughter could share the other with you.

In my house my youngest and I eat the same stuff while my husband and eldest eat rubbish. I don't like it but my eldest is super fussy so will often get his dad to cook something he likes.:sigh: My youngest who needs to lose some weight loves all the SW stuff so it's great and it means his weight isn't the issue he can just enjoy his favourites. We have alot of spag bol/chilli/risotto/baked pots. Pasta salad is his favourite which is fab so he has that in his lunch box when I remember to make it! He also loves the mushy pea curry and any soup I might make.

Back