receipe for low fat chicken curry can you help

queenb

looking for a receipe for low fat chicken curry can you help please? sons & hubby love it...but want to see what is the lowest fat one :)
i want to make it from scratch so no jars!:eek:

Hi Queen. I have dug out my old WW recipes,but to be honest I have never tried the chicken curry, the ingrediants themselves are enought to put me off (broccoli andf cheese :eek: I ask you!)

However, hubby is the curry king and cooks all sorts of dishes. For a basic curry gravy (sauce) the ingrediants aren't that bad to be honest. I'd say just go for it. If you're having a curry then lets be honest, you're probably not going to be too worried about getting your cals spot on!! Have a look anyway, see what you think...

• 2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable ghee or oil
  • 50g garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 250g spanish or mild onions, chopped
  • 4 canned plum tomatoes, drained
  • 200ml water
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper (optional. we don't use)
Add just enough water to the masala to make a paste.

Heat the ghee/oil in a wok, then add the paste and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until the oil floats.

Add the garlic, and stir-fry for 1 minute, then lower the heat, add the onions and stir-fry until they have all become browned and caramelised (the 'tarka').

Add the tomatoes and water, then mulch the mixture down in a blender, or in the pan using a hand held blender, until you achieve a smooth puree.

Return to the pan if necessary, add the green pepper and continue to simmer on low heat, stirring from time to time, for around 10 mins until everything is well combined and cooked - the gravy should now be thick and dark.

To make into a 'chicken curry', throw in some chopped chicken (don't brown first, by cooking in the gravy the spices penetrate and keep the chicken moist as well as infusing with flavour!) and cook on the hob or in a casserole dish until the chicken is cooked through.

The oil/ghee is the only bad thing in there really. And it's fab! It suits a medium tastebud.

Will continue to look through our vast recipe collection for other low fat curry-like dishes!

Now these 2 WW recipes sound alright!

Potato and Spinach Curry

Points value per serving: 1.5
Servings: 4

• 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder, or paste, strengthen to your taste
  • 450g potatoes, peeled and cut into small bite-sizes pieces
  • 250g spinach
  • pinch of salt
Put the onion, garlic, curry powder/paste and 4 tablespoons water in a pan or flameproof casserole and bring to the boil.

Simmer, uncovered, until the onion is soft.

Add the potatoes and stir well to distribute the spicy sauce. A little more water can be added at this stage. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.

Add the spinach to the pan and cover. It will soon shrink down as it cooks.

Stir in the curry and add salt to taste.

Chicken Chaat

Points value per serving: 2
Servings: 4​

• 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 10 sprays of low-fat cooking spray
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, ground
  • 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
  • 1/4 portion fresh green or red chillies, flaked
  • 3 medium chicken breasts, uncooked, skinless, cut into 2.5cm
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
On a board, use a round-bladed knife to crush the salt and garlic together until they form a pulp. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the garlic and fry for 3 minutes or until lightly browned.

Add the chicken and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes, until sealed and lightly coloured.

Sprinkle on the ground coriander, turmeric and chillies and stir-fry for a further 3-4 mins.

Remove from the heat and sprinkle on the lemon juice and fresh coriander.

It's not that dissimilar to yours actually. I fancied it when I took a look!

We have tons of recipes, we're really into cooking. But unfortunately most of them don't go hand in hand with a low-cal diet :break_diet:lol

Capirossi first one is very similar to how my mum makes it [we are indian] all i would add is ginger ,salt and tumeric, also swap the ghee to olive oil.

where we come from india, we dont have coconut milk/cream in curry which is usually what makes curry high cals, most cals are from the meat really. also you can use this paste for any curry, even veggies, just add water to cover the veg/meat and and simmer until the 'water' thickens.

so my mums instructions are

put some cuumin [sp] in a pan with oil and add onions.
fry until caramilied [will add a lovely sweet flavour.

add tinned tomatoes garlic and ginger, stir in masala powder, tumeric and salt, cook until the paste 'releases some oil'
then add chicken and keep stiring until chicken is white all over.

ensure enough water to just cover the chicken. leave to cook for half hour or untill ready, add replace with veggies if you want.
potatoes,carrots and peas is really nice, will have to cook longer but lovely.

Oooh yes Pree, I forgot the ginger!! I consulted hub when he got home and the first thing he said was "and ginger" doh! :doh: I was salivating typing that last night, so we have decided to knock one up Friday night as a treat. Mmmm, bowl of curry, roll on!! Very tempting to make naan (sp?) too but no, am going to be a good girl :angel09:

Back