Recipe challenge

Mummoth

Silver Member
I'm starting a challenge of trying at least two new recipes a week as the same old food is boring. I've dug my books out, magazines etc., made a list of what I want to try & done a shopping list for the first few.

Made a start yesterday & it was NOT a success! I made Slimmers Cheesy Mince from the red recipe book - there wasn't a picture of it so I didn't know what to expect.

The mince bit was fine, basically mince & onions cooked in a bit of stock, but the topping ....... you had to beat egg whites til they're stiff, then fold in the yolks & a tub of cottage cheese, then bake it in the oven. Well, it looked like lemon meringue pie, which put me off. And it tasted really odd, not really cheesy, just had this weird, soft meringue texture.

Won't be making that one again!

Oh dear. To be honest i hate anything with mince in but cheesy mince sounds SO wrong.

I love the idea of this challange!
Does it have to be something we have NEVER made before?

I've made two new recipes already this week & going for number 3 on Tuesday.

The first two are from peoples own receipes on here. I made Cowboy pie & it was soooo yummy, I made it with Sainsburys meatfree hotdog sausages. Yesterday I made Coronation Chicken with quorn & again that was so yummy.

Tuesday it will be Creamy Carbonara from a SW mag.

Oh dear. To be honest i hate anything with mince in but cheesy mince sounds SO wrong.

I love the idea of this challange!
Does it have to be something we have NEVER made before?

Ideally yes, although I guess you could take an old recipe & adapt it to be SW friendly :)

I love Coronation Chicken Michelle. Just searched for the recipe & am going to try that next week. Yum yum!

Decided i will try sweet and sour chicken this week but not sure on the other just yet. Whats everyone else going to try?

The ones I have on my list to try over the following weeks are:

Pork meatballs in roasted veg sauce (under a fiver book)

Spicey bean & sausage casserole (under a fiver book)

Three colour carbonara (under a fiver book)

Jacket potatoes with smokey bacon & tomato topping (under a fiver book)

Chinese special fried rice (under a fiver book)

Egg curry (old recipe that I'm adapting using the curry recipe from here)

Prawn cakes with noodle stir fry (p21 current magazine)

Paella (p59 current magazine)

Mushroom & bacon penne (p73 current mag)

Chicken wrapped in bacon in mushroom sauce (old recipe I'm adapting to be SW friendly)

Meatloaf (either from the under a fiver book or there's one in the red recipe book that uses hard boiled eggs in it).

Plus, having read replies above, I'm going to make cowboy pie & coronation chicken

The ones I have on my list to try over the following weeks are:

Pork meatballs in roasted veg sauce (under a fiver book)

Spicey bean & sausage casserole (under a fiver book)

With the pork meatballs I wouldnt put as much thyme as they suggest, I found it very overpoweringand not nice! The sauce was quite nice though.
My parents made the casserole and loved it! It was pretty spicythou but they love that kind of thing.

Thanks for the tips! It's good when someone else has made what you're planning so you can go by their experience.

I'm not keen on spicy things so good to know about the casserole. My boys will love it - they love spicy stuff!

For tea tonight I made a chicken curry in my slow cooker which I hadn't made before. Didn't use a recipe, just made it up as I went along! Made with:
Chunks of chicken breast
Chunks of Jersey Royal potatoes
Green beans
Red lentils
Tinned tomatoes
Onion
Garlic
Ginger
Spices - curry powder, cinnamon stick, chilli powder, turmeric, cardamon pods

It was really tasty but the chicken was a bit dry so will use skinless chicken thighs next time

I made minty lamb stew today, never made it before but it was a success!

Yesterday I made the egg curry. I used the mushy pea & tomato base for the curry. Very nice, except I think that sauce is a bit better for meaty curries. I need to try a more korma-type sauce for eggs.

Today I'm going to make the three colour carbonara.

Well, I did 2 recipes in one night yesterday, both from the Curry Lovers book - Chicken Jalfrezi and Onion Bajhi's. They were both fab, very chuffed with myself as I am not one for following recipes, lol. Even my 5 year old son ate them!

I love carbonara!! I cooked the egg a bit too much last time, so it was like scrambled egg, but yummy tasting all the same :)

My new recipe for this week was SW scotch eggs. It might sound a bit basic, but it was new for me :) I used Tesco light choices cumberland sausages and cous cous to coat them. Very nice indeed! Although I think it might have been better if I'd cooked the cous cous first.

xxx

With the pork meatballs I wouldnt put as much thyme as they suggest, I found it very overpoweringand not nice! The sauce was quite nice though.

I did the meatballs last week (I think I just used some dried mixed herbs not thyme) but I baked them in the oven before I put them in the sauce and drained off the excess fat before I plonked them into the sauce at the end. I generally do this with all meatball recipes that require you to cook them from raw in the final sauce, but it's personal preferance of course. :)

Back