Red day snacks?

Lisaberry

Silver Member
Disregarding anything sweet (cant eat sweet stuff to fill me up) is there anything else out there bar cooked chicken/ham or sw quiche?

I'm back to work after my maternity leave in a few weeks so cant have breakfast (no time before I leave, hate cereal and don't do bread) so really need some snacky things I can munch on at my desk.
Crudites and dip are fine now and then but aren't really that great!

Any suggestions??

Hi There! I quite like those little cans of mackerel in tomatoe sauce on a red day. I'm pretty sure most brands are free :)

What about crab sticks, also I know you said crudites and dip are fine now and then but I like liver pate, just boil chicken livers & onions together & when cooked just blitz, easy & very nice.

ps - although everyone in the office moans at me if I eat fish at my desk!! quorn bramley apple bangers (and possibly all quorn sausages) are free on a red day - maybe you could cook some the night before and eat them at your desk!? not everones cup of tea but I love them cold! x

hanks for the ideas, I'm lacking in inspiration at the mo!

For what it's worth I'm a firm believer in that if you eat enough at meal times then you won't feel the need to snack on anything more than a piece of fruit or a yoghurt.
SW are now saying to make superfree foods your first choice for snacks on EE and I think that for red and green this should be the same.

Eat more for your meals to fill you up for longer!

For what it's worth I'm a firm believer in that if you eat enough at meal times then you won't feel the need to snack on anything more than a piece of fruit or a yoghurt.
SW are now saying to make superfree foods your first choice for snacks on EE and I think that for red and green this should be the same.

Eat more for your meals to fill you up for longer!

Breakfast is going to be very difficult...its ok at home where I can have eggs and sausages but I cant do that at work.

Lunches will also be hard....the restaurants at work dont do any red day friendly stuff and I dont have access to a kettle or microwave or fridge.
I'm not keen on salad unless its with something hot so its very hard to fill yourself up especially as my lunch is around 12 and I wont get tea until around half 8. Do you have any tips for me? Its so difficult!

No microwave?? Eek! That's rubbish!
You see green or EE days would be easier as you could do pasta or rice or couscous salad. How about taking a flask filled with beef or chicken stew?
It's a tough one hun as I don't do red so much, mostly green/EE.
I'd go for a stew in a flask for something more filling then lots of fruit and yoghurt.

No microwave?? Eek! That's rubbish!
You see green or EE days would be easier as you could do pasta or rice or couscous salad. How about taking a flask filled with beef or chicken stew?
It's a tough one hun as I don't do red so much, mostly green/EE.
I'd go for a stew in a flask for something more filling then lots of fruit and yoghurt.
Its their attempt to make us buy their food! We even have to buy our teas and coffes at 45/70 pence a cup!!

Stew in a flask is a good idea, I wonder how hot it will be after 5 hours?

Green/ee would be easier but it just doesn't seem to work for me, I'd love to eat spuds and pasta but it seems to turn to concrete when I eat it!

If you pre warm the flask with boiling water and leave for 10 mins or so it makes hot things last a lot longer. It may not be piping hot after 5 hours but it won't be bad. You can get proper food flasks too to get the food in easier!

I didn't know you could get a food flask! I'll have to keep a look out!

I think Jaylou's suggestion of a food flask is a really good one. You can get ones both with a wide spout (not like a tea flask!) and that will keep food hot for many hours. Here's one ...

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/thermos!AMPERSANDreg-king-flask-food/F/keyword/food+flask/product/13591

If you had one, you could heat up food in the morning (freeze your leftovers, defrost overnight and then heat in the microwave at home) and pop it in the flask for lunch. Soups, stews, chilli, curries, chowder etc would all be great for a red day ...

Right, i'm off to look up some stew recipes........

Back