Refeeding worries

Yasmine

One last chance
Having only 11lbs left to go before I start eating again, refeeding has been on the brain for a long time now and I have to say that I am petrified.

I know it's very common for people to be scared when it comes to leaving 'the comfort zone' as I like to call it.

Being on LT I never had to worry because I knew what I was taking and how many calories are in the shakes. But now, I'm going to be eating again and I am so scared.

My main fears are gaining the weight back of course and developing an eating disorder like anorexia. I know that I have enough mind and will power to not allow myself to do certain things when it comes to it, but LT has had such an impact on the way I see food and weight issues, that I'm afriad that I might turn into a completely different person.

Being in my family, it makes it all the more harder. There is no way that my father will contribute to the health changes that I'm hoping to enforce and neither is my older sister.

Me and Nasreen are pretty much the only ones who are actually going to be the only ones in the family who are going to be eating healthily. Which means I have to do my shopping for two different kinds of lifestyles.

Maybe I'm overreacting, I don't know, but it's something I know is going to cause a bit of a problem, kind of like a conflict of some sort.

Because I know my dad is defintely going to complain about the amounts of food that I'm going to be eating because they are going to be so small. He's going to discourage me, tell me that I'm going to make myself ill, force me to eat when I don't want to and it's not something I'm going to be able to cope with. I need all the support I can get to encourage me and to tell me that I can do this without screwing up.

I'm fed up of LT and I can't wait to start eating again, but I am terrified.

If I was to even gain 1lb I can assure you I would obsess, freak out and end up doing something really stupid :(

All the technicality of the refeeding programme, all the measurements having to be taken, what if I do something wrong? :cry:

I've been thinking the same. My partner normally eats "healthy" food, which I would not normally touch, however since being on LT, it's never smelt so good. Can't wait to eat "real" food again.

I've been thinking the same. My partner normally eats "healthy" food, which I would not normally touch, however since being on LT, it's never smelt so good. Can't wait to eat "real" food again.
I know what you mean, but I'm also scared about not being to have the things that my parents and my older sis have. I'm gonna feel left out and deprived :(

I know I will probably have one of two sneaky snacks that I shouldn't when I come off, but I will soon remember that there is no way I'm going through this hell again of two shakes a day :)

Well done by the way on your weight loss.
Lost 2 1/2 stone myself in 4 weeks. 1 1/2 more stone to go!

Don't worry about making a mistake on refeed Yasmine, you won't.
It is really straightforward and clearly you are approaching it cautiously so you won't go wrong.
You do sound like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself though hun. If you start obsessing about putting on one pound you are going to end up with a really unhealthy relationship with food - which is what you have worked so hard on LT to overcome.
You don't have to eat tiny portions, just fill up on things like veg and salad, rather than starch and carbs.
I only did LT for a month and can't imagine being on it for as long as you have been but I think it is probably very common to feel apprehensive about eating again and undoing all of your hard work.
But you can do it!
You never know - you might even enjoy it :)
x

Oh Yasmin, I know exactly how you must be feeling. I am going to tell you what I am telling myself... that I and I alone am responsible for what I put in my mouth. If someone is trying to pressurise me into eating something I know is fattening/sugary etc. I'm just gonna smile and say, "Thank-you but I'm stuffed!" Maybe if you sat your Dad down and tried to explain how important it is to you to keep a healthy weight and therefore you and Nasreen needs to eat smaller, healthy meals. How have the rest of your family reacted to you losing all this weight? I'm hoping that they would be very supportive of you and maybe an Aunt or another adult can "fight" in your corner???? If you were my daughter, Yasmin, I would be so very, very proud of what you have achieved and would do everything I could to support you until such time you fly the nest and set up home for yourself. Try not to panic, I'm trying not to and I'm hoping that reading peoples successful re-feeding and maintenance programmes on here will help me believe I can KEEP the weight off.

Yas - if you follow the refeed programme to the letter you cant go wrong - thats what its there for chick :)

I have the same dilemma to honey - my house cupboards are full of junk food - the only healthy stuff that exists is some salad leaves in the fridge and stir fry stuff so i know im going to have to buy my own too and hope none of my family eats any of it!!

Just try not to obsess - i know thats easier said than done though aint it! You will get there and weight fluctuates all the time so dont stress out if you weigh 1lb heavier than the day before - just take each day as it comes and you will get there sweetie :)

Yasmine,

Your worries are normal. We all had an unhealthy attitude about food. It's what got us into this situation in the first place.

I think the advice of I'm stuffed is quite a good one.

One of the things I'm learning in refeeding is saying I've had enough. I've always been one to clear my plate so it's changing old habits.

I'd say the same as lt - just take it one day at a time. Don't worry if you're weight goes up a pound but maybe if you see it creeping up over a couple of weeks, then you get it back in check.

You've had an awful week with your sister being so ill. Perhaps you're just panicking with that.

Wishing you all the best.

I know I will probably have one of two sneaky snacks that I shouldn't when I come off, but I will soon remember that there is no way I'm going through this hell again of two shakes a day :)

Well done by the way on your weight loss.
Lost 2 1/2 stone myself in 4 weeks. 1 1/2 more stone to go!
I guess so, I've just kinda developed this sort of fear of food in a wierd way. I know it's stupid but I dunno. I want to stay on LT but then again I'm fed up!

Thanks for the compliment by the way. And well done to you on your weight loss, very fast that was. Good luck on your remaining stones :)

Don't worry about making a mistake on refeed Yasmine, you won't.
It is really straightforward and clearly you are approaching it cautiously so you won't go wrong.
You do sound like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself though hun. If you start obsessing about putting on one pound you are going to end up with a really unhealthy relationship with food - which is what you have worked so hard on LT to overcome.
You don't have to eat tiny portions, just fill up on things like veg and salad, rather than starch and carbs.
I only did LT for a month and can't imagine being on it for as long as you have been but I think it is probably very common to feel apprehensive about eating again and undoing all of your hard work.
But you can do it!
You never know - you might even enjoy it :)
x
Thanks.

I know, I tend to overeact and stress out very easily with things and it does make me feel ill. I'm just so scared of doing something very wrong like accidently using the wrong type of foods.

Your'e not stupid yasmine its quite normal to feel how you do I think most of us do. You will be leaving the comfort zone of TFR and it is daunting but it will be nice to eat again. You will always have this site to come to and that will inspire you to stay on track.xx:)

Oh Yasmin, I know exactly how you must be feeling. I am going to tell you what I am telling myself... that I and I alone am responsible for what I put in my mouth. If someone is trying to pressurise me into eating something I know is fattening/sugary etc. I'm just gonna smile and say, "Thank-you but I'm stuffed!" Maybe if you sat your Dad down and tried to explain how important it is to you to keep a healthy weight and therefore you and Nasreen needs to eat smaller, healthy meals. How have the rest of your family reacted to you losing all this weight? I'm hoping that they would be very supportive of you and maybe an Aunt or another adult can "fight" in your corner???? If you were my daughter, Yasmin, I would be so very, very proud of what you have achieved and would do everything I could to support you until such time you fly the nest and set up home for yourself. Try not to panic, I'm trying not to and I'm hoping that reading peoples successful re-feeding and maintenance programmes on here will help me believe I can KEEP the weight off.
Aww thank you very much. Some people are happy about my weight loss, but too many aren't. They're saying I looked better before, that I'm getting too skinny, you know, all the discouraging things that are said about losing weight, I'm hearing it everyday. Nasreen isn't though and hasn't even before her operation, but I guess it is because she really had so much weight to get rid of.

I do get complimented, by some friends and even my teachers, but they are also saying that I'm skinny, and to be honest, I find being called skinny insulting because I think skinny (no offense to people who are skinny, I speak very frankly so please pardon me) is horrible and unattractive. So I'm getting quite sick of it. It was kinda flattering at first, because I knew people were noticing my weight loss.

But yeah, I read the refeeding sheet and I read the section about maintaining your weight, and it says that I have to keep taking the maintenance products to make sure my weight is stable. So I have to keep taking it for the rest of my life!? It's making me feel like I have to be on a diet forever!

And I don't know why but, I know this is going to sound really stupid, but deep down, I still feel like a fat person, not entirely physically, but emotionally and mentally, I still feel kinda fat :(

Yas - if you follow the refeed programme to the letter you cant go wrong - thats what its there for chick :)

I have the same dilemma to honey - my house cupboards are full of junk food - the only healthy stuff that exists is some salad leaves in the fridge and stir fry stuff so i know im going to have to buy my own too and hope none of my family eats any of it!!

Just try not to obsess - i know thats easier said than done though aint it! You will get there and weight fluctuates all the time so dont stress out if you weigh 1lb heavier than the day before - just take each day as it comes and you will get there sweetie :)
Thanks, I'll try.

Argh and I totally get what you mean with all the junk food in the house. Jeez you think that the one thing our families could do to support us is to at least make a few sacrifices for us for some sort of support?

Yasmine,

Your worries are normal. We all had an unhealthy attitude about food. It's what got us into this situation in the first place.

I think the advice of I'm stuffed is quite a good one.

One of the things I'm learning in refeeding is saying I've had enough. I've always been one to clear my plate so it's changing old habits.

I'd say the same as lt - just take it one day at a time. Don't worry if you're weight goes up a pound but maybe if you see it creeping up over a couple of weeks, then you get it back in check.

You've had an awful week with your sister being so ill. Perhaps you're just panicking with that.

Wishing you all the best.
Thank you.

I'm going to teach myself to listen to my body if you will. I guess that will help with eating smaller portions.

I've been tryign to help my sister with her refeeding. But it's hard with breakfast as she isn't allowed any of the LT formulas or foods. Some of the worrying has gotten there because of the way I have to prepare her food, because we have to get her strength up and forget about weight loss, but I'm worrying about her Glycogen levels going up too fast and then piling the weight back on.

It's really frightening.

Your'e not stupid yasmine its quite normal to feel how you do I think most of us do. You will be leaving the comfort zone of TFR and it is daunting but it will be nice to eat again. You will always have this site to come to and that will inspire you to stay on track.xx:)
Oh I really hope so. I tend to feel guilty after I eat :(

I hope it's as good as you say.

hi Yas, i can understand your feelings. i dont think you will need to diet for the rest of your life. You will need to change old habits for new for the rest of your life. im sure once you get going with the maintanace you will learn even more about food and your relationship with it. Of course you will be able to have treats and 'naughty' things at times but you will learn how to balance that. As for still feeling like a fat person inside, well my Lipotrim sheet says that we are still fat people even though we dont look it. Just like a drug addict, we will always have to live with our 'food addiction' and keep ourselves in check. dont think of it as being on a diet forever. just a swap of bad habits for good ones. You really will be ok. It is just another adjustment, same as when you started LT (wasnt that a bit scary too?) I know you can do it hun. Big hugs ((((((())))))))):D

hi Yas, i can understand your feelings. i dont think you will need to diet for the rest of your life. You will need to change old habits for new for the rest of your life. im sure once you get going with the maintanace you will learn even more about food and your relationship with it. Of course you will be able to have treats and 'naughty' things at times but you will learn how to balance that. As for still feeling like a fat person inside, well my Lipotrim sheet says that we are still fat people even though we dont look it. Just like a drug addict, we will always have to live with our 'food addiction' and keep ourselves in check. dont think of it as being on a diet forever. just a swap of bad habits for good ones. You really will be ok. It is just another adjustment, same as when you started LT (wasnt that a bit scary too?) I know you can do it hun. Big hugs ((((((())))))))):D

I'm defintely going to change my habits, I just have a feeling something bad is going to happen. I worry too much sometimes.

Back