Referred to gym, but so nervous

Caramelle

Hello everyone,

I really need some advice from you guys.

I've got a referral literally here in hand for a 3 month exercise membership. My doc gave me this as I'm suffering from a nasty neck injury and in the attempt of encouraging my physical recovery, and also relieve me of some of these god awful painkillers (which helped me put on this weight in the first place!).

Now I know I should be really pleased and really excited and absolutely rearing to go and stuff, but honest to god I feel so incredibly nervous. The local gym in our little town is basically a sporting college's facilities made available to the public. As you can imagine loads of ultra skinny teenagers hang out there. And I just don't know what to do. I know the gym would do wonders for my neck and my weight loss, but I just don't know! I'm extremely unfit, overweight, far from a teenager, and I just don't know. I really want to do it, but at the same time kinda not, do you know what I mean? I really need some encouragement now I think, and someone to tell me it's going to be all right lol! I know a lot of you have fantastic things to say about having joined a gym!

Lots of love, Caramelle X X X

You're going to the gym for you not them :) Get an mp3 player and go for it, will be the best thing you do and 3 months will fly by! As soon as you get into that habit of going there wont be any stopping you! :D

i would go - plus on a referral isnt it free? thats like saving £150!!!!!

plus who has time to look at others in the gym - it about working out - not looking at others, so try to think positive. Plus until you go you wont know who goes and at what time - give it a go :) xxx

Please please please go!!! I love the gym! And you literally ignore everyone else there anyway! Especially the little teenagers! They have got it all to come! So GO GO GO!!!! You will not regret it! And as Shabba said, youll get the bug!! :D

Believe me, some spotty teenagers are nothing compared to the Marines in my gym working out at all hours! I understand how intimidating it can be but believe me, they dont care who you are and what you are doing.

lol how lovely you are. I've got my WI tonight but I might see if I can work up the courage to go tomorrow then. I was considering looking into gyms further afield, but then it would require a lot more effort to go. The local gym is only a 10 minute walk from where I live. Will keep you all posted!

How did you guys feel when you first started going? And how did you overcome your nerves then?

X X X

I was very nervous, but I equipped myself with an mp3 and headphones, wore baggy jogging bottoms and a rather large t-shirt, so that I felt comfortable and I took things slow. For example you could do 5 mins on each piece of equipment so that youre not exhausted immediately? Or you can simply walk on the treadmill at a slight incline. Building things up gradually is definately the way to go! The main thing is to leave the gym looking forward to your next workout, so dont overload yourself or you wont want to go back!

Two years ago, I was the overweight middle-aged woman in the gym populated by buff university students. Now, I'm the woman who kicks @$$ on the elliptical 3 mornings a week. I'm so much a part of the gang that I never have a hard time getting "my fave" machine.

Load up your iPod with some power tunes, and get ready to sweat!! You'll become an endorphin junkie in no time.

I go to the gym 5 times a week and i really do look forward to it!! Honestly everyone who is in a gym is there for a purpose, even those skinny teenage boys who are prob there coz theyre feeling paranoid about their skinny muscles!!

Please use this opportunity and book in with a trainer to make u more confident in the gym and to prevent u from further injury to your neck!.. You are going to feel amazing and will become a gym bunny in no time!! Good luck Hun were all routing for you!! X

Thank you so much for your lovely support everyone!!! I am really going to think hard and plan for going in tomorrow! Thanks thanks to all!!! ((group hug!!))

Lots of love, Caramelle X X X

I am a bit late but can only reiterate what everyone else has said. Do go, you will end up liking it a lot and it will become a way of life for you.

As for the skinny teenagers, they are only interested in what they look like not what you look like.

there's a kind of unspoken etiquette at the gym where people don't really look at each other. It's just not done - and as Sue says young girls are too paranoid about themselves to worry about anyone else. The trainers are lovely as well as relly helpful.

Just don't be afraid to ask things if you need to.

Some of those teenagers might be just as nervous as you, but dare not let on! Be nice to them, and you might find them being nice to you.

If not, well that's their loss. You just go there and do your thing, and enjoy yourself!

I have to agree, it is kinda an unspoken etiquette that you just dont stare at others! everyone hates being looked at, whether your the big buff marine pumping massive weights, or the skinny teenage girl who doesnt want anyone to notice her because shes desperate to be skinny but doenst want anyone to think she has to work at it.. the skinny boys who dont want the girls to notice them.. or your the slightly older woman, with a bit of wieght to loose but the motivation to match them all.

i didnt catch the gym bug, but its so easy to just get your head down and just do it. so do it, its free.

x

Completely agree with Fern, everyone has a reason for being there.
Also, in my experience of using gyms at schools/colleges most want to go straight after school, so would it be feasible to wait a while and train later in the evening?

Also, as a side note, I really love the gym now. Its great 'me' time, I no longer bring even music because I find it a great time to think!

Back