remedy to avoid coldspots anyone?

Karen.hat

Silver Member
Hi guys
well for the second time this year i have cold spots/sores what ever you want to call them. First time was just a tiny one on my lip that was barely visable but yesterday the throbbing come and my mouth felt like someone had punched me in it all day, this morning ive woke with one on my bottom lip one just below my bottom lip and two tiny ones on my top lip. I know nothing will stop these ones.
i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on avoiding them in the first place i know stress is a factor but i could really do without the stress of a mouth like the elephant man all the time am at the stage where i'd try anything

doesn't zovirax ( or however you spell it ) work for you??

it's a virus isn't it??
try your doctors, see if they can perscribe anything..

that helps clear it up, but i want something to avoid breakouts completely i hate that spotty mouth look i tend to hide for a week if possible.

if you put it on when you feel the tingling it's supposed to stop them before they break out.. or is that another product ???

ive tried all that but once you get the tingling even if you put it on straight at the first tingle you still get a break out, ive tried those cold sore patches too all they do is cover them up to stop it spreading they do heal slightly quicker with patches but you have a clear plaster like thing on your face they reakon you can apply make up straight over it but its rubbish

I am currently taking L-lysine, a protien supplement in a pill which is supposed to help some people supress the cold sore 'germ'. If you google it there are lots of articles.You take one a day everyday and then up the dose if you geel one coming on. I bought mine from zip-vit. Can't tell you if it works yet, as only been taking for a few weeks, and the real test will be when I next get a cold as this is when I tend to get a cold sore, horrible things! I only started getting them about 4 years ago, and probably only get one a year, but this year it was dreadful, hung aroung for about 3 weeks in total and was so sore that I was willing to try anthing!

its worth a try ive been getting them most of my life and my teenage daughter gets them now too :( stupid question but would there be syns in the tablets? not that it would matter as i'd still take them but cut down other syn.
im going to google them and give them a go

I also take Lysine and it always prevents them for me, as soon as I stop taking them I always get 3-4 at a time :( ive had them since I was a child.

I also use Cymex, it's for the relief of cold sores and dry cracked lips. So I use it everyday on my lips keeps them nice and soft as well as preventing coldsores.:)

thanks guys sounds like its worth a try, do i have to buy it onlinbe or can i get it from holland and barrett?

ColJack said:
doesn't zovirax ( or however you spell it ) work for you??

it's a virus isn't it??
try your doctors, see if they can perscribe anything..

Once you have the virus (a type of herpes), you will always have it in your system, so will always be susceptable to breakouts. Nothing the doctor can do to get rid of it (boo!!).

Karen id say you can get it in holland and Barrett , I either get mine in sam mccauleys (I'm in Ireland) or health stores, it really works for me so give it a try

Jenny is so right. It is a form of Herpes and I have known others afflicted similarly. Once you have it you are prone to it from time to time.

It is not there all the time - my ex suffered from it and it got her down, a mate I car share with also gets them from time to time and he says docs can do little but treat it - but not prevent it.

Steve

I get prescribed oral aciclovir which is the drug in zovirax to prevent cold sores as I was getting about 4 at once and as soon as they cleared up another lot would appear! I dont think they like to do this if you just have the odd one or two though. I dont need to take them all the time now, just if I do get one or am tired/on hol which is what normally triggers mine.

I also have my "zapper" that I use if i do get a tingle

Herpotherm Cold Sore Prevention - ExpressChemist.co.uk - Buy Online

I get prescribed oral aciclovir which is the drug in zovirax to prevent cold sores as I was getting about 4 at once and as soon as they cleared up another lot would appear! I dont think they like to do this if you just have the odd one or two though. I dont need to take them all the time now, just if I do get one or am tired/on hol which is what normally triggers mine.

I also have my "zapper" that I use if i do get a tingle

Herpotherm Cold Sore Prevention - ExpressChemist.co.uk - Buy Online
i think i may have had these once are they tablet form and you take them for roughly 5 days? or at least thats what i had i went to doctors i had a really bad outbreak 10 days before i was due to be a godmother and my sister had hired a photographer as all the kids were getting christened at the same time.
i was so depresssed at looking so bad on the photos i broke down in the doctors, i felt like a right daft git when i got home i couldnt believe i'd cried.
Am off to holland and barrett tomorrow to try these lysine

I usually don't bother with any of the creams..I find that a squirt of perfume on ur finger then stickin ur finger on ur sore does a gd job plus it's 'free' :) mite need to do it a few times but all works out in the end!

I suffer badly from cold sores, and always have. I never get the tingling warning - I just wake up with mount vesuvius on my lip! I'm afraid I don't know any way of preventing them, but tea tree oil is very good at healing them up quickly. My cold sores used to take about 10 days to go, but I've now cut it down to about 3 days by dabbing on 100% tea tree oil. As long as you're careful not to get it in your mouth it's ok :) You can buy tea tree lip balm - maybe that might help to prevent them in the first place?

I've also heard that Vitamin C and lysine can help to precent future outbreaks :)

How to Treat Cold Sore With Tea Tree Oil | eHow.com

I also take Lysine and it always prevents them for me, as soon as I stop taking them I always get 3-4 at a time :( ive had them since I was a child.

I also use Cymex, it's for the relief of cold sores and dry cracked lips. So I use it everyday on my lips keeps them nice and soft as well as preventing coldsores.:)

Thanks for this, its good to know that it works - I'll keep taking mine!

I used to use liquorice balm which worked really well. I get the odd one if I'm on holiday but now use a sunblock on my lips and hey presto, not had one since last June......bet this means I get one now!! :)

I have found this a really interesting thread.

I suffer from a form of herpes that does appear on my lips but also comes on my face and last time, a few weeks ago, on my lip and in my ear.

The first time I had it it was a reaction to chemotherapy and it has stayed with me since.

If I am very stressed out, bingo, one or more pop up their ugly heads.

I will definitely take the advice given here.

Thank you everyone.

Back