Restarting tomorrow does slimming world work with PCOS and underactive thyroid??

kirsty_baird_26

Gold Member
Hey

Iv decided to bite the bullet and go back to my slimming world class tomorrow night as there is a new consultant (Didn't think the last one was good to be honest so i left).

Iv been to SW before and i can always lose around 7-9lbs then i can't shift anymore no matter how hard i try (I play around with the same 2-3lbs losing and gaining it) so as you can imagine its very disheartening and i end up leaving to try other things (Tried low carb and very low cal diets lately) however this time iv decided as its a new consultant maybe she will be better as the last one just said she didn't know why i wasn't losing despite giving her food diarys.

In January 2013 the doctor finally put me on thyroxine, iv been told i had a underactive thyroid since i was 16 (im 25 the now) and also PCOS. Previously all they did was give me dianette to help with the period problems and bad skin. Iv attended dieticians in the past and no-one can see why im not losing weight this was before i was given thyroxine. The doctor suggested since iv been put on thyroxine now to try a slimming class again so im coming back to class tomorrow and hope to lose, im feeling positive and good so hoping i can do it, im certainly not giving up. I want to lose around 2 stone - since January iv lost around 9lbs. Im so nervous about going back tomorrow so hoping its all ok.

Anyone any tips? Anyone with similar issues?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm hypothyroid and I've lost 1st 1lb in 4 weeks, so it can work. I tried slimming world last year before I was diagnosed and hardly lost anything, which made me give up. I've been taking thyroxine since end of October and last time I had my blood test 3 months ago they said I was on the correct dose. I still don't feel 100%, still get bad skin etc. But i've been feeling even better since I started slimming world. I don't feel depressed anymore either, which is great. I think seeing the weight loss and eating better is helping me loads.

Good luck :)

By the way, I've found it easier taking the tablets just before bed, waiting at least 2 hours after eating or drinking anything other than water. Means I can't snack at night, I finish work at 7pm so I'm eating my dinner late anyway.

Hi,

I'm hypothyroid and I've lost 1st 1lb in 4 weeks, so it can work. I tried slimming world last year before I was diagnosed and hardly lost anything, which made me give up. I've been taking thyroxine since end of October and last time I had my blood test 3 months ago they said I was on the correct dose. I still don't feel 100%, still get bad skin etc. But i've been feeling even better since I started slimming world. I don't feel depressed anymore either, which is great. I think seeing the weight loss and eating better is helping me loads.

Good luck :)

Thanks so much its encouraging to hear that you are managing to lose :) welldone!

It's definately nice to see a loss. It was so disheartening when I didn't lose weight when I tried last time, I was probably better at keeping to the plan then as well! Underactive thyroid affects so much. I felt depressed and generally not right for a couple of years. As soon as I got on the tablets, the depression went. Took a couple of months for other symptoms to go a bit. Wish I had gone to the doctors sooner. Was just embarressed about the depression though :(

I'm a hypothyroid-er too :)

I'm on Levothyroxine - I'm guessing it's the same thing that's been previously mentioned - and I got diagnosed in July last year. I'm going to be honest and admit that I do struggle with sticking to diets. My last time at SW class was so disheartening, it was unbelievable. I was literally struggling to lose even half a pound. My consultant seen my food diaries and was baffled. She had to consult the regional manager and it was agreed that I would be cutting out my B choice, as when I had my HxB, I always gained. So I cut out the B, did a few weeks of 777 and finally got some weight shifting!
Then I had financial trouble and had to stop going to class. Weight has just piled on since. Not through eating major stupidly, but I do think that not watching what I was eating as well as another personal matter (don't mind explaining via PM, but not on a public forum).

It's only been since I rescued a dog in January that I've noticed the weight shifting again. Since rescuing Dexter, without watching what I had been eating, I managed to lose 8lb. I got back in the saddle last week and followed SW and I amazingly dropped 5lb this week!

If any of you want to follow my diary, it is here :)

Just out of interest what dose of thyroxine are those with under active thyroid taking? I have hashimotos thyroiditis (my immune system is killing my thyroid gland) and take 150 mg.

Hi I am on 125 of levothroxyine. Been doing slimming world for a year and one week and have almost lost 3.5 stone had actually reached that target but put on over easter! It is doable but I do walk a lot as have a toddler and thst definitely boosts my losses.

Glad you liked it =) Good luck with your first week.

I got put straight onto 100mcg which I was told was a high starting dose. I haven't had my dose changed but I have my next blood test on weds so will see what they say.

Hi I also have under active thyroid and it's my 2 Nd day in SW ! Had a bit if a bad day yesterday but sm starting a fresh today ! Am hoping to lose 4 stone but under active thyroyed can slow down your matabalisem I've heard ? Hope I lose weight !

Hi! I have an extremely underactive thyroid. I was first diagnosed and mediacted age 16 (i'm 32 now!). I am on a very high dose of 300mg daily. Previously I have always struggled with shifting my weight always getting stuck at 7-10lbs. However I have been on sw for 10 weeks now and lost 1st 10lbs! And over 10% of starting weight! Best I've ever done! still a lot more to go but I know I can do it! Some advise on under active thyroid - always try to take medication at same time, and exercise really helps. Under active thyroid can affect metabolism, and exercise helps to boosts metabolism! Good luck with ur sw journey and with thyroid problems! Please keep me posted on ur progress I'd live to know how u get on.

Hi I have PCOS too. Symptom started two years ago, 2 1/2 stone piled on two years ago!! Go figure. Anyway I've lost 27lbs in just under 4 months, it can be done! I do struggle at the end if my cycle to lose weight, it slows right down and I'm blaming it on PCOS. I have 8 week long cycles so have only seen two cycles during my weight loss, both times my weight loss slowed down before my period started, and then weight loss went back to normal when it did start! I'm waiting to have more tests done to see if my tubes are blocked but I know I ovulate late or don't at all. It's very annoying! :(

I'm on 150mcg Thyroxine and am losing weight slowly but it's coming off- so you can do it, give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have PCOS and my Dr has just started me on Metformin which seems to be helping, Im 9 pounds down in 5 weeks which Im happy with.

Thats fantastic welldone :) hopefully i manage to lose too :) x

Hi! I have an extremely underactive thyroid. I was first diagnosed and mediacted age 16 (i'm 32 now!). I am on a very high dose of 300mg daily. Previously I have always struggled with shifting my weight always getting stuck at 7-10lbs. However I have been on sw for 10 weeks now and lost 1st 10lbs! And over 10% of starting weight! Best I've ever done! still a lot more to go but I know I can do it! Some advise on under active thyroid - always try to take medication at same time, and exercise really helps. Under active thyroid can affect metabolism, and exercise helps to boosts metabolism! Good luck with ur sw journey and with thyroid problems! Please keep me posted on ur progress I'd live to know how u get on.
Welldone your doing fantastic also :) hoping i can do the same im so motivated so hopefully i do! I try to take it each morning at around 8ish, i do exercise also most days i power walk around 45 minutes to and from work just over 20 each way, i do zumba each tuesday too and iv two border collies i need to walk so they keep me busy! I have a diary where im posting if you want to pop by :)x

Hi I have PCOS too. Symptom started two years ago, 2 1/2 stone piled on two years ago!! Go figure. Anyway I've lost 27lbs in just under 4 months, it can be done! I do struggle at the end if my cycle to lose weight, it slows right down and I'm blaming it on PCOS. I have 8 week long cycles so have only seen two cycles during my weight loss, both times my weight loss slowed down before my period started, and then weight loss went back to normal when it did start! I'm waiting to have more tests done to see if my tubes are blocked but I know I ovulate late or don't at all. It's very annoying! :(
Omg fantastic loses welldone thats amazing!! Hope you get on ok with your tests x

I'm on 150mcg Thyroxine and am losing weight slowly but it's coming off- so you can do it, give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I started back class on wednesday so i will post on my diary next wed how i get on hope for a loss :) x

Thanks everyone

Back