Right, i have a question.

jeffreysdriver

Ok. I know Innocent smoothies are mega high in syns (10 per 250ml, i'm sure) but...

If I eat a banana, i chew it to mush before I swallow it. Same with strawberries. How is it different?? Is it because we use energy to chew? i just don't understand!!

Ah, the things you think of at 11:30pm on a Saturday night...

just think how much fruit is used in a smoothie and how long it takes you to drink it, not very long.

now imagine sitting and physically eating every bit of that fruit in it's full form, you would probably be full before you had a chance to eat it all and as you mentioned you are using energy by chewing etc.

I'm sure someone can explain better than me, especially at this time of night but basically it's to do with bulk. Drinking fruit doesn't fill your stomach. If you were to eat the same amount of fruit that's in a smoothie you would be full for longer. If you're full then you aren't going to eat other things which can only be a good thing.

On an unrelated note they're also really expensive so don't do it! ;)

Q: Why are some fruits Free when raw, but have a Syn value when cooked, juiced or pureed?

A: While fruit in its natural form is bulky, filling and often time-consuming to eat, in cooked, pureed, liquidised or smoothie form it makes it very easy to over-consume and is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra energy (calories) in a non-bulky and non-filling way, which doesn’t satisfy your appetite in the same way as eating fresh whole/sliced fruit. Consider eating an orange. Peeling, breaking up the segments and eating just one orange can be a lengthy process. Now think about the juice that orange would produce – it contains a similar number of calories, yet it’s gone in a gulp – in fact it takes 8 oranges to make a small glass of orange juice and it’s not filling in the slightest! It’s all about getting the most (optimum) satisfaction from your foods with Food Optimising. We count juiced, pureed and cooked fruit as Syns to protect your weight losses.

Do you have to have one third of your plate filled with veg/fruit for every meal on EE. I am struggling a bit because I dont like salad or veg very much. Answers would be much appreciated thank you to everyone who kindly replies

Yes Hollys nan, it's an important part of the EE plan. If you can't eat that much veg perhaps you could try one of the other plans where the 1/3 rule isn't as important.:)

Thanks lovely laura, thats what I thought. I have been mixing it this week, started with EE as thats what the consultant seemed to be talking more about, but I have been having red and green towards the end of the week. It depends on the meals really, she did say I could have a bowl of homemade fresh soup before my meal to fill me up before I eat but I will soon get sick of that every day!!! I have a feeling I may well stick to the original and green days but really want to keep trying the EE for a bit longer. I love fruit though, thank you so much for your reply, this is such a great forum.

Its strange how eating soup apparently has the opposite effect though and is supposed to keep you full for longer (but I'm sure there is a very good reason too complicated for my little brain to understand ;) )

I think with veg you're still retaining and consuming the bulk, just in a different form, whereas with fruit it breaks down to a much smaller size.

Do you have to have one third of your plate filled with veg/fruit for every meal on EE. I am struggling a bit because I dont like salad or veg very much. Answers would be much appreciated thank you to everyone who kindly replies

I dont always have 1/3 of the plate full but i make sure i have enough in the recipe, I put mushrooms and onions in most things!!! If i dont have it on the plate i have a bowl of fruit after or as snacks!!!

More superfree i have the better the weight loss!!

Hope that helps!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have decided to do the red/green plans as they suit me better and my weight loss this week was 2 and 1/2 pounds so I am quite happy about that.

Back