Risotto ideas?

HellieCopter

Gold Member
I would like to make risotto for dinner tonight, but something other than the usual mushroom or butternut squash.

Something free on green, but I've got 1 HEa to use today yet...

Any ideas? What do you make?

*waits for inspiration*

:giggle:

Ooh - I'm a lover of the old mushroom risotto, but those ones from Circes sound rather yummy... I'm now planning my dinner for tomorrow night!

Thanks! x

Hi, I love risotto!
Leek and pea risotto is one of my faves. Just cook the leek (finely chopped) early on and then add peas with a few minutes left to go.
Pea and broad bean is yummy too, I buy frozen baby broad beans.
Grated courgette with lemon zest is a lovely fresh tasting risotto and I syn a tablespoon of marscapone to make it creamy if i'm feeling in the mood.
I also do roast butternut squash in the oven with different spices and then use that in risotto, it all "melts" down and is gorgeous. It's the only way OH will eat squash as he won't eat it diced up!

I have never tried risotto im not a big fan of rice but i may give it a go as those recipes look really nice.

Thanks all!!! I use bbcgoodfood quite a lot, don't know why I didn't think of looking there last night! Too lazy probably.
I did a lovely lemon risotto in the end, with rocket. It was lush. I like the sound of a baked risotto, never done one of those before.

Hello all.
Just wanted to thank you for the ideas. I made the bacon and roasted tomato one from the bbc site as posted by circe, and I have to say it was absolutely delicous! Will definitely be making it and more risotto again!
Thank you!

This is a risotto dish that I make quite often, got it from a SW recipe book years ago! It's all cooked in the microwave, but I imagine you could adapt it to cook on the stove.

Kidney Bean Risotto

Ingredients

2 oz long-grain rice
1 medium onion
1 pepper (red or green as you prefer, I sometimes use half of each to make it look prettier
embarass.gif
)
quarter tsp cumin
quarter tsp chilli powder (or too taste)
2 tsps tomato puree
stock cube ( i use beef but would work equally well with veggie I would imagine)
Half a tin kidney beans

Method

Add rice, cumin, chilli powder, 2 tsps tomato puree and half pint of stock to a microwave safe bowl, cover and microwave on high for 6 minutes.

Meanwhile chop onion finely and deseed and finely chop the peppers.

Remove rice bowl from microwave and leave to stand, while you microwave onion and peppers for 2 minutes - or you could fry them, but I always microwave them for this recipe, force of habit! my cooker wasn't working when I first made it!

Add the peppers/onion to the rice mixture and stir through, then drain and rinse the kidney beans and add them to the mixture, stirring in.

Return to the microwave for a further 4 minutes.

Dish up and sprinkle with grated cheese which will melt through it. I usually eat half and put the rest in the fridge for lunch the next day, when I just zap it for a couple of minutes to heat it through.

Back