Red Day Roast dinner S.O.S

McAsk

Hey!

Ive just started uni and have decided that i really fancy a roast dinner! however i have NEVER made one before!

I was going to have chicken as my meat and was wondering if anyone could tell me a completely freeish red day roast dinner, including lots of veggies as i was suprised to find that peas arent free on a red day! :eek:

Is there any special way to roast the chicken so its lovely and succulent? and could i just use a beef oxo cube for a syn free gravy?

What alternatives are there to potatoes that would be free on a red day as i would like to just make and eat, not weigh and worry!

Thanks!!

Laura xxxxxxxxxxx

Don't laugh but the best way to cook a whole chicken roasted is to.......

One beer can - empty of beer, half fill with herbs of your choice and water or wine (depends on preference) and place up the large hole of the chicken. Steams it from the inside whilst roasting on the outside and once the skin is removed it's very healthy and the whole chicken can be eaten. When it's ready it will look like a normal roast chicken but will fall stright off the bone.

Have you got the new mag? They have roasted cauliflower and brocolli in there which would go. Swede, carrotts, green beans (boiled, then tossed in a pan with garlic and fat free bacon)

Making me hungry now but hope that gives you some ideas. Quite fancy it myself now

Hmm...not sure that the chicken would be free if cooking it with beer, but I tend to turn my chicken over at least twice whilst cooking.
I tend to eat (on a red day) sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, butternut squash (roasted), swede and celeriac mash. You could also have broccoli too!

You don't use the beer just the can. I put water in mine with herbs and garlic

Now, I am feeling a little big peckish....

Back