Roast Potatoes

I've recently just done mine by cutting into chunks, spraying liberally with frylight and baking for ages. May try parboiling in chicken stock...bet that makes them taste yummy.

I've found a new cheat! - half/quarter in the usual way, leave skins on of course coat with fry light and mixed herbs and a touch of paprika.

Then into the Teflon Actifry:cool: - that's the cheating bit - no par boiling or re-spraying or turning lol

I always use Maris Piper potatoes (best potatoes for roasting in my humble opinion - you can keep your King Edwards!) and I cut them into quite small chunks, cover with salted boiling water and bring them up to the boil. I literally leave them for another 2 minutes once they're boiling (any more and they turn to mush!) and then drain and chuck on a baking tray. I spray them with olive oil frylight then roast on about 160C in a fan oven for about 1.25-1.5 hours, turning half way through and re-spraying with frylight. No fancy seasonings for me I'm afraid, I'm a purist at heart :) xxx

same as already stated above, but I use the steamer not a pan to "par boil" them first..

I score them across the top and use the "better than butter" frylite ( tesco are the only stockists according to the frylite people.. )..
I sometimes sprinkle with garlic granuals...

I love slicing sweet potatoes quite chunky and spraying with frylight and then a shake of seasoning - pepper - chilli seeds etc - slow roast for a while (no parboiling) as these go quite soft anyway - and then turn the over right up - with carrots and potatoes done the same way =- absolutely blooming gorgous.

I use the same par boil then smash about in the pan method as mentioned before, spray with Frylight, - but then I use one of these:

I got mine from Poundland (yes it cost me £1) - the mesh allows the air to circulate all the way round so it cooks slightly quicker and I think lets things get crispier all the way round. I use it for chips, roast potatoes/parsnips/squash, wedges and pretty much anything that you would put in the oven (so pizza for OH, breaded/chargrill chicken etc)

Bit of a pain to clean though, and probably wont last as long as a baking sheet, but at £1 I'm happy to buy a new one every few months

Just a quick update - did them in the Actifry without herbs etc. - As Dudette said, and I agree, Maris Piper seem to be the best all-rounder.

This time I wanted to taste them "on their own" the roasties were divine using a spoonful of extra virgin olive oil (HEXB) and tasted super. Crunchy outside, soft inside and no dripping or goose fat to worry about.

Syn-free roasties to die for;) Next time I'll roast both carrots and parsnips with the spuds.

I have found one of nigellas tricks work too if u cut potatoes on angle so u have a large flat edge its more surface area to crisp up, and double spray too makes them go lovely and crispy

After a gazillion attempts, I can finally make perfect SW roast potatoes! Hurrah! Just need to work on my chips and wedges :p

i love roasties :)

i have been making them the full fat way over the hols, but i think i might try using my actifry to make some over the weekend :)

I too find that if you put the chips in the mic instead of parboiling they crisp up better and are also quicker to brown. I do parboil my roasties and then i use the back of a teaspoon to smear chicken bovril over the tops of them and then spray with frylight and then put them in the oven until brown and crispy. I wouldnt go back to them plain again. Yummy

Also remeber if you wanted to you could use your hex for olive oil if you wanted as a nice way to have *roast*potatoes is to get some new potatoes(make sure there smallish), toss in your olive oil, dried basil and oregano, garlic, salt and pepper and bake in the oven(skins on by the way) very nice and doable with your HEX

My recipe for delish roasties is to par boil potatoes, put in a colander and shake a little, put in an oven proof dish and then pour chicken stock around them up to about 1/2 way, spray the tops with frylight and put in the oven at about 210 for about 45 mins.

Don't turn them, they will be lovely and moist on the inside and crispy on the outside......mmmmmm! :D

Maximus said:
Lol it was my not accepting SW chips that led to me buying the Tefal Actifry in the first place!

Are they worth the money? Because Green days and lush chips could be calling!!

This thread is great i have shied away from roasties since beginning SW , I just couldn't get em right but I'll have anotheer pop at it now , loads of great ideas thanks!

Back