Roughly how much weight do you have to lose to drop a dress size?

Yeah, I've noticed the weight differences as you go lower and lower in sizes seems to get smaller and smaller. I think it's because the smaller you get, sometimes you only need perhaps 7lb to lose that little bit of fat. I also think the sizing industry (especially for larger sizes) is pretty corrupt. Doesn't help psychologically, that's for sure!

I've been moaning a bit because I've lost almost two stone and I haven't gone down a dress size yet. My friend has a theory that, no one setting out on a diet does so when their clothes are comfortable, it's when they're getting tight, and also things have often stretched a little from being worn,so if you were to go shopping you may well be a size heavier than you're currently wearing; therefore you need to go down two dress sizes to go down one, if that makes sense (I haven't explained it very well!!). She also says once you are in the size lower it takes far less time and weight lost to get into the next one. I keep telling myself this for reassurance!

I'm only focussed on my weight until I get into a healthy BMI range really, then I would love to be a size 10-8. I don't think it's too farfetched for my age and I have so many 'thinspiration' clothes that size that I already bought ages ago!
I'm thinking I'll probably have to be 9.6st. Looking at mybodygallery.com, it seems 130lbs ish would be that kind of size!

travelswithafatgirl said:
I've been moaning a bit because I've lost almost two stone and I haven't gone down a dress size yet. My friend has a theory that, no one setting out on a diet does so when their clothes are comfortable, it's when they're getting tight, and also things have often stretched a little from being worn,so if you were to go shopping you may well be a size heavier than you're currently wearing; therefore you need to go down two dress sizes to go down one, if that makes sense (I haven't explained it very well!!). She also says once you are in the size lower it takes far less time and weight lost to get into the next one. I keep telling myself this for reassurance!

That's what I came to the conclusion with. Was convinced I was a size 20 at 17st1 but now at 15st12 I know that I am actually a 20 because I can feel the difference iny pants (still can't fit in a primark 20 though!).

When I started the diet I wanted to be an 18 to fit in my holiday clothes for August I am starting to think this won't happen now x

i've def lost a dress size and a bit! I was buying size 14 in Dorothy Perkins and yesterday I bought some shorts that fit and are size 10! But then i tried some jeans on that were size 10 and too tight. I think it depends on body shape etc xx

I was about a stone a dress size too. But as I got smaller, it took about a stone and a half.

Wow just looked on your facebook your before and after pics are amazing!

hippychick85 said:
That's what I came to the conclusion with. Was convinced I was a size 20 at 17st1 but now at 15st12 I know that I am actually a 20 because I can feel the difference iny pants (still can't fit in a primark 20 though!).

When I started the diet I wanted to be an 18 to fit in my holiday clothes for August I am starting to think this won't happen now x

have to agree with this, i was gutted when i was trying on jeans and hadn't gone down a size, but i know i was in denial about what size i was, especially as i tend to wear dresses a lot, now i go on jeans sizes and although i havnt gone down a size yet after I've lost a stone, im not too disheartened as i know i was probably a size bigger to start with!

Wow, mrs thunderbolt, I can't wait until I'm not reaching for the back of the rail to find the biggest size in primark! Have you posed any photos? I'd love to see the difference in you.

I know how you feel about reaching to the back. I get so depressed when searching and suddenly the dres sI'm looking at changes into something ugly or a different colour because it's a bigger size! I'd love to pick from the front and not be so worried if I've just wasted a load of money on buying something that's going to make me look horrible! It's also really distressing when you find something PERFECT for you but the sizes stop just before or maybe two sizes smaller than yourself! I've walked out of shops before so incredibly upset.

When i started out at 16st 9lbs I was wearing 20's, but realistically was prob a 22 as a lot of my 20's i wore in summer were too tight when i tried them on, so i guess i had stretched the ones i wore lots. I realised i was a 22 when i went to buy a rain coat and the 20 was far too tight and 22 was quite snug too and thats what kicked my bum to try slimming world!

I stayed in my 20's until i lost 2st, then squeezed into some 16's (they were prob 18's realistically elsewhere as i had a lot of 16's and only that pair fit) after losing another stone, i can fit into all the 16's comfortably, so i guess 1 stone per size if i was 22 and am now 16 after losing 3st 3lbs. I am a long way from 14 on bottom but can fit in 14 on top in some places, it seems like my top is going down quicker than bottom now? lol

I've lost 3 stone and only 1 size off my bottom half (my problem areas) but 3 sizes off my top half. Wish my bottom half would start catching up!

I started at 20st 1lb and was wearing a 20 top and 22 bottom,I'm now 13st 7lb and can fit into a 12/14 top and 14 bottom :)
So 6 1/2 stone = approx 4 sizes x

i agree with the theory from travelswithafatgirl. i've lost 2 stone and have gone from tight fitting 20s that were old and probably 22 really to just starting to sneak into some new 18 jeans. i really need to make the leap to 3 stone, i think it would get me close to 16 and you'd be able to see the difference. so far it's only me who knows really. obviously i'm doing it for me blah blah, but i'm doing it for me to look better lol! i want to be firmly into 18 territory by the end of July. i never want to buy a 20 again.

Well got my 2 stone award yesterday and I am now fitting in a lot of 18's (not all though). My problem area is still my hips and tummy, so I have lost 3 inches from my bust, 6 from my waist and 4 from my hips. Some 18's fit lovely and others cling a bit to my hips and tummy and I don't like that, some pants fit and others are to tight and have an overhang. My consultant said its important to tone up now as well so I am going to try and increase my exersize from 2-3 45 minute sessions to 3-4...or maybe try that 30 day shred thing x

I've lost just over 3.5 stone so far, and have gone from a 24 top 26 bottom to wearing 18-20 top (sometimes 16), 20-22 bottom depending on the shops. I have a few pairs of size 18 jeans donated to me that fit on the hips and legs, but there's too much tummy for them - so I know that basically I have to lose a few inches around there before I'll drop any more sizes (I may plant firmly into a 20 bottom instead though). Basically they'll drop as they drop, can't control that... I know I've lost quite a bit from my waist but not so much from my big ol' belly - which is why I've reduced so much on the top half I guess. And my legs are smaller.Tis more notiable there.

Roll on the days when I can buy 18 bottoms proper though!

Back