running question

jaxmummy

Silver Member
Has anyone started running at 16 st did you start with c25k or walking. I so want to get fit the gym hasnt been for me and even when i was smaller ive always envied people who can run. Please help if you can :wave_cry:

Has anyone started running at 16 st did you start with c25k or walking. I so want to get fit the gym hasnt been for me and even when i was smaller ive always envied people who can run. Please help if you can :wave_cry:

Hi jaxmummy, I started running the c25k originally at nearly 14st and I can't recommend it enough. I went from an absolute non runner (Who couldn't run to the end of the road without feeling like legs and lungs might explode) to comfortably running 5k and losing a stone and a half in 10 weeks.

Why not give it a go? You can always walk for a few weeks and then try again if it's too much at first. The gym isn't for me either, but running I can do. I just get dressed in my running gear and off I go, it's not easy but I was surprised that it's turned out to be the best exercise for me.

Ooh, had a bit of a ramble there :) do give it a go though!

I started doing the couch25k at 16.3 and I must be honest I do find it tough but I think that app is the best way to start off if you're a complete beginner to running I'm taking my time doing couch25k and I've to repeat some weeks a few times but I'm delighted I've got into it now and even though its hard I do enjoy it You should definitely try it and you'll get great satisfaction every time you complete each week Let me know how you get on Best of Luck :)

I remember when i first started running. I jumped on a treadmill and i was 21 stonne. I ran for 5 mins very slowly and then had to walk. The key to running is to build up slowly. Everyone is different and will improve at different pace. Just get your trainers on, make sure they are proper running trainers with plenty of cushioning and have a go. Would recommend 1 minute jog followed by 1 minute walk and build from there. If you can run on softer surfaces initially that will help.
I finished London Marathon last year so go for it and feel the rush of endomorphins, the weight will fly off :)

Great advice Enjoyo Well done on your massive achievement of completing the marathon :)

are you wanting to take part in races too?
if yes, get out on the road. its no good running on a treadmill if you plan to run outdoor races, unless its a treadmill race.

Started this today, wasn't to bad to be honest but definitely worked up a wee sweat.

I found it better to run on softer ground rather than concrete or tarmac as it can be quite tough on the shins.

I'm 16st at present

Ania
You are doing fab
Dont worry about what you can't do, just enjoy what you can and keep it going, the body is an amazing thing and in no time at all you will see huge gains in distance and times you can run for. There's no such thing as a bad run , sometimes it can be hard to get your trainers on, but once you are out of the door or pounding the treadmill you dont normally regret it.

Garymack
Dont worry about your weight, i'm 16 st and run 10k's 3 to 4 times a week. Just make sure you start slowly to give your body a chance to get stronger that way there's less chance of getting injured. Can be frustrating at first holding back but it's all about consistence and long term commitment. Have fun and watch the pounds melt away

Crispy
Cheers, Have entered Ballot for London Marathon today, fingers crossed ! Anyone else doing do it?

Gary

10k is amazing would love to run that one day at the moment I am just starting but do love it so nice to be out and about running. It's taking a little getting use to running in the sun need to get some summer running kit.

10k is amazing would love to run that one day at the moment I am just starting but do love it so nice to be out and about running. It's taking a little getting use to running in the sun need to get some summer running kit.

It's good to have a goal like running 10K but more important when you start is to enjoy it, so that you keep doing it regularly as that will help you achieve your goals. Also there is always someone who can run further and faster than you so just run within your limits and enjoy the sunshine :flirt2:

I do really enjoy it but need to slow down a little when I started running it was cold I like running when it's cooler weather and when it's dark at night. I am picking up some summer running clothes on Friday hoping that will make it better for me.

Back