Running to fabulous

Hi Jennie, been reading your diary, congrats on Great North Run, hope your foot is ok :) Getting myself ready for another 10k on 1st June, reading about other people's running and races gives me a kick to get up and go out training!

Physio last night told me plantar fasciitis, so laying off the running a little bit, and increasing strength training... Need to google some workouts today ready for tonight.

I am avoiding the scales tonight... Mine didn't look overly kind, and I don't need someone telling me I've gained weight and asking me why I've gained weight! Because I drank too much and ate nice food!!!!

Been back on plan since yesterday morning, and enjoying getting back to my healthy ways. Still unsure if I'm going to be ready for the rock n roll half in liverpool... only 5 weeks off it....

Course you will! You might not break any records but you'll be grand!
Can you spin or something in the mean time? I did that when I was laid off to help keep my cardio up! I did my strength exercises before it as a warm up then did spin and came out and spent 20 mins stretching. I used to be so good!!

Jen would you ever consider throwing in a couple of fast days? I know they aren't for everyone but for me, i tend to follow SW religiously 3 days a week, fast 2 days and then relax a little more (not too much thought!) the other 2 days and it's helped along with exercise to lost steadily most weeks! xx

Course you will! You might not break any records but you'll be grand!
Can you spin or something in the mean time? I did that when I was laid off to help keep my cardio up! I did my strength exercises before it as a warm up then did spin and came out and spent 20 mins stretching. I used to be so good!!

Jen would you ever consider throwing in a couple of fast days? I know they aren't for everyone but for me, i tend to follow SW religiously 3 days a week, fast 2 days and then relax a little more (not too much thought!) the other 2 days and it's helped along with exercise to lost steadily most weeks! xx

Spinning classes would be a good idea! We have a class called Circa Spin? Any ideas???
Strength moves I'm presuming stuff like squats and lunges..? I've not googled yet, hoping that will help me get more of an idea.

I wouldn't mind trying fast days, but probably as a last resort kind of thing, like the 2 weeks before holiday... I think slimming world generally works fine for me, as and when I keep focussed, Sunday was just a crazy day with the race and so many friends racing too, we ended up just staying out and partying all day in our running gear... Ooops!

Back on it now, and hoping to get rid of the bloat and a few extra lb's before holiday.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Liverpool rock 'n' roll. I'm thinking I'll try and keep up my long runs and just do other cardio and strength mid-week.

Did your physio not give you exercises? That's a shame. My podiatrist gave me loads. Lots of single leg balances and squats. I had to do quite a bit to strengthen my hips and glutes too as that's where my weakness mainly stemmed from.

No, he basically said it was plantar fasciitis and that there are lots of things that could have caused it but the most likely thing is that it's just been the increase in training and the fact I heel strike when I run.

So he's advised me on icing, stretching, tennis ball on my foot, etc and advised that another thing that will help is strength training in general. He's said to see how I go for a couple of weeks and then go back if its getting no better or worse, and he would come out and watch how I'm running.

I'm probably pretty rubbish myself as I didn't ask for specific exercises, I'm guessing he would set up a programme if I was definitely going back, but for now I think he feels its something I can monitor myself?

I don't know mate, I'm not a professional like those guys but if I was paying for a physio/podiatrist, I'd want them to do a thorough assessment and give me specific advice re reducing chance of reinjury as well as getting better this time.

If this is something that has been niggling you for a while and you want to get back to training asap, I'd want a focused plan rather than just "general strength training" otherwise you run the risk of it flaring up again when you're in the midst of training.

I don't know mate, I'm not a professional like those guys but if I was paying for a physio/podiatrist, I'd want them to do a thorough assessment and give me specific advice re reducing chance of reinjury as well as getting better this time.

If this is something that has been niggling you for a while and you want to get back to training asap, I'd want a focused plan rather than just "general strength training" otherwise you run the risk of it flaring up again when you're in the midst of training.

I know what you are saying, man, I don't know what to do now, do you think I'm being fobbed off then, feels like I'm going from pillar to post lol

Eugh I don't know mate. I don't want you to feel like that and I didn't mean to annoy you but I'm just thinking it's important to get it sorted out properly now.

I think it's always really important to ask around (work, running friends etc) and get a recommendation from someone who had a previous injury for a good physio/podiatrist, as it's so easy for them to send you out the door and tell you to RICE... as that's obv gonna make it better for now but it doesn't resolve the underlying weaknesses that have caused it.

Eugh I don't know mate. I don't want you to feel like that and I didn't mean to annoy you but I'm just thinking it's important to get it sorted out properly now.

I think it's always really important to ask around (work, running friends etc) and get a recommendation from someone who had a previous injury for a good physio/podiatrist, as it's so easy for them to send you out the door and tell you to RICE... as that's obv gonna make it better for now but it doesn't resolve the underlying weaknesses that have caused it.

Oh no I'm not annoyed, just frustrated with things more than anything. I can't really afford to keep going back either so hopefully getting a referral through occupational health and maybe they can help me more.

Both physio's I've seen have been recommended to me, one through the club and another through a friend. First Physio through the club told me heel pad damage, to rest and then gradually get back to it and work on mid-foot striking, all stretches and stuff to do. Then this 2nd one last night told me pretty much the same but that it was plantar fasciitis and is localised in my heel mainly, to carry on with the stretching etc, and he also said my calves don't feel tight at all, so the foam roller is working its magic.

But yeah, he said to put more strength training into my workouts, as generally its caused by problems with lack of strength in other areas. But didn't give me any specific stuff to do. Booooo. I just want it to be sorted now!

Wednesday 13th May

Today is my attempt at another fresh start after Sunday's antics. It looks like I'm getting some physio on my foot now through work, although it is feeling a lot better than it was! After the race on Sunday it was really sore, but I ended up staying on my feet for the rest of the day and then Monday morning... It wasn't that bad?! Which was a shocker to be honest. Monday night physio, it was a little tender after he had been messing about with it and then Tuesday and this morning not bad at all....

I have a 4 mile race that I could do tonight, although I'm not 100% about going, I'm thinking I might go to the gym and do some cycling on the bikes and then some squats/lunges and core stuff...? And then there is a timed 5k round Salford Quays tomorrrow night which I think I fancy. Did it last week and really enjoyed it. Could do with smashing a PB out too... :)

Food Today
B: Egg, bakedbeans, bacon medallions, mushrooms, spinach, ROAR sausage. White coffee from Mcdonalds (Any ideas on syns?? Or HexA allowance?)

L: Tesco Sweet chilli chicken and salad (Leaves, tomato, cucumber and pepper). Tesco fruit pot (Strawberries, kiwi and melon).

S: Apple. 2 x easy peelers. 2 x alpen lights.

T: Something chicken based... Possibly diet coke chicken? Need to dig out the recipe though or I have some stir fry veg and packets of sauce from aldi.

Did you find your watch really helped you smash your PB on sunday??! xx

I'm not sure really, I think it did help in the fact I was always more aware of how much slower I was going when I tired a little? Where as usually I wouldn't even realise.

Thursday 14th May

Last night was fairly successful! I managed a syn free day :) And I went to my first ever insanity class at the gym. It didn't seem as professional as some of the videos I've seen online, but it was a new instructor to the gym, only a half hour class and only 6 of us doing the class?! Really enjoyed it though and I would go again!

Tonight's plan in the Great Run Local at Salford Quays, it's a timed 5k, and my plan is to add a couple of miles on, maybe a warm up mile and a cool down mile. Once I'm home, I'm thinking I'll do a few squats and lunges in an attempt to start building a bit more strength.

Food Today

B: Bacon and mushroom omelette with baked beans and spinach

s: banana, apple, hifi bar

L: Salad (leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper and onion) mackerel in tomato sauce, yogurt and melon

T: Diet coke chicken with sweet potato wedges

Wish I hadn't even bothered checking the scales this morning. I thought after a good week on plan, I would have at least sts... Oh no! 1.5lb on before I've even eaten anything.

Let's hope my body gets rid of it all tonight......

No idea. I knew I had a put on 2lb last week, after my sunday of cocktails and tapas, so I was aiming for a STS this week to counteract it. I've had 1 day over syns, but saved all my syns on weds/thurs. All I can think is that the curry and gin bloated me more than I thought it would...?

Going to take my food diary to group see if the consultant can figure it out.
Will more than likely jump on the 5:2 wagon though sooner rather than later if it doesn't start to work.

I've got less than 4 weeks until my next race :)
Slightly behind on training due to injury/illness, but got my plan now and i'm not afraid to use it. The injury is still there, but not half as bad as it was and so long as I keep my eye on it, it will hopefully ease off more on its own. Another Physio appt booked for next Thursday though.
I did 7 miles yesterday, 7.5km on friday (treadmill works in KM's) and I did an insanity class too.
The plan this week is... Insanity or spin tonight, Tues REST, Weds 2M team relay with the club, Thurs 5KM Great local run, adding 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down, and Sunday 9 miles :)

Food is all on plan. I'm going to sit and think more about what I'm actually eating I think this week, as SW weight loss seems to have slowed right down for some reason, and all I can think of is its the foods I am eating alongside building my training back up again.

I also need to do measurements. So I'll take them tomorrow after group.

What's the race and what date is it? I think we have a similar race goal!

I have a half on 17th June :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Mine is the Liverpool Rock 'n' roll half marathon :) Sunday 14th June, so 4 weeks yesterday. I feel completely unprepared for it. I feel like I haven't been running properly for such a long time now. Excited to get another half marathon under my belt though.

Not aiming for a PB, just to get around it comfortably.

Back