Running!

littlemeercat

I had to share as I'm really pleased with myself. For the last 5 weeks I've been doing interval training on the running machine at the gym - 2 minutes walk, 2 minutes run for 24 minutes. Last night I decided just to see how long I could run for and I ran for 10 minutes!!!!

I've never ran for this length of time before and it's put me in such a good mood. My fitness levels have improved so much. At the moment I love the gym!!:D

Well done littlemeercat. Interval training is fab for building up stamina. Have you tried C25k? Its a great programme that really does work wonders

I'm the same with my exercise bike now.

I have super dodgy knees so running was too impact heavy on them, I bought a bike and started off doing "a family guy episode" on them (most of my work outs are measured by the length of a tv show!). So I started off at 20 minutes on level 3. After 2 months I am now doing "2 CSI's" (about 90 mins) on it at level 5.
I've noticed it really bolsters my weight loss!

Thank you Sweet pink and BrightonMark for your support. My long term aim is to run Race for Life next year - the 10k and actually be able to run it. :eek:

Wow! I wish I could run, can't wait till I'm fit enough! I have been walking 2 miles every other day until I build up my fitness. I have a dodgy ankle and knee so wouldn't even attempt a light jog at the minute! Hehe

wow well done :D id love 2 b able to run. That's my aim for when i go back to the gym. I've downloaded the C25k but im 2 self conscious to go running outside x

well done! I'd love to be able to run again, I used to be a great runner!!

Thank you Sweet pink and BrightonMark for your support. My long term aim is to run Race for Life next year - the 10k and actually be able to run it. :eek:

Thats fantastic & great to have a goal. I've just finished week 7 of C25k & I plan to move on to b210k after it to work on my distance. I'm definitely going to have a go at the RFL next year though I'm not sure what distances they have local to me but would be good if there was a 10k to have that to aim for.:)

Hey i ran 8 mins straight tonight too after doing the cross trainer! Was soo happy well done hun xxxxxxxxx

This is my goal...to be able to run :) Ive got my induction for the gym next monday and ive also booked into yoga, aquafit and a step class to improve on my fitness level...which is non exsistant at the min lol. I have artheritis in my hips and knees tho so this doesnt help, im not sure if starting the c25k program will make my knees worse or not

I notice a couple of peeps have been mentioning dodgy knees stopping them running. Have you all tried biking? at first I was dubious, but after starting on a low resistance and building up I find my knees have got much stronger. Biking and cross training can allow you to work out without the impact of running which can be harmful to weak knees, backs, ankles etc!

It's nice to hear of other people who are wanting do build up (very gradually!) their running. I started off running for 1 minute then walking for 2 at a slow speed, and then increased it when I felt ready to. I don't run outside, similarly to jammy biccy85, I feel too self conscious, but I'm happy on the treadmill at the moment. One day I'll brave outside but probably not until I've lost another half stone or so - by then I'll need new gym clothes as mine are getting on the baggy side now. My fitness levels are definately improving and I like knowing I have an aim to work towards.

I notice a couple of peeps have been mentioning dodgy knees stopping them running. Have you all tried biking? at first I was dubious, but after starting on a low resistance and building up I find my knees have got much stronger. Biking and cross training can allow you to work out without the impact of running which can be harmful to weak knees, backs, ankles etc!

I have got to second what youre saying BrightonMark. My grandmother was diagnosed with arthritis in her knees & had a to have physio sessions which amongst a few other things included short sessions (3mins, shes nearly 80 though) on an exercise bike. After the physio stopped she found her mobility & joint pain worsening so bought herself an exercise bike of her own & now does 10 minutes in the morning & 10 in the evening while watching TV. It has helped her soo much in such a short space of time

Mark, thats exactly what im doing at the min on the advice of the guy who worked at the gym i used to go to. Some days my knees dont bother me at all, other days its painful to walk.

To start with i coud only manage about 5 mins on a bike before it left me in agony for the rest of the night.....3 weeks later i can easily do 20mins sometimes 30 without it bothering me at all....i did try and do 45 mins the other day....but later that night i had to crawl up the stairs haha lesson learnt!

Biking is definatly helping, i find it a lot better then swimming too which people, including my dr, also reccomended...im determined to be running by oct tho :)

sweet pink said:
I have got to second what youre saying BrightonMark. My grandmother was diagnosed with arthritis in her knees & had a to have physio sessions which amongst a few other things included short sessions (3mins, shes nearly 80 though) on an exercise bike. After the physio stopped she found her mobility & joint pain worsening so bought herself an exercise bike of her own & now does 10 minutes in the morning & 10 in the evening while watching TV. It has helped her soo much in such a short space of time

I've been doing c25k but my knee has let me down. I've discovered ab upright cycle with a chair seat at my gym that I'll be using, problem is I get bored, the intervals of c25k kept me focussed, so either I'll use the podcasts with the bike or take a book! I thought id alternate with rowing, can't do the elliptical, I did 3 minutes this morning and it nearly killed me!

Oh but by the way my legs look blimmin great with the running!!! I also do dumbbells and my arms are coming along nicely!

Couch25k is fab!! I followed that to do
race for life 5k in July. I lost my way a bit after that when I moved as I had to run on my own :-(

I tried Bridge to 10k but as I has let my running slip I couldn't keep up!! So I have downloaded couch10k and started at week 5!! I have now increased my overall distance and I am working on my speed!!

I have registered my interest for GNR 2012!! That is my aim for 2012 as well as do race for life and 10k races.

Interval training rocks!!

In the past my knees have bothered me in everyday life and was told by the doc to lose weight. The advice he should've given me was to do leg exercises and strengthen my legs!! The running touch wood has not affected my knees!!

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Sorry to sound really stupid but what's the c25k stuff and where do I get it from. I want to start running and have heard it mentioned loads on here but I have no idea what it is !

It's an app for iPod. It's basically run/walk intervals to basically get u eventually running 5k in 30 mins without stopping. It's 9 weeks programme!!

I love running or jogging going off my lack of speed!!

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Last night, I've finally now run 5k in 36 minutes. Really pleased with this, but my legs ached so much this morning!!

Back