Saggy Skin vs Being Overweight! What would you choose?

LianneJane5687

Ok so here's a debate!

I posted another thread about GP's giving free Gym Membership and thought i'd start a debate!

Would you rather lose weight and have saggy skin or deal with being overweight?

I've always been overweight and growing up i developed stretchmarks because of it so when i lost 7 stone a few years ago I was left with a lot of lose skin and still didn't feel happy and comfortable like i'd hoped when i lost weight, i couldn't wear the clothes i wanted to wear and spent a lot of time covering up my lower half (and my boobs), I got referred to see a surgeon who said i'd be a great candidate to have surgery considering how much weight i lost but then the GP called me to say they couldn't afford funding and it got me really depressed so piled on the weight again and then i was still really unhappy being 'big', I now want to lose the weight again and want to go to the Gym (rather than have an operation) but can't afford it so was going to go to the doctors to see if they could help but on the other thread someone posted that sometimes no amount of exercise will get rid of the saggy skin and you can't get it done on the NHS anymore. I'd never be able to afford surgery and now i feel really down because it made me think i'm never gonna be happy with the way my body is. The lowest i was able to get down to before was 12st and because of my saggy i'm never going to reach my ideal weight and will always be classed as overweight :(

LianneJane5687 said:
Ok so here's a debate!

I posted another thread about GP's giving free Gym Membership and thought i'd start a debate!

Would you rather lose weight and have saggy skin or deal with being overweight?

I've always been overweight and growing up i developed stretchmarks because of it so when i lost 7 stone a few years ago I was left with a lot of lose skin and still didn't feel happy and comfortable like i'd hoped when i lost weight, i couldn't wear the clothes i wanted to wear and spent a lot of time covering up my lower half (and my boobs), I got referred to see a surgeon who said i'd be a great candidate to have surgery considering how much weight i lost but then the GP called me to say they couldn't afford funding and it got me really depressed so piled on the weight again and then i was still really unhappy being 'big', I now want to lose the weight again and want to go to the Gym (rather than have an operation) but can't afford it so was going to go to the doctors to see if they could help but on the other thread someone posted that sometimes no amount of exercise will get rid of the saggy skin and you can't get it done on the NHS anymore. I'd never be able to afford surgery and now i feel really down because it made me think i'm never gonna be happy with the way my body is. The lowest i was able to get down to before was 12st and because of my saggy i'm never going to reach my ideal weight and will always be classed as overweight :(

Hi

I would probably choose to lose the weight because of the detrimental effect on my health of being overweight. How quickly did you lose the weight before? I don't know if it's true but I've heard that losing weight slowly while exercising could help reduce the excess skin.

I hope I didn't depress you by my answer on the other thread - sorry if I did (eek :)). I am not a health professional so don't take my word for it. In answer to this thread, personally I would rather have baggy skin and be healthy.

Thank you all for your comments :) I was thinking about it last night and thought the same.

Baggy skin all the way for me too. A tummy tuck & a boob job can fix the excess skin if needed :)

I'm already saving for the boob job :)

I'd never be able to afford surgery so that's out of the question for me. I'm going to the docs in the morning to see if they can advise me

LianneJane5687 said:
I'd never be able to afford surgery so that's out of the question for me. I'm going to the docs in the morning to see if they can advise me

That's a good idea, talk through all your concerns and hopefully they'll be able to help.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you i will do.
I see all these photos of when people have lost weight and are so slim you'd never know they had lost so much weight....that's what i want to be like, i don't want to hide away in baggy clothes and still have no confidence but i think i'm going to have to live with the fact i'm never going to feel and look the way i want to.

Thank you i will do.
I see all these photos of when people have lost weight and are so slim you'd never know they had lost so much weight....that's what i want to be like, i don't want to hide away in baggy clothes and still have no confidence but i think i'm going to have to live with the fact i'm never going to feel and look the way i want to.

You don't need to hide away in baggy clothes. Check out Jessikaslashes Before and Afters thread you would never dream from her pics that she has loose skin but she says she does x

Thank you i'll have a look.

Well the doctor said there's nothing they can do for me :( all i wanted was some advise and he said only surgery will get rid of it and it's not available on the NHS so there's nothing he can say to me that's gonna help :(

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I am glad he was honest but just wish there was something that could get rid of it

I don't understand why he's saying its bit available. I have a friend who is going through the referral process just now on NHS. She lost 10stone and had to meet with a surgeon and then a psychiatrist as part of the assessment.

She is back meeting with the surgeon this month to find out if she will be able to have the op - she's pretty much been told she will.

Funding varies from area to area but even when the policy says no you might get funding via the exceptional cases committee. To qualify you will have needed to maintain your weight for a given period ( usually a year) at prescribed BMI ( usually 27 or below) and have a medical need for surgery e.g. constant skin infections, break down of the skin, ulcers, etc.
it's too early for you (or your GP) to know whether you have a medical problem or not.
Even though I am having terrible trouble coming to terms with my loose skin I'd choose it over my 12 extra stone any time !
Good luck hun xx

Thank you for the replies.
To be honest i'm not even 100% i'd want surgery, I was hoping exercise alone would help but obviously if things got too bad i'd consider it.
I'm not sure if depression qualifies in the medical category :/ but i do suffer from it and sometimes it does get quite bad but i don't think it will.

Back